Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I messed up and over filled my 4L60e.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 11:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I messed up and over filled my 4L60e.

So I over filled my trans. I was on the highway doing heavy pulls and it started puking fluid out the back. Back of my car was entirely covered. Pulled over after noticing and it blew fluid out of every hole it could find, even back out of the dipstick.

I am guessing that the pressure built up so hard the 2nd gear clutch pack must have been engaged at the time of maximum pressure build up. It started slipping right on out of the gear and the engagement felt very weak. Now it is almost gone and I am pretty sure over filling the trans is what killed it. I am pretty bumped. Just want everyone to know, when you read don't over fill, please do yourself a favor and don't over fill. I killed a great transmission tonight and its all my own damn fault.

(From a post that was merged in here) Mine blew out second gear tonight because it was too full and built up too much pressure.

Last edited by mrvedit; 02-12-2017 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Moderator merged theads - added above line for clarity
Old 02-12-2017, 12:21 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

What do you mean??? "Mine blew out second gear tonight because it was too full and built up too much pressure." Broke the case? Broke the 2-4 band? Overfilling the transmission cannot not increase line pressure. If way overfull (way more than a quart), it can cause fluctuation in line pressure from aeration, and this in turn can burn up the 2-4 band, and or other clutches....
Old 02-12-2017, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PBA
What do you mean??? "Mine blew out second gear tonight because it was too full and built up too much pressure." Broke the case? Broke the 2-4 band? Overfilling the transmission cannot not increase line pressure. If way overfull (way more than a quart), it can cause fluctuation in line pressure from aeration, and this in turn can burn up the 2-4 band, and or other clutches....
It probably frothed up inside and second gear clutches took the brunt of it. Car progressively started losing 2nd gear. It would hold and then break away. Now its about gone.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Plenty of folks have added a extra half quart over capacity to help the 2-3 shift and never had a issue.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

It was massively over filled.
Had to have foamed up and the stall added too much pressure and it went
Old 02-12-2017, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

With new clean fluid it is sometimes hard to read the level on the dipstick
Old 02-12-2017, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah. I was looking for heavy red and it was pink. It was over by a lot
Old 02-12-2017, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Over filling a automatic will not burn up a transmission! Running the dog **** out of it will cause the fluid to heat up and vent ,trans fluid expands when its gets hot. thats why the level is different between hot/cold. Did you try to drive it home after it dumped the fluid??? if so thats why it **** the bed.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Yes. after it dumped the fluid I drove it. I stopped at a gas station, idled for a few minutes and went home. After about 1 mile the second gear was breaking away.

I just took it around my circle and the 2nd gear engages but it is weak. Breaks away really easy, but the 3d and 4th shift amazing.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mappinsj
So I over filled my trans. I was on the highway doing heavy pulls and it started puking fluid out the back. Back of my car was entirely covered. Pulled over after noticing and it blew fluid out of every hole it could find, even back out of the dipstick.

I am guessing that the pressure built up so hard the 2nd gear clutch pack must have been engaged at the time of maximum pressure build up. It started slipping right on out of the gear and the engagement felt very weak. Now it is almost gone and I am pretty sure over filling the trans is what killed it. I am pretty bumped. Just want everyone to know, when you read don't over fill, please do yourself a favor and don't over fill. I killed a great transmission tonight and its all my own damn fault.

(From a post that was merged in here) Mine blew out second gear tonight because it was too full and built up too much pressure.
How many QTs did you put in????
Did you have a hi stall converter?
Did you just have the trans built??
Did it ever shift to 4th gear?
Old 02-12-2017, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
How many QTs did you put in????
Did you have a hi stall converter?
Did you just have the trans built??
Did it ever shift to 4th gear?
no its a goodwrench trans that replaced the original maybe 50k ago?
no it just banged limiter in 3rd. after I went to put in fourth after a pull it wouldn't go until RPM went down.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That sucks dude. The clutches in an automatic can't take any real slipping
Old 02-12-2017, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, it feels like 2nd gear clutches are about done for. Probably gonna take it out and bring it to a local trans builder. He is highly regarded and so I should get a good upgrade for a good deal cause my dad works with him a lot. Happened at the nicest time of year. Probably more upset about that more than not being able to run it at the track after putting my stall in.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

To much to little can have some serious side effects,
To much and you can get it into the rotating assemblies makes like a blender pushing lots of air into the mix which will give a much weaker hydraulic apply and can burn frictions

To little you suck the pan dry or pull in air again this can send the pressures all over the place , cause the pump slide to move erratically even cause a pump failure,
One of the best simple mods to avoid either situation is to install a deep pan the factory truck deep pan is fine and the truck filter , You will have no reason to overfill and are much less likely to ever run low as the filter sets much deeper in the fluid .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-12-2017, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by performabuilt
To much to little can have some serious side effects,
To much and you can get it into the rotating assemblies makes like a blender pushing lots of air into the mix which will give a much weaker hydraulic apply and can burn frictions

To little you suck the pan dry or pull in air again this can send the pressures all over the place , cause the pump slide to move erratically even cause a pump failure,
One of the best simple mods to avoid either situation is to install a deep pan the factory truck deep pan is fine and the truck filter , You will have no reason to overfill and are much less likely to ever run low as the filter sets much deeper in the fluid .
Second gear is gone, trans will need to be rebuilt
Old 06-01-2017, 01:59 AM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

No 2nd and fourth? Isn't that the 2-4 servo / band operation? I thought if it slips or fails 2nd AND fourth that directly indicates band,

the servo is easy to get to, at least on a 700r4. might be worth a look?

Quick Reply: I messed up and over filled my 4L60e.