Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Bearing in my tranny? for an A4

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Bearing in my tranny? for an A4

had a friend at a shop check out a noise i recently started hearing, and he said he definately thinks its an "output" or "input" bearing in the tranny thats bad, or is going bad......he gave some BS/TOLD YA SO idea of how my steel(stock) driveshaft could have caused this with the 3.73 gears.....so you guys tell me, are the replacement bearings expensive? he said its better to replace them all.........is this a hard job??.....someone help me out.......how much could this cost me
Old 07-06-2004, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The bushings are cheap, pennies really.

If it's just an output bushing, no big deal, you can do that with the trans in the car. Pop off the tailshaft, press out the old one, and press in the new one.

It's my understanding that the stock steel driveshafts aren't as good with balance as the aluminum ones, so a 3.73 gear would seriously drive up the RPM over the stock 2.73 gear the steel shaft came in at crusing speeds.

What kind of noise is it? I recently had a whine from my trans and it turned out to be the rear planetaries. Sounded just like a rear end whine but from the middle of the car, not the back. Not a huge undertaking to replace them, but if you chipped a gear you will have crap all though your trans. I wound up pulling the trans completely apart, including the valvebody, to get all the chunks out.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

well its not really just a "whining" sound, its grinding and winding through first and reverse, and so on......ive never really messed with the transmission before which is why i am pretty lost....its really a bad sound...lol
Old 07-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Ttt.......
Old 07-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FoRmuLa_DriVa
Ttt.......
When your tarny has the problem that u say, it is your rear planatary that is bad. With the planatray going bad your looking at a rebuild. Good luck 2 ya
Old 07-10-2004, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1st and reverse? Yep, go for the planetary.

And you won't need a full rebuild unless your trans is kicked anyway. There is a huge difference between "fixing" a trans and "rebuilding" one. The only time a trans really needs a "full" rebuild is if you've overheated it and burned up multiple clutches, or if you have high mileage and many of the clutches are getting worn.

Like I said, when my rear planets went, that's the only thing I replaced. Actually, I put in a new filter and pan gasket, as well as a $0.30 pump gasket and a $0.25 converter O-ring. The rear planet assembly I got for $100 through work. The case and valvebody did requrie a complete disassembly and cleaning to get rid of the gear chunks however.

There's a pretty significant difference in the price of a full rebuild (all new clutches, seals, bushings, checking clearances, etc) and a simple component replacement.

The last time the trans went it was a snapped band (lost 2nd and 4th). Cost me $30 for a new band, and I had the car back on the road in 4 hours. Even re-used the fluid.

No reason to cough up major bucks for a complete overhaul to replace an inexpensive part
Old 07-10-2004, 06:36 PM
Launching!

You have to carefully analyze what constitutes a rebuild or not.
If a band is busted, no big deal. I've R&R'd transmissions and replaced band only many times.

If the planetary has failed, and especially since he kept driving it, there is metal EVERYWHERE. If you don't completely tear it down to clean out all the metal (you'll be suprised where it all goes), flush out the valvebody & check for sticking valves (the smallest spec of metal will cause a valve to stick) and either replace, or have cut & cleaned the torque converter, your asking for more problems down the road. You also need to flush the cooler.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeamTripp
You have to carefully analyze what constitutes a rebuild or not.
If a band is busted, no big deal. I've R&R'd transmissions and replaced band only many times.

If the planetary has failed, and especially since he kept driving it, there is metal EVERYWHERE. If you don't completely tear it down to clean out all the metal (you'll be suprised where it all goes), flush out the valvebody & check for sticking valves (the smallest spec of metal will cause a valve to stick) and either replace, or have cut & cleaned the torque converter, your asking for more problems down the road. You also need to flush the cooler.
Actually, when you think about it, the chances of metal getting into the converter are pretty slim.

I found some peices stuck in the springs on the low/reverse piston right behing the planet, and some very small peices made their way into the back of the valvebody (probably through sloshing around in the oil in the pan) but the front pump was immaculate. There wasn't any metal anywhere else in the trans (nowhere that wasn't superficial anyway) and I drove it for 2 weeks like that.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pete2k_Z28
Actually, when you think about it, the chances of metal getting into the converter are pretty slim.

You can theorize all you want, but typically metal goes everywhere. If you drained the converter and the fluid wasn't glittery, consider yourself lucky.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeamTripp
You can theorize all you want, but typically metal goes everywhere. If you drained the converter and the fluid wasn't glittery, consider yourself lucky.
It's lottery ticket time then