Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got it back today! Few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 06:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Got it back today! Few questions

Well I got my car back today from the converter install and stuff. It is a Stage II build with TCI SSF 3500, shift kit, cooler etc. Since before this its always had the stock converter. Heres what its doing and let me know if this is normal or not. Idle it seems to chatter a lil bit, the shift into 2nd is pretty firm, it feels almost *too* firm, it locks up at about 50 then if i give it a lil more gas it seems to drop a down gears or something then pick up again, at highway speeds it seems just fine. I know that sounds confusing, and this is my very first time to drive a stalled car so i dont know if this is normal. And remember i'm still at break in so i cant get on it yet.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

Mainly what concerns me is the how firm the 1 - 2 shift is, the guy at the shop tuned it so im sure he would have noticed if something was off, but i want to be sure
Old 02-25-2006, 10:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let me know how it goes i plan on gettin the same stall as u ;D
Old 02-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Trust
Mainly what concerns me is the how firm the 1 - 2 shift is, the guy at the shop tuned it so im sure he would have noticed if something was off, but i want to be sure
Assuming it's a Transgo shift kit, how many washers were installed in the 1-2 accumulator, and what size did he drill out the feed holes in the separator plate?
Old 02-25-2006, 11:08 PM
10 Second Club

I honestly dont know, all i know is whats on the labor sheet, and it just says 'Trans Go Level 2 Performance Shift Kit'
Old 02-25-2006, 11:17 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Call him and ask him those questions. Taking washers out will soften the shift. Especially if he has drilled the 2nd feed hole larger than Transgo specs, you really don't want too many washers in there. You can tune it for a nice firm shift without it slamming into gear.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:28 PM
10 Second Club

They wont be open until tomorrow so i'll have to call him then, i checked the fluid today and it didnt even show up on the dipstick, so i topped it up and it seemed to soften the shifts up a lil bit but they are still relatively hard. Is this thing also suppose to 'chatter' at idle, i can hear it just under my console. And driving it'll lock up around 50 and if i keep my foot on the throttle the same it'll seem to 'unlock' and be driving at 3k again until i get to about 65 is that normal?
Old 02-26-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

The chattering at idle is not normal. A 3500 stall should idle the same as a stock converter. I would call TCI and discuss it with them. Everything else sounds like tuning issues. Who did the install and tuning? If your installer/tuner coundn't even fill the tranny properly I would really wonder about the quality of his work. The hard second gear shift could be either the shift kit install as stated in an earlier post or a tuning issue.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Launching!

I don't know if "stage II" is that they used two washers, or they installed the "HD-2" kit. At any rate, it sounds like you just need to take some of the washers back out.

The chattering might just be something loose or making contact with something (exhaust hitting, heat sheild, etc...)
Old 02-26-2006, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

I dont doubt the installer at all, they are pretty much the only ones I trust with the car. He said he tuned it to shift relatively firm but he is going to ease up on the shifts a bit tomorrow because its 'too' firm for me. I cant tell if the chatter is from the tranny, the y pipe, or a heatsheild. If it was the tranny would it still do it in neutral? (It does) Thanks