Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Servo's

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Corvette Servo's

Rebuilding the trans for the thrid time this year thinking about getting the corvette servo for the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts does any one have any experience with these. Are they Worth the money?
Old 09-30-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are worth it. When you are talking about parts like this, invest the small amount of money in them as its a small price to pay for the performance and insurance you get from them in return.

Also look at the Sonnax servos if they aren't too much more.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:44 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your trans is from a Z28 it should already have the vette servo. What keeps failing in your transmission?
Old 10-01-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Regular

The corvette servo holds the band better than the stock LS1/LT1 srevo does so it is WELL worth the money paid for one.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:41 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
If your trans is from a Z28 it should already have the vette servo. What keeps failing in your transmission?
yea, i thought LS1 f-bodies had the corvette servo stock, and it was the trucks that lack the corvette servo? after all, our transmissions bolt up to the LS1, and the corvette had an LS1 and a 4L60E, so i assume they're the same transmissions internally (unlike the truck 4L60E's)?

that being said, your next step would be to get the sonnax servo. they have something like 18%-20% more holding than the corvette servo. while your at it, you may as well get the 4th gear servo since its hold is something like 40% better. that'll help that weak-*** 3-4 shift fo' sho' and help preserve your overdrive.

i'd also like to know what keeps going out in your trans? keep in mind it may not be a parts problem. high quality parts won't matter if it's not put together properly. it may be time to switch builders!
Old 10-01-2006, 02:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

im finishing building mine.....with some help....but you also have to consider that if your building it...its good to replace everything, not just certain parts....
Old 10-01-2006, 08:09 AM
10 Second Club

Billet servos FTW
Old 10-01-2006, 08:33 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

My personal experience with billet servo's is stay away from the solid design ones. We only use the sonnax servo's. I think the problems most people face is with the second servo from superior. It has no accumulation for the 2-3 shift. Also has no cushion springs for the down shifts. I have also seen the superior servo break it's clips and destroy the case. Along with quite a few bands. I used the superior myself for a few years and saw to many issues. I do prefer the sonnax set because it is designed like the oe vette servo with more holding power along with better sealing capabilty. I really think sonnax did their homework here! Vince.

ALSO
Do a search on pt.n. Search "billet servo's".There are some threads you should read before buying and installing. Just a little FYI,Vince
Old 10-01-2006, 12:18 PM
Teching In

This thread is so filled with misinformation it is making me sick.

1. V-8 F-bodies came stock with the Corvette servo. PERIOD.

2. Obviously, people are not understanding the fact that there are 2 servo's in the side of the case. The first servo is the intermediate servo, it is the furthest inboard in the case. It is a two piece setup where the 2nd gear oil enters between the two pieces and pushes the band on. When the 3rd gear shift occurs, 3rd gear oil enters BEHIND the intermediate piston and serves two purposes. The first purpose is to push the band OFF for a 3rd gear change. The second purpose is for the INTERMEDIATE servo to act as an accumulator for 3rd gear. The other servo in the lineup is the overdrive servo. It is composed of the cover (the piece you see outside the case.) and the piston inside it. The oil for this servo is fed through the inside of the servo pin. Oil enters between the cover and the piston and pushing the pin THROUGH the intermediate servo and applies the band for 4th gear. Understand that there are 2 separate servos that perform two totally different tasks. By changing the outside servo you do not affect the 2nd or 3rd gear shifts at all.

3. Sonnax does NOT sell an intermediate servo. They only sell the overdrive servo. By using the Sonnax servo, you will NOT affect 2nd or 3rd gear. You will merely improve you 4th gear apply and holding capacity. The Sonnax servo does NOT serve as an accumulator for 3rd. It has a dual piston design simply to increase the apply area and multiply holding capacity.

4. The Corvette servo is a joke.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:48 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

The answers to Transman

(1) Correct.
(2) Correct, again
(3) WRONG....... Sonnax does have a 2nd gear apply servo PN 77911-03K. This is known as the 4L60/4L60-E 2nd Gear “Super Hold” Servo.
(4) Wrong again, I have them in 9 & 10 second Firebirds, doing just fine, so it is not a joke.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:22 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Transman
This thread is so filled with misinformation it is making me sick.

1. V-8 F-bodies came stock with the Corvette servo. PERIOD.

2. Obviously, people are not understanding the fact that there are 2 servo's in the side of the case. The first servo is the intermediate servo, it is the furthest inboard in the case. It is a two piece setup where the 2nd gear oil enters between the two pieces and pushes the band on. When the 3rd gear shift occurs, 3rd gear oil enters BEHIND the intermediate piston and serves two purposes. The first purpose is to push the band OFF for a 3rd gear change. The second purpose is for the INTERMEDIATE servo to act as an accumulator for 3rd gear. The other servo in the lineup is the overdrive servo. It is composed of the cover (the piece you see outside the case.) and the piston inside it. The oil for this servo is fed through the inside of the servo pin. Oil enters between the cover and the piston and pushing the pin THROUGH the intermediate servo and applies the band for 4th gear. Understand that there are 2 separate servos that perform two totally different tasks. By changing the outside servo you do not affect the 2nd or 3rd gear shifts at all.

3. Sonnax does NOT sell an intermediate servo. They only sell the overdrive servo. By using the Sonnax servo, you will NOT affect 2nd or 3rd gear. You will merely improve you 4th gear apply and holding capacity. The Sonnax servo does NOT serve as an accumulator for 3rd. It has a dual piston design simply to increase the apply area and multiply holding capacity.

