Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which stall converter???

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which stall converter???

Thinking of putting a converter in my 98 Z28. What would you guys recomend far as brand? Would a 3200 stall or so be good?
Old 06-17-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

I currently run a fuddle, but feel it is a little too loose. I was very happy with my TCI 3500 stall 2.5 str because it was very tight driving around and hit really hard. Not knocking Fuddle at all, I picked one of those up because i felt it was a better quality unit and has a beefier lock-up clutch (hp/street version, $555).
Old 06-17-2006, 11:02 PM

I have run Yank 4400, TCI 4000, and Precision Industries (PI) Vigilante 2800 and 3200 stall converters and they are all good products. Of the converters I have had I really liked the 2800 and 3200 for their street manors but the 4000 and 4400 were much better track performers. If my car was a daily driver I would go with a 3200 – 3500 from TCI, Yank, PI, Fuddle. They will get the job done.

John
Old 06-17-2006, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yank or Vigilante. Maybe Fuddle. Not TCI, IMO.

For a stock internal, bolt on only car a 3200 stall speed should work well. I would recommend going with a 3500.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:13 AM
TECH Addict

I have a Fuddle 4400 and it is also very loose. Granted, I have factory 2.73 gears and have never driven another stalled car so it may just be the nature of the beast. IMO if you don't plan on going all out with your car head/cam wise a 3500 stall from Fuddle with a 2.2 STR would be a good buy/performer. Great service. If you upgrade down the road, John will restall it to whatever you would like for free as well. If you do plan to go all out, I would go with a Yank. When I lose my tranny (not if but when) I'll throw a Yank in there.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Based on my experience with the TCI I would personally rather have something higher than a 2.2 str for a street car that spends little time on the strip. The lower the str the more efficient the converter is up top but it will be much looser down low.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go with a 3200
Old 06-20-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going with a 3200 with a 2.4-.5 STR on my daily driven 97 Formula. It will launch like hell and give me some nice numbers at the track.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

I have had several converters in my car being a Vig 3200, Midwest 3500, Yank 4000, yank 4400 and a few others. The Vig 3200 put my stock car with stock suspension in the low 1.6's and was an awesome for a daily driver. I currently have a 4600 and it is fun but more of a track converter.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive used tci verters for years and am happy with my current streetfighter3000
Old 06-21-2006, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Anything but a Fuddle, their customer service is terrible and they are not yet established or proven over time in the marketplace. They are a very small, one man operation that has proven mixed results at best.

I don't think I've heard any horror stories about Yank, and the majority of shootout cars usually have a Yank converter...................I hear Fuddle nightmares every day now.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Obviously their customer service sucks

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-sponsor-feedback/512108-fuddle-racing.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=fuddle

There are many more positive reviews as well. The search results are here:https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3472488

Here is the only thread I could find with a LEGITIMATE reason to be angry with Fuddle:

This is ONE isolated incident. Not to get off topic, but some of the comments you made in that thread really insulted the integrity of this site and this community, calling us cry babies and what not. Sounds to me like you're the cry baby cause you had to wait a few weeks longer than expected to get your verter. Sounds like you knew they were having foundry issues before you ordered and you ordered anyways.

Finally, for you to hijack every thread you possibly can concerning a potential Fuddle customer, well that's just wrong. You also mention how you 'hear Fuddle nightmares every day now', please reference at least one thread before you make a statement like this.

As for me, I'm completely happy with my Fuddle converter, and I can sleep well knowing that it can handle just about everything I'm willing to throw at it.

Don't
Old 06-21-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

quiktim, before you respond, let me retract my roll eyes smiley. Perhaps I should have done a more thorough search and I would have seen some issues Fuddle is having recently in the customer service department. Still, many of these complaints have been resolved and the converters have been shipped.

