Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC install PITA?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 05:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC install PITA?

well the 4l60e is out, got the stock TC out, however I ran into some problems installing the new one..got it to click once but the secound click is driving me nuts. Guess i was just wondering if anybody else ran into the same problem. How long did you have to **** with it to get it to go in?
Old 04-25-2006, 08:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive seen a couple that wouldnt click the 2nd time, What you could do is get it to the point you think its all the way on, then hold a straight edge across the front of the bellhousing, you should have at least 1 1/2in. or so between the converter & the straight edge.

Also have you tried twisting the converter after the first click? It has two teeth it has to lock in so it may not be lined up.

Last edited by Z'mnypit; 04-25-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:42 AM
10 Second Club

I've never heard the "clicking" you guys are talking about. I always just put my converter on the input shaft and rotate clockwise and push inward until the converter seats down 3 times (in 2 different groves) when it's down it wont go any further. no problems for me.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:41 AM
Teching In

I know its not in all the way hub sticks out past the housing and the snout (the part that drives the pump) isnt in the seal. there is no clicking noise i just used that term to describe the when the TC lines up right with the stator, turbine and pump. I have no problem getting the stock TC back on the input shaft, however when I try my after market TC I'm having problems. I think it might be do to the fact the the internal splines on the turbine is machined to to tighter tolerances for added protection from breakage or my lack of know how. Was wondering if any had any tips or had similar problems. I had thought of standing the tranny up on its tail but then all the ATF would drain out of the TC
Old 04-25-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

I had the same problem when I first got my yank but eventually it goes on. Also remember to add fluid to the TC as I did not and had to get a new front pump, that lesson cost me 695 dollars
Old 04-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Banned

What year trans are you working with? This is an LS1 right?
If the pump drive isn't in the seal yet you've got problems.
It almost sounds like you're trying to put an LS1 converter on an older trans. Does the trans have a smooth 1/2" pilot on the very front of the input shaft?

You need to put the converter on nice and straight so you don't tear the oring.
Last guy who stood one up on end started PM'ing me about how to change the pump, any guesses why?

I've also talked to a guy who used a mallet to drive one on, same thing later...how do you replace the pump.

It should slide straight on, only problem I ever have is getting the pump lined up, if you get it pushed against the pump rotor it will turn (and pump oil out of the cooler lines) even if the tabs aren't in the converter slots. In this case you need to pull it out about 1/8" turn it a little and try again. Keep doing this until it goes in all the way.

But again if your not touching the seal yet somethings wrong.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I installed mine, it never clicked, it just rotated right on. I got kinda confused, but I checked the bellhousing-to-mounting pad clearance, and had 1 inch, just like everyone says I'm supposed to have.

Converter has been in there for over two months, and not a problem with the pump or anything yet.

Just check your clearance, should be an inch, or a tad over an inch.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ohsofast
I had the same problem when I first got my yank but eventually it goes on. Also remember to add fluid to the TC as I did not and had to get a new front pump, that lesson cost me 695 dollars
Not adding fluid to the converter will not ruin the pump. It doesn't even take a second of running to get fluid to the pump and it dumps right into the converter. You had other problems.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
Ive seen a couple that wouldnt click the 2nd time, What you could do is get it to the point you think its all the way on, then hold a straight edge across the front of the bellhousing, you should have at least 1/2in. between the converter & the straight edge.

Also have you tried twisting the converter after the first click? It has two teeth it has to lock in so it may not be lined up.
When it is fully installed, the distance from the bell housing flange to the mounting lug on the converter should be 1 1/8, or 1.125 +- .050 inches.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
When it is fully installed, the distance from the bell housing flange to the mounting lug on the converter should be 1 1/8, or 1.125 +- .050 inches.
Oops just realized I left out the 1 sorry it was suppose to say 1 1/2in. Just fixed it.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
Not adding fluid to the converter will not ruin the pump. It doesn't even take a second of running to get fluid to the pump and it dumps right into the converter. You had other problems.
Well the transmission shop said that was the problem. I was also under the impression fluid was needed in the TC b/c of osmosis.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

We did my buddies converter, we only got 1 click. I checked the depth with a straight edge and it was only on about 3/4". We tried and tried but couldn't get "three" clicks or the converter to seat more than 3/4" so we just buttoned it up. His car is running around fine.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:21 PM
Teching In

thanks for the input everyone, I got class tonight so I'll let you know how it turns out (taking an automatic tranny class).
Old 04-28-2006, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Be careful. Just tried to install a TC in my buddy's WS6 and guess what we didn't have the 3rd push in all the way and tried to bolt the tranny back up to the motor not knowing this. After having the motor not turn when trying to line up the converter to flywheel bolt's we called our tranny guy to come over and found out we broke the pump. And that was with everything looking good. Gotta be careful and make sure it's on all the way.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:53 AM
11 Second Club

when i put mine in, i had to lift the TC up a little when i was getting it to seat the second time
Old 04-28-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

I hold the TC with both hands and rotate it as I push and this works for me everytime.
I also fill the TC with 2 quarts of tranny fluid before I start.
Sometimes I get the 3 distinct clicks and sometimes I am not sure if I got the last one.
Measure to be sure.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

i had a hard time getting just one in mine. would pour some in, and wait a little while before i could pour more in. i think in the end, i got close to a quart in just cause i didnt want to wait to be able to put the rest in