Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad shifts

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 01:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad shifts

hey guys, i wasnt exactly sure what to call this thread but my car has been shifting horrible.

last week i noticed my car wasnt shifting as hard as usual. then recently shifting from first to second it was more like a long rumble than a shift. under light acceleration it shifts ok but any time i go more than half throttle, it does this long studder of a shift lol

i checked my trans fluid and the level was ok but it seemed more brown than red. im going to change my trans fluid tomorrow i hope that will help. are there drain plugs on our cars or do i have to drop the whole pan? is my trans going or do you think changing the fluid will help?

thanks for any input
Old 06-26-2007, 06:47 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Changing the fluid is probably not going to help. It sounds as if you are having a band failure or have a problem in the 1-2 accumulator circuit. While you have the pan down you might want to check the 1-2 accumulator pioston. This is a housing located in the rear of the case/pan area with three 10mm head bolts. The piston might be cracked or you could have a broken spring. hope this helps you. Vince
Old 06-26-2007, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

I'm having a similar problem.

Last year around this time, I was playing with my car in the rain and after spinning the tires in 1st gear, I noticed I couldn't downshift into 1st shortly thereafter. Eventually I lost 2nd as well and only 3rd gear would take the car anywhere (yes, it's an auto). Any time the torque convertor would lockup it would just shake like crazy so I had to drive it in D for about 40 miles until I made it to my friends house.

He put in a used tranny with my old torque convertor and it wouldn't do anything. He threw in a different torque convertor and it worked.

However, ever since then the 1st to 2nd shift has been really sloppy. The 2nd to 3rd seems fine. Also, during the winter while the tranny was still cold, sometimes it would hit the rev limiter on the 1st to 2nd.

Does this sound like a tranny problem or torque convertor issue? I'm guessing tranny; when it goes, looks like I'll get a performabuilt or FLT.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like Vinnie hit the nail on the head on the first issue .On the second transmission it may have a softer shifting servo setup so the soft 1-2 may be normal for the trans and you may need to shift kit it or put a different servo in it !
Old 06-26-2007, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by big wally 55
Sounds like Vinnie hit the nail on the head on the first issue .On the second transmission it may have a softer shifting servo setup so the soft 1-2 may be normal for the trans and you may need to shift kit it or put a different servo in it !
Hmm. I'm a noob when it comes to transmissions so I can't really do anything myself. I just know my old stock transmission was solid until the torque convertor messed up. I wonder if the tranny would have been fine?
Old 06-26-2007, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Changing the fluid is probably not going to help. It sounds as if you are having a band failure or have a problem in the 1-2 accumulator circuit. While you have the pan down you might want to check the 1-2 accumulator pioston. This is a housing located in the rear of the case/pan area with three 10mm head bolts. The piston might be cracked or you could have a broken spring. hope this helps you. Vince
thanks for the help. this might be a dumb question but if i see i have a broken piston or spring would it be easy to replace or is it somthing i should just have a shop do?
Old 06-26-2007, 01:47 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Black95TA
thanks for the help. this might be a dumb question but if i see i have a broken piston or spring would it be easy to replace or is it somthing i should just have a shop do?
You let me know. I have the accumulators in stock.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT

i dropped the pan and took off the three bolts. im not sure what im looking for now but the piston doesnt look cracked. i took some pics maybe you can help me out, what part do you think needs to be replaced? and is this the housing your talking about?

i was looking for the parts in your site i think i found the right one
http://finishlinetrans.com/store/pro...products_id=67
Old 06-26-2007, 05:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Pull the piston in there out and under it you will find a broken spring and thats going to be your issue, blow into the hole at the edge to get it out easier

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Pull the piston in there out and under it you will find a broken spring and thats going to be your issue, blow into the hole at the edge to get it out easier
yep i took the piston out and there was the broken spring. so i should just replace the spring and i should be good? and one more thing when i was dropping the pan one of the heads of the bolts just snapped off i dont know why i didnt have much pressure on it at all. what the hell do i do about that?
Old 06-26-2007, 06:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

You will have to use and easy out for the bolt or drill and tap it and yes replacing that spring should fix you right up

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

alright thanks a lot.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:19 AM
Staging Lane

alright, i need more help. i finally got the spring yesterday, i drilled out the old bolt i broke, and made some new threads. i bolted the pan back up put the fluid in, staterd the car checked the fluid then took it for a test run. nothing changed! the 1-2 shift did the same thing, it still shuddered. it seems even worse now, when i got on it a little, as it shifted the rpms shot up so i let off. i dont know what i did wrong. maybe i didnt push the piston down far enough? i cant think of what else would go wrong. help
Old 07-01-2007, 01:58 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

By the looks of the fluid in your pictures it looks like you might already have a band that has failed. This was more than likely due to the accumulator issue. I think it might be time for a rebuilt. Vince