Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP URGENT!! 4l60e leaking from bellhousing!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP URGENT!! 4l60e leaking from bellhousing!

Thought it was the front trans seal (still do) so I had it replaced yesterday. Didn't get to test it after they replaced the seal but today I took her out for a spin, did a few WOTs, stopped at a light and it was as if someone placed a smoke machine under my car!
The trans fluid was leaking and with the wind it got on the exhaust, hence the smoke. Its what used to happen before replacing the seal anyway.
Leaks the worst when you go heavy on the throttle.

I pull over at a parking lot to have a look under the car and not was it only dripping from the bellhousing, it was literally pouring!

Did they do a poor job replacing the seal or could there be another problem that exhibits such symptom???
Old 07-24-2014, 09:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

How did the converter hub look? Could be worn a little or maybe some transmission bushing wear..... Or possible a crack in the converter hub/weld. Sounds like it needs to come back out and reevaluate.

Chris
Old 07-24-2014, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Circle-D
How did the converter hub look? Could be worn a little or maybe some transmission bushing wear..... Or possible a crack in the converter hub/weld. Sounds like it needs to come back out and reevaluate.

Chris
I was sitting in the waiting room on my phone while looking at them work on my transmission thru the glass. So unfortunately I have no idea how it looked.
Usually thou, what else besides the pump seal (front seal) would cause a leak from the bellhousing when "under pressure"?
Old 07-24-2014, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be po at who was in there and didn't check everything while it was apart. But if they did they going to see it again. lol
Old 07-24-2014, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

So anyone on my question?
About to head out the shop and just want to be a little bit knowledgeable about this before I get there since evidently I can't trust them...

Basically my question is...

What else besides the front pump seal could cause fluid to leak out of the bellhousing?

Last edited by Freefallin; 07-24-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Front pump bushing, converter hub wear, converter hub cracked, converter weld leaking are the most common - but always more strange possibilities.

Chris
Old 07-24-2014, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Circle-D
Front pump bushing, converter hub wear, converter hub cracked, converter weld leaking are the most common - but always more strange possibilities.

Chris
Alright. What about the pump o-ring? Could that going bad cause a leak from the bellhousing? Does that happen?

And how long does it take to replace the bushing? Is it a difficult job if the transmission is already out?

Last edited by Freefallin; 07-24-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:36 PM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

There is no "pump o-ring", perhaps you are referring to the o-ring at the end of the input shaft. If this o-ring is missing you don't get lockup, it would not cause a leak.

The front trans seal is trivial to replace with just the converter out. (In contrast, replacing the front trans bushing requires disassembly - removing the trans pump.)

Are you really sure it is leaking out of the bell housing. An overheated or over-filled trans will leak out of the top vent with fluid going all over the place.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mrvedit
There is no "pump o-ring", perhaps you are referring to the o-ring at the end of the input shaft. If this o-ring is missing you don't get lockup, it would not cause a leak.

The front trans seal is trivial to replace with just the converter out. (In contrast, replacing the front trans bushing requires disassembly - removing the trans pump.)

Are you really sure it is leaking out of the bell housing. An overheated or over-filled trans will leak out of the top vent with fluid going all over the place.
Can't be over filled as the dip stick shows either low fluid or the correct amount.

So far I understand that a leak from the bellhousing could be due to...
1) Front pump seal
2) Pump bushing
3) Physical damage to the converter

Is the above correct?

Also...

It CANNOT be due to...
1) Pump o-ring

Correct?

How about the input shaft seal? I hear there is one and that that could cause a leak.
And if there is physical damage to the converter enough to cause a leak, would it be visible?

Last edited by Freefallin; 07-24-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok I just got back from the shop. They UNhappily took the transmission off after saying a whole bunch of stuff such as that it can't be the front seal and that it most probably is the pump or the converter that got damaged.

After waiting a few hours (like 6), they lifted the car and removed the transmission to see why it was leaking. Their possibilities were...
1) Converter
2) A crack on the pump
3) Pump o-ring

This is what I saw when they took the converter out:

HELP URGENT!! 4l60e leaking from bellhousing!-forumrunner_20140725_043222.png

The guy looks at it and says he can't see anything wrong. I asked him to inspect the converter since he said it could be it, so he looks at the side that was facing up which was the side that faces the pump and reluctantly says he can't see anything wrong. I asked him to have a look at the other side but he didn't want to spill the trans fluid. Anyway, had a look at it when it was in the bellhousing and it seemed OK.

Then came time to take off the seal to replace it...again.

The guy breaks out a long flat head screw driver and a hammer and starts banging away.
This is how things looked after the seal was off:

HELP URGENT!! 4l60e leaking from bellhousing!-forumrunner_20140725_044740.png

HELP URGENT!! 4l60e leaking from bellhousing!-forumrunner_20140725_044816.png

HELP URGENT!! 4l60e leaking from bellhousing!-forumrunner_20140725_044853.png

HELP URGENT!! 4l60e leaking from bellhousing!-forumrunner_20140725_044921.png

Now I'm not a transmission expert but doesn't that look like damage that would cause a leak? That's how they got it off the first time, the scar on the right is todays and on the left is yesterdays

They hammered the new seal in with the edge of a hammer (cz the hammer handle head was too long for the head to hit flat on the seal lip). It took a while cz whenever he hit one side, the other side would pop out. Finally they managed to get it in using an extension wrench.

They put everything back together and I backed the car out of the garage. I get out of the car and I see a trail of trans fluid from under my car to a puddle where my car was being serviced. Basically, the problem got way way worst.

The guy tells me that I will have to get a new converter and a pump!

What do you guys think??

Last edited by Freefallin; 07-25-2014 at 04:03 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:10 PM

Sorry, I don't have the experience to answer your question,
hopefully one of the pros can examine those pics and give you a definitive answer.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

It looks and sounds like you need to find another repair shop.

It is hard to tell from the pics but it looks like the pump bushing is sticking out of the pump a little. I would have the pump bushing checked out by someone who knows what they are looking at. As far as the damage where the seal goes, you run a file over it to knock off the high stops and put some kind of sealant on the inside edge of the seal when it is installed.

Have someone who is not blind inspect the converter for cracks.

Find another shop!!!! They should be able to tell you where the leak is coming from, it’s not rocket science.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever get this issue fixed? I'm having the same problem.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bradley K Lambert
Did you ever get this issue fixed? I'm having the same problem.
Was the front pump seal already replaced?
Old 04-12-2016, 12:46 PM

Ive replaced front seal, O'ring around front pump, o'rings on all front pump bolts, and front pump bushion. Still poured fluid immediately after replacing.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Is the pump bushing touching the inside lip of the pump seal?
Old 04-12-2016, 09:52 PM

No, bushion is not touching the seal. I just bought a new torque converter in case it has wear on the hub. Going to replace the front seal again, and give it another try.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:11 AM

I've heard of excessive pump bushing wear causing the seal to wear prematurely, but don't if that is ever a possibility and whether that might be your problem.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: HELP URGENT!! 4l60e leaking from bellhousing!