Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 shifter and flex plate

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TH400 shifter and flex plate

Well I guess im going TH400 because 4L80e is costing me too much money to get going. So my questions are: What flexplate do I use for a LT1? Does the bolt pattern or tooth count need to be any different? Next, what shifters are you guys using to fit in the stock location? Without making it sit a foot above stock position? This is the look I want:

Post #23
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...php?p=11433814

Please help me if you can. Thanks a lot!
Old 11-09-2014, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is this an impossible question or something?
Old 11-13-2014, 01:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not impossible, just not common to find LT1 experts on LS1tech. For LS based engines, TCI makes a conversion flexplate for a 98-02 LS1 engine, with a th350/th400/PG converter bolt pattern. I'm sure they make something similar for the LT1 engine. I would give TCI a call and see if they can help you out.

As far as a shifter, installing an aftermarket shifter of any kind is going to take custom work. There is not one that is a bolt in design. You can make them work with both the auto center consoles, and the 6 speed ones. You just have to measure carefully, and place the shifter in a location to which you can modify the console to clear. Popular shifters are the B&M Pro Ratchet, and Hurst Quarter Stick.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro396
Not impossible, just not common to find LT1 experts on LS1tech. For LS based engines, TCI makes a conversion flexplate for a 98-02 LS1 engine, with a th350/th400/PG converter bolt pattern. I'm sure they make something similar for the LT1 engine. I would give TCI a call and see if they can help you out.

As far as a shifter, installing an aftermarket shifter of any kind is going to take custom work. There is not one that is a bolt in design. You can make them work with both the auto center consoles, and the 6 speed ones. You just have to measure carefully, and place the shifter in a location to which you can modify the console to clear. Popular shifters are the B&M Pro Ratchet, and Hurst Quarter Stick.
Dude I really appreciate you chiming in and helping me! We have a LT1 section that pretty knowledgeable on LT1's but I thought I would post here since it was dealing with the trans.

Plus I talked to my converter guy and also learned that I can use a TH350 converter (smaller bolt pattern) that would fit my 153T flexplate in the TH400 trans. They are essentially the same Converters, the TH400 converter has a larger bolt pattern and would require me to purchase a new flexplate and starter to work correctly.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:02 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

There is also a Sticky for installing a TH400/TH350 onto an LS engine:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...questions.html

The suggested dual-pattern flexplate is the best way to go; GM also makes a dual-pattern flexplate (see below). Alternatively you can elongate the holes in your existing flexplate.
You also need a spacer after the flexplate to make sure the shorter TH400 converter pilot is properly seated. Cheap pilot extenders are available, and often included with converters, but recall problems with them such as rattling.
Here are some part numbers:
12563532 flexplate to crank spacer
19257940 bolts $5.28(need 6 bolts)
19260102 dual-pattern flexplate
Old 11-13-2014, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrvedit
There is also a Sticky for installing a TH400/TH350 onto an LS engine:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...questions.html

The suggested dual-pattern flexplate is the best way to go; GM also makes a dual-pattern flexplate (see below). Alternatively you can elongate the holes in your existing flexplate.
You also need a spacer after the flexplate to make sure the shorter TH400 converter pilot is properly seated. Cheap pilot extenders are available, and often included with converters, but recall problems with them such as rattling.
Here are some part numbers:
12563532 flexplate to crank spacer
19257940 bolts $5.28(need 6 bolts)
19260102 dual-pattern flexplate
Thanks for the input. But I am pretty sure it is a tad bit different with me having a LT1 and not an LS motor. I have found different forums results using a TH350 converter and my stock style flexplate
Old 11-13-2014, 01:41 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampWS6
Thanks for the input. But I am pretty sure it is a tad bit different with me having a LT1 and not an LS motor. I have found different forums results using a TH350 converter and my stock style flexplate
Oops, yes, parts will be different and you would not need the spacer.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I also make shifter plates that allow certain aftermarket shifters work inside the factory console.. If you like the one you showed the picture of, I don't have that exact shifter but I do make a plate for one very similar. It's for the B&M stealth pro. It's a full ratchet shifter. You can PM me for pics.

Quick Reply: TH400 shifter and flex plate