Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic tranny upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic tranny upgrades?

What are some basic upgrades one can do (with the tranny in and out of the car) to the 4l60/65e to make it a bit stronger and shift better, without tearing into it? TIA
Old 10-02-2007, 11:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Shift kit I like the transgo set up at the lighter settings for stock trans. Short of tearing in to it thats about all you can do.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-02-2007, 12:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can tear into it...put in some upgraded clutches and sprags.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the unit in the car you can change the band servo assembly. It is not fun, but I do it often for folks who want to upgrade their servo. A decent shift kit can be installed in the car but I do not recommend that as it can lead to premature failure of the unit. There are some internal components that should be addressed when a shift kit is installed in one of these IMHO.

As far as dissasembling the unit... I can tell you that many folks can take one of these apart and put it back together with good parts. But those parts are not what makes one live. Any reputable builder would tell you that. Many times units are rebuilt with a list of parts taken off of a website and they simply do no last long at all.

I would seriously consider holding off until you can do it right the firs time... meaning have a reputable builder do the work for you. they will have the knowledge and expertise that will ensure a quality build.

g
Old 10-02-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

the best 4l60e upgrade is a stall

i wouldnt upgrade the servo on a stock 4l60e, especially if you havent upgraded the clutches and band

other good upgrades are hardened sun shell gear, better clutch/steels packs
better 2-4 band, shift kit ( and no the highest level isnt always the best )
TRANNY COOLER! B&M 24,000 is awesome!!!

but again my best tranny upgrade was my 3400 stall!
Old 10-02-2007, 09:38 PM
FormerVendor

I'm curious 3rdgentug... why would you not upgrade a servo in the car? What does not replacing the band or the clutches have to do with it?

It can actually provide for better clamping force, better / firmer 2nd and 4th gear apply. It can actually take stress off of the 3/4 clutches during the 3/4 shift if the correct unit is chosen for the application.

A common misconception is that installing a higher stalling torque converter can be considered an upgrade for a transmission.... it is not. It is a higher stalling torque converter that allows the engine to get into it's power band / torque curve sooner.

However, I have witnessed more stock units fail after this mod than any other... I think it has everything to do with the way the car feels after the install. Meaning, with the new converter the average guy is going to stick his foot in it more often than before. Seen it countless times. It is not an upgrade to the transmission at all, in fact it can be a detriment to the units integrity IMHO.

But you are correct, as far as bang for the buck... a higher stalling torque converter will give the average enthusiast a better "seat of the pants" feel when driving the car. Better 60' times at the track and other positives can be gained from installing a higher stalling converter... especially when one is initially running a stock unit in a mildly modded package.

g
Old 10-02-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

he is saying a stall as an up grade meaning it makes the car faster not stronger
Old 10-05-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

what i was saying is the best upgrade from a performance stand point was my stall. thx buba

as far as not upgrading the servo. theres no tellin how many miles are on his tranny. why start throwing money into a tranny w/ XX,XXX or XXX,XXX miles on it.why waste the time right now too? wait do it all at the same time is what i was saying he said in or out of the vehical. why pull it numerous times to do upgrades?. these cars already came w/ whats refered to as the vette servo. plenty for a stock or mild engine/tranny combo.

i wasnt sayin dont ever upgrade the servos, hell mines got upgraded servos in it =)
i was mearly sayin if it was me id hold off buy al my parts and get the rebuild/upgrade at the same time. do all my research into whats gonna work best w/ my combo and goals
and last but not least CONSULT MY TRANNY BUILDER!
Old 10-06-2007, 08:29 PM
FormerVendor

Sweet! I get it now... forgive me as I am old and slow.

I think that is solid advice.

g
Old 10-06-2007, 08:58 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Sweet! I get it now... forgive me as I am old and slow.

I think that is solid advice.

g
The problem with old guy's like you is that you need your rest to be able to focus properly. Staying out until the sun comes up street racing is catching up to you.