Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

grinding noise after convertor install

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default grinding noise after convertor install

the trans is in a 99 ta...recent rebuild and couple weeks later had a problem with the 3-4 clutchs...replaced them with z packs after soaking for couple days ... also installed a fuddle 3400 stall. i am waiting on john to call me back but right after start up there was a grinding noise...checking the fluild showed it needed more. still same...drove it. has the grinding noise in 1st and 3 rd gears only..shifts fine. changes with rpm and only in gear.

drove it home last night about 20 miles still doing same thing. this morning it is much quiter and barly noticeable. the tc sat in the box dry for about 2 months before using...we feeled it before putting it on the trans. do you guys think the clutch in the stall was dry and should've been soaked over night cause it sat for so long? john had said that if i was gonna use royal purple to and heard a grinding noise upon start up that there was not enough viscosity for the clutch in tc..and to add half quart of gear oil...i did not use the royal purple but regular dex 3... what ya'll think is going on...???
Old 11-26-2007, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

same problem I had with my fuddle. My noise was at lockup. I got the run around about Pulse width modulation and all kind of other BS about it being tuned out. Finally decided to upgrade to a vig and havent had any noises since.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

I hope thats not what i can expect as far as service after the sale. hell they are a sponsor on the site. funny thing about the noise is when i am slowing down and the trans is in first its making that noise. but when i come to a stop and stall it up theres no grinding. only when the car begans to move. I am kind've wondering why they have not responded to my post or returned my phone call
Old 11-26-2007, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

just talked to john at fuddle racing...he said that he has heard of this happening in 4 th but not 1st and 3rd...suggested going back and checking the bolts and check for checks in the fly wheel...

I stalled the car up to about 2500 and it doesn't make that noise...but if i let off the brake at idle and let the car pull itself it begins to make the grinding noise..when i coast from say 10 mph and put the trans in neutral the sound goes away..
Old 11-26-2007, 06:15 PM

From your post you made two changes:
1 – Replaced the 3-4 clutches
2 – Installed a new Fuddle converter

Typically a grinding noise that is caused by a converter lock-up clutch will happen in 4th if “OD” is selected or in 3rd if “D” is selected.
At this point I would I would suspect an internal transmission problem rather than the converter.

John
Old 11-26-2007, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

fuddle is saying that sometimes the lock up soleniod may be trying to lock up in 1st and 3rd....that it may need to be tuned...or the bolts are loose or fly wheel cracked...neither i think are the problem. i was present for the install. but i have never had to get a tune after a tc install.. regardless the trans will be coming back out and apart this weekend just to make sure nothing is wrong with it....thanks for the input
Old 11-26-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

do this test for me, put your car in first gear and drive the car up to 10-15 mph and let off the gas,(coast to a stop) is the noise louder? If it is let me know.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

I'll try it this afternoon.. but if i remember it does get louder...i remeber this because i was coasting to a stop yesterday and some guys were crossing the street. I heard them saying how cool my car was and all i could think about was the noise as it was stopping
Old 11-27-2007, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

just let it coast down to idle speed...it is just as loud. funny thing is if it is idleing in 1st and i pat the gas a little it changes speed of the grinding..but at a stop and stalled up there is no grinding...only while its moving and in gear...it doesn't get louder only faster pitch...what did you think the problem was??? maybe i can get the shop to look for that problem
Old 11-27-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like the problem i had, my trans was toast, well it still worked and shifted fine even when i steped on it but there was a grinding noise when i would let off the gas. It was much more noticable if i manually put it in first, brought it up to any mph and when i let off the gas i would hear grinding. If i just drove it, it sounded fine untill i let off the gas. Got a new trans and dont have that noise any more. Still got to take the old one apart..
Old 11-29-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Im having a similar problem as well. When its cold outside or the car hasnt been run all night it makes a "metallic grinding noise" at 1900-2100 RPM. Sometimes it dies down after it gets to normal operating temp but, its only in that RPM range and when its in drive only. If its parked and I rev it to 2K RPM it doesnt do it so I'm led to believe its something in the tranny.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

I haven't took the trans back apart yet but me and the shop both think it is not the convertor...I had problems with a tci before and normally when a convertor goes south it makes noise all the time not just in 1st and 3rd....the sound it makes now reminds me of a bad throw out bearing on a stick car
Old 12-01-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea thats true, if the converter is bad it will make the noise all the time since its always spinning. I had that problem with vibration, the car would vibrate at certain rpms in gear as well as park, put a new converter in, vibration is gone.. To me i think we all have a planetary gear problem as they are known for breaking/wearing out from not getting enough oil to them. will let you know when i take mine apart.

Quick Reply: grinding noise after convertor install