Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no o/d, 1-2 solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no o/d, 1-2 solenoid?

my 4l60e suddenly doesn't shift into overdrive anymore. every other gear works great. i ran some codes and got a 1-2 solenoid error code so i'm going to try to replace it. i've rebuilt engines but trannys make me nervous...how difficult is it to swap the solenoid and where exactly is it?
Old 12-09-2007, 12:35 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you still have first gear? The reason that I ask is because the solenoid that you are looking to replace is used in two gears. First gear and fourth gear.

Here is a break down of the valve body. The solenoids on the right side are shift solenoids. The one you are referring to is the bottom right one.

Solenoid on the bottom right is the A or 1-2 solenoid.

More photo's are in a link in my signature if you need them. Vince
Old 12-09-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice pics vince
Old 12-09-2007, 02:21 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you. I have been posting them up in the link in my Sig. These are all photo's taken in the shop at FLT. Straight from the front lines of FLT so to speak. Good thread and I have plenty to add to it but it takes time. Stay tuned. Glad you like them. Vince
Old 12-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

hey thanks a lot for the pictures. i do have first gear, only 4th is missing. the reason i figured on replacing the solenoid was because an error code for the 1-2 solenoid came up during a scan. when i'm driving around 55 or so and downshift to third i can feel the engine brake but if i throw it back in drive there's no difference.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Certainly if the system has stored a DTC for a shift solenoid it is worth replacing.

But, many timws we see a problem in the servo itself. or it could have a cracked accumulator piston as well.

Start with the solenoied and get back to us!

g
Old 12-10-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

What code is it?

Have you recently replaced a torque converter with a higher than factory stall speed?
Old 12-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

i used a matco scanner and i believe it was code 82 1-2 solenoid error. i put a vigilante 2800 stall converter on when i put the tranny in about 15,000 miles ago. i've had a computer tune also but i don't think that makes a difference. also, when i do the solenoid i'm going to change the filter. right now i'm using normal fluid but i want to change to royal purple. i know there will still be old fluid in the tranny even after i pull the pan so how would i go about getting it all out? sounds like a dumb question but i thought i'd ask.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by punkisntdead
i used a matco scanner and i believe it was code 82 1-2 solenoid error. i put a vigilante 2800 stall converter on when i put the tranny in about 15,000 miles ago. i've had a computer tune also but i don't think that makes a difference. also, when i do the solenoid i'm going to change the filter. right now i'm using normal fluid but i want to change to royal purple. i know there will still be old fluid in the tranny even after i pull the pan so how would i go about getting it all out? sounds like a dumb question but i thought i'd ask.
Getting it all out would require having a flush done with royal purple, That would be considerably exspensive but its the only way I could see to do it in the car.

Call 888-744-6542