I know what it is like to be an up and coming business, do everything in your power to satisfy your customers, build an excellent product at a VERY competitive price; and then get bombarded with orders, complaints, re-stalls, etc, etc. These are the growing pains of a small business. After having spoken to John before, and after reading all the good things about Fuddle, I am convinced that he will make everything right. He has yet to SCREW anybody out of their money.

there was one instance recently where a guy purchased a defective converter from Fuddle. Not only did John send him a new one, but paid for return shipping AND the labor for the install/removal of the converters.

My comments about the way you've insulted this community still stand however.

Sorry for hijacking this thread smkeater911
Old 06-22-2006, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

You have your opinion, and I have mine. Just as you want to be a "Fuddle Fan" and tell anyone that asks how great your converter is, I want everyone that asks to know how Fuddle treated my situation.

And I do believe that this site has more "know it alls", and more people that just have to express their baseless comments and opinions than any other group of car owners on the net. I'm not calling anyone names, I'm just making an observation. Again, my opinion based on my experiences here. If that's an insult to the community, it's not meant to be............ but it is my opinion.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:00 AM
Launching!

TCI 3500 like me
Old 06-22-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by qwiktim
You have your opinion, and I have mine. Just as you want to be a "Fuddle Fan" and tell anyone that asks how great your converter is, I want everyone that asks to know how Fuddle treated my situation.

And I do believe that this site has more "know it alls", and more people that just have to express their baseless comments and opinions than any other group of car owners on the net. I'm not calling anyone names, I'm just making an observation. Again, my opinion based on my experiences here. If that's an insult to the community, it's not meant to be............ but it is my opinion.

Just because you had a bad experience with them does not make them less reputable as far as quality, and discredit them from having great customer service. I have had MANY places with good customer service treat me poorly. It happens. If they make a quality product, then there is nothing that should stop you from going back there, unless that poor customer service continued.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

If you want to give business to a company that lies to you and treats you poorly, go right ahead.................. I will not.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

So you guys are saying he should never share his opinion? Is it wrong to post opinions that differ from the rest? i know he comes in every thread with the same thing but it's his right. It's ghey that every time someone strays from the flock he gets flamed. If I was asking for opinions I would want the good and bad. Not just the good and the people with bad hiding in the corner affraid to share because they will get bashed for having thier own opinion.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
So you guys are saying he should never share his opinion? Is it wrong to post opinions that differ from the rest? i know he comes in every thread with the same thing but it's his right. It's ghey that every time someone strays from the flock he gets flamed. If I was asking for opinions I would want the good and bad. Not just the good and the people with bad hiding in the corner affraid to share because they will get bashed for having thier own opinion.
Anything but a Fuddle, their customer service is terrible and they are not yet established or proven over time in the marketplace. They are a very small, one man operation that has proven mixed results at best.
He is not stating this as opinion, he most certainly asserts himself as having the FACTS. Fuddle has been around for close to a couple of years and they have most definately proven themselves in the f-body marketplace. It would be interesting to see how many people on this site are actually HAPPY with their Fuddle converter and how many are not.

Voicing your concerns about customer service is one thing, but to say his product has recieved "mixed results at best" without even trying it yourself is another.

And I do believe that this site has more "know it alls", and more people that just have to express their baseless comments and opinions than any other group of car owners on the net
Sounds like you should take your own criticism for what it's worth. You have ZERO experience with a Fuddle Converter yet you come onto this board and give your "baseless comments and opinions" on the product in question.

Again, I'm all for voicing your opinion on this board in the feedback section (which you did), but I have a bit of a problem with somebody hijacking every thread that contains the word 'Fuddle' because of your poor experience with his customer service.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kpowr82
You have ZERO experience with a Fuddle Converter yet you come onto this board and give your "baseless comments and opinions" .
Kpower is right.

Thats like saying Toyota sucks big donkey ***** because thats what somebody said.
How the **** would they know if they never owned one.

I WILL be buying a 2800, 2.5 stall from John, I emailed him awhile back with my setup and what I want to do. He replied within a day saying I could easily run a 3500 due to my setup, but I like firm low end shifting.