Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60E Upgrades....help/suggestions needed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 4l60E Upgrades....help/suggestions needed.

I'm getting ready to install an edge 4000-4200 stall in my LT1('94 4l60e) and was looking for ways to help the tranny live. Keep in mind this car will be shifted around 6700-6800 and the car has put down 420+ with the stock conveter in it.

Also some fyi on the transmission condition...The car was purchased from a friend and he had the tranny rebuilt about 10k ago, fluid is clean and doesn't smell burnt. I'm assuming it was just a stock rebuild on the transmission.

Right now I'm collecting parts, so far I've just purchased a Tru-cool 4490 cooler and was thinking of adding a modified trans-go hd2 shift kit. Would this help? Also with the rpm I'm shifting at would it be smart to add a high output pump slide spring? As long as I can get it to live through the summer/fall I'll be happy. After that time I'm going to send it off to one of the sponsors on here for a rebuild.

Any other suggestions on what to do? Am I on the right track? All suggestions,tips,tricks and any info/help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Travis
Old 02-14-2008, 10:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of those upgrades sound fine.

At the end of the day though unless you do not replace the piston return springs inside the unit the high rpm's are gonna do it in... especially if it has the original "helper" springs at the 3/4 clutches.

But those mods ought to help it live in the short term.

g
Old 02-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
All of those upgrades sound fine.

At the end of the day though unless you do not replace the piston return springs inside the unit the high rpm's are gonna do it in... especially if it has the original "helper" springs at the 3/4 clutches.

But those mods ought to help it live in the short term.

g
Thanks for the reply.

Isn't the helper springs included in the transgo kit? Also isn't that the springs it says to leave out in the atsg book?

Thanks again!
Old 02-16-2008, 08:04 PM
FormerVendor

The springs I am referring to are located under the snap ring in the 3/4 clutch pack itself. Yep, these are the ones referenced in the ATSG book.

Depending on which kit you use you will indeed find they supply "stiffer" piston return springs.

Good Luck with it.

g
Old 02-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5-pinion front and rear planets out of a 4l65e, 9-clutch 3-4 pack: alto red eagle clutches/kolene steels, trans-go shift kit, steel separator plate, and hi-rev spring kit. "The Beast" sunshell, kevlar band, 29-element sprag. I think that's most of the upgrades to look into to get the most out of a 60.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:29 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by '00SLVRDO
5-pinion front and rear planets out of a 4l65e, 9-clutch 3-4 pack: alto red eagle clutches/kolene steels, trans-go shift kit, steel separator plate, and hi-rev spring kit. "The Beast" sunshell, kevlar band, 29-element sprag. I think that's most of the upgrades to look into to get the most out of a 60.

Sounds good

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-17-2008, 01:05 AM
FormerVendor

I do not agree with the Alto clutches. IMHO (and many other builders) they are inferier to a woven clutch like Borg Warner High Energy clutches.

Aside form that, there are several proprietary modifications I would perform. But, those stay close.

g
Old 02-17-2008, 02:04 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
I do not agree with the Alto clutches. IMHO (and many other builders) they are inferior to a woven clutch like Borg Warner High Energy clutches.

Aside form that, there are several proprietary modifications I would perform. But, those stay close.

g
I hope you don't mind me seconding this motion. I know how much it pisses you off when people copy what you say. At the end of the day a clutch is just what it is. If the hydraulic's don't work.....I don't care what you put in front of oil pressure. Meaning the build is just as good as it is set up. Plain and simple. Vince

Quick Reply: 4l60E Upgrades....help/suggestions needed.