Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto transmission questions

Long story short, I believe my 4l60e is toast. When you let off the throttle, it makes a terrible roar that is very similar to the sound of a semi slowing down on the highway. It also grinds really bad when put in reverse. I was considering replacing the 4l60e with a rebuilt 4l65e. I was looking at a monster but they seem a bit too expensive for me at the moment.

I am looking at a rebuilt 4l65e from Broad Street performace in Richmond Va, but I can not find any reviews. I don't want to be stuck buying a transmission and it turning out to be a nightmare like what I have read about Mad Dog.

http://www.broad-street-performance-center.com/

The engine is a 98 LS1 with 806 castings on the head and the car is a 2004 Mazda RX8. I want the car to run smooth and drive fine.

So my questions are: Where can I find an affordable rebuilt 4l65e? Is the 4l65e the better choice?

Unfortunately, I can not find anyone locally (right now) that has a rebuilt transmission or a 4l65e for that matter. I live in Charleston Sc and my options are slim. I dont plan on adding any power mods to the engine UNTIL everything is sorted on the car and its performing flawless.

I apologize in advance for such an ignorant understanding and I appreciate all help and support. Thank you.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:10 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

If that website is legit, those are some hard to beat prices.
I would without a doubt get the upgraded 60e. Those transmissions are very brittle and I end up needing to rebuild a LOT of them on the cars I do.
If you ever plan on making big power, just do yourself a favor and skip to the 80e.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:24 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

The domain broad-street-performance-center.com is only 9 months old, meaning that is the age of the website.

According to BBB the business started in 2005 but closed in 2012:
https://www.bbb.org/richmond/busines...nd-va-21018200

Go to Google Maps and enter "2820 W Broad St, Richmond, VA" and get a street view.
That might help you decide.

Before considering Monster Transmission, search this forum! Here is one thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...uld-i-run.html

A major city like Charleston SC will have plenty of trans shops that can rebuild a 4L60E around $1000. Ask what upgrades they typically install, especially for the 3/4 clutch. Document it, post it here and we will help you decide where to go.

Better yet, Sponsor PerformaBuilt sells their most basic rebuild around $1000. I'm very confident that will be better than what you have mentioned so far.
EDIT: OOPS - the $1000 is to rebuild their own units. A rebuilt 4L60E starts at $1900 with shipping.

Last edited by mrvedit; 11-15-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrvedit
The domain broad-street-performance-center.com is only 9 months old, meaning that is the age of the website.

According to BBB the business started in 2005 but closed in 2012:
https://www.bbb.org/richmond/busines...nd-va-21018200

Go to Google Maps and enter "2820 W Broad St, Richmond, VA" and get a street view.
That might help you decide.

Before considering Monster Transmission, search this forum! Here is one thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...uld-i-run.html

A major city like Charleston SC will have plenty of trans shops that can rebuild a 4L60E around $1000. Ask what upgrades they typically install, especially for the 3/4 clutch. Document it, post it here and we will help you decide where to go.

Better yet, Sponsor PerformaBuilt sells their most basic rebuild around $1000. I'm very confident that will be better than what you have mentioned so far.
I spoke with Performa and they told me that they do not offer a transmission close to $1000. A local shop said it would run $2000 to remove the transmission, rebuilt it with a 7 clutch pack, beast sunshell, different valve, all new seals, and to reinstall it in the Mazda. It would run 1300 if I brought them the transmission.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Helical
I spoke with Performa and they told me that they do not offer a transmission close to $1000. A local shop said it would run $2000 to remove the transmission, rebuilt it with a 7 clutch pack, beast sunshell, different valve, all new seals, and to reinstall it in the Mazda. It would run 1300 if I brought them the transmission.
2000 with that rebuild installed is a freaking steal.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mappinsj
2000 with that rebuild installed is a freaking steal.
I might have a much better deal. A co worker has a lift and transmission jack that we can use. So we are going to remove the transmission and take it to a shop who he knows. We also know someone willing to sell me the kits I need at cost. So, I may beef up the 4l60 and possibly a ratchet shifter. If I go this route, I could also buy a mild cam.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:22 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Sorry about the pricing mistake. I update my post above with the correct info after calling Frank @ PerformaBuilt.
Obviously by removing/re-installing the trans yourself you can save a lot of money and have a wider range of options.

Last edited by mrvedit; 11-15-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Sorry about the pricing mistake.
Obviously by removing/re-installing the trans yourself you can save a lot of money and have a wider range of options.
I will probably end up removing it myself and spending the money on a stronger rebuild. I want the car just to run smooth, but also I want to drive it without worrying about the transmission failing. I am going to stop by the shop and see if they can get me a detailed printout of the rebuild parts list.

Quick Reply: Auto transmission questions