4. The Corvette servo is a joke.
1. Yes this is true as I had already stated.
2. All this info is 100% true but the first post asks about the vette servo which you are correct does not effect the 3-4 shift. But he did ask about it effecting the 1-2 and 2-3 which even you stated. Which if he has a Z28 with the original trans it would be a waste of money due to the fact that he already has it. I would agree!
3.Please visit this link to see the sonnax 2nd servo that we offer.http://finishlinetrans.com/store/pro...4fd58c1d4a12d1 We have been offering it since 1-17-06 and had been testing it from 06/05 in JR-CRUZN-C5's vette that runs in the 9's. Here is a link to when we released it here..https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/435949-new-2nd-gear-super-hold-servo-4l60-e.html
4. The same car above ran the vette servo before sonnax one was released. The new sonnax piece offers more holding power with the same properties as the vette servo.

Now we can argue but I have alot of research on this and have found these methods to work very well. The superior servo does not offer what you stated in line two. These are some of the issues why I no longer use it and also can prove what failures it has caused. I'm not trying to bash you here...only state true facts. Please understand this board is for tech info not pissing matches. Vince.

Last edited by FLT; 10-01-2006 at 03:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-01-2006, 02:24 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by PBA
The answers to Transman

(1) Correct.
(2) Correct, again
(3) WRONG....... Sonnax does have a 2nd gear apply servo PN 77911-03K. This is known as the 4L60/4L60-E 2nd Gear “Super Hold” Servo.
(4) Wrong again, I have them in 9 & 10 second Firebirds, doing just fine, so it is not a joke.
You beat me to it but thank you for the correct info. I wanted to have all my facts and links set up before making my above post. Also I can't type that fast. LOL....Vince
Old 10-01-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Wow so Sonnax doesn't make a 2nd gear servo but yet i've been running one in my tranny for the last 6+ months? Guess I dreamed it all up.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
Wow so Sonnax doesn't make a 2nd gear servo but yet i've been running one in my tranny for the last 6+ months? Guess I dreamed it all up.
lol hey i'm just proud of myself here. i was right about the corvette and sonnax servos
Old 10-01-2006, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
What kinda hard parts would you recommed for the 4l60E I just want it to last. The car is kinda a street strip car but mostly sees the street. I think since the last time i had it built it has lasted on 6000 miles. I really dont beat on it that much is kinda a garage queen. Since the last time i had it built its only been to the track once, and i ran about 5 passes on nittos that didnt hook for nothing.
I know the trans is slipping cuz at a 50 mph punch it goes right to red line instantly. Fist and second are on there way out i can feel them slipping at moderate accereration. When i first got it back the trans was awesome held good. I have never over heated it i have the biggest cooler i could buy and i have a guage that has never gone over 180. I know the last time it was built the guy put in a Kevlar band but other than that i donno what else he did.

I would love to get one off your transmissions but i just dont have that kinda money. Lube techs dont make bank if you know what i mean. But i still have an extended warrenty and i plan on having it built again but this time i would like to get some better part so it will last a longer. Any Advice would be helpful
Old 10-01-2006, 08:26 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Pm sent!
Old 10-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by JstALs1
What kinda hard parts would you recommed for the 4l60E I just want it to last. The car is kinda a street strip car but mostly sees the street. I think since the last time i had it built it has lasted on 6000 miles. I really dont beat on it that much is kinda a garage queen. Since the last time i had it built its only been to the track once, and i ran about 5 passes on nittos that didnt hook for nothing.
I know the trans is slipping cuz at a 50 mph punch it goes right to red line instantly. Fist and second are on there way out i can feel them slipping at moderate accereration. When i first got it back the trans was awesome held good. I have never over heated it i have the biggest cooler i could buy and i have a guage that has never gone over 180. I know the last time it was built the guy put in a Kevlar band but other than that i donno what else he did.

I would love to get one off your transmissions but i just dont have that kinda money. Lube techs dont make bank if you know what i mean. But i still have an extended warrenty and i plan on having it built again but this time i would like to get some better part so it will last a longer. Any Advice would be helpful
you'll probably absolutely hate me for even saying this, but if you lower your shift points to ~6,100 rpm's, your trans will probably last forever the way you're driving it. RPM's are the biggest enemy of the 4L60E, and the proof of this is your trans runs cool and still slips.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

so if i have a 2-3 shift issue it could be coming from the servo itself and not an internal issue. my 2-3 feels great at half throttle but weak over that. at the track will not shift without first tagging the rev. even with the shift set at 5400 and my rev at 7000. vince let me know if you think this could be my prob.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:34 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Well my first response would be tuning but it sounds like you are past that. It sounds like the 3-4 clutch is starting to go. What I would do to confirm this is look at the trans data when it's tagging the RL or just before. If the computer is telling the trans to shift and it is not it could be a few things. Sticky valves,flooded solenoid,burnt 3-4 clutch,cross leaks,etc. What is the condition of the oil? The first to do is to look at to look at the trans data. Vince
Old 10-03-2006, 06:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Vince, do you recommend these servos for general use,
street cars? Are they useful in extending trans life at
lower power levels or just needed for big output? Where
do they become worthwhile? Stock, bolt-ons, H/C, power
adder type levels?

If they are worthwhile for low-mods cars do you have a
"everything that goes in that hole, do it once" kit?

Quick Reply: Corvette Servo's