Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory trans temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory trans temp sensor

Is there a sensor in the a4 for the 97 lt1 cars. If so are they even close at all to being actual.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes. It is located inside the unit attached to the Manifold Prssure Switch, which is bolted to the Valve Body.

It is accurate, it is a Thermistor... why do you ask?

g
Old 02-20-2008, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

I am looking into possibly getting the aeroforce gauge set up. It is supposed to be able to read trans temp. I was wondering if the info it gets from the computer would be at all close to actual temp. If not I will get another sender for the gauge. I have seen more good reviews for these gauges then bad so I am hoping the are a decent set up.

By the way thanks for the info.

Last edited by Enforcerws6; 02-20-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:14 PM
FormerVendor

You're welcome. The sensor inside the transmission can be considered accurate.

The key is going to be the interface device and the gauge.

g
Old 02-20-2008, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Thanks again
Well as long as the gauge is calibrated right maybe it will work out ok. I really should get a good gauge since I plan to be racing the car at the strip and will be putting in a stall this year hopefully. But if this thing reads good like they claim on their site maybe I will just use it.

Anyone reading this ever compare this gauge reading to a good after market trans temp gauge?
Old 02-20-2008, 10:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

It is indeed a pretty acurate reading

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-20-2008, 11:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take my temp reading from the cooler line coming out of the tranny, in effect the hottest temps you should see. When we were tuning my car, the computer never read what my gauge read. It always read cooler and varied by as much as 28 degrees. I don't know where the computer takes a reading from, but I didn't like the fact that it told me my temps were cooler than what they actually are.

I'm not saying the above experts are wrong, but I think it is important to know that you might have higher temps than what that gauge will tell you. I wanted to know absolute hottest temps my tranny ever saw. That's why I chose to put my sending unit in the line coming out of the tranny.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
I take my temp reading from the cooler line coming out of the tranny, in effect the hottest temps you should see. When we were tuning my car, the computer never read what my gauge read. It always read cooler and varied by as much as 28 degrees. I don't know where the computer takes a reading from, but I didn't like the fact that it told me my temps were cooler than what they actually are.

I'm not saying the above experts are wrong, but I think it is important to know that you might have higher temps than what that gauge will tell you. I wanted to know absolute hottest temps my tranny ever saw. That's why I chose to put my sending unit in the line coming out of the tranny.
IMO you want the most average temperature, and that sensor is in the pan so that should be it , But if your looking for peak temp the line going to cooler would be it, Now the worst place in IMO is the presure port as its measuring the case temp more so than the fluid temp

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-20-2008, 11:25 PM
FormerVendor

Hawk... there is a bit of a flaw in your thinking. That is, think about why the cooler is there in the first place.

The rotating assembly of the transmission does not generate heat, or not much at all is a better way to put it.

The Torque Converter is the component that generates the heat we are concerned with the most. That is why we take fluid coming out of the Converter and send it to the Cooler. From there it goes into the lubrication circuitry of the transmission. So you see that indeed a temp sender in either cooler line does not and will not ever give us an accurate temperature signal of the transmission itself.

Which is important because heat is the single most common killer of automatics. And that is why the factories all place the temperature sender inside of the transmission itself rather than in the cooler lines. Some cars do have senders in the cooler lines that will enable converter lockup when a high temp is observed, but not too many.

The fluid in the pan is the fluid that is picked up by the transmission pump and circulated throughout the unit. This is the fluid we are so very concerned about because it is used to cool the clutches and other elements, not to mention it could compromise rubber piston seals should it overheat.

Hope that helps.

g
Old 02-21-2008, 12:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Hawk... there is a bit of a flaw in your thinking. That is, think about why the cooler is there in the first place.

The rotating assembly of the transmission does not generate heat, or not much at all is a better way to put it.

The Torque Converter is the component that generates the heat we are concerned with the most. That is why we take fluid coming out of the Converter and send it to the Cooler. From there it goes into the lubrication circuitry of the transmission. So you see that indeed a temp sender in either cooler line does not and will not ever give us an accurate temperature signal of the transmission itself.

Which is important because heat is the single most common killer of automatics. And that is why the factories all place the temperature sender inside of the transmission itself rather than in the cooler lines. Some cars do have senders in the cooler lines that will enable converter lockup when a high temp is observed, but not too many.

The fluid in the pan is the fluid that is picked up by the transmission pump and circulated throughout the unit. This is the fluid we are so very concerned about because it is used to cool the clutches and other elements, not to mention it could compromise rubber piston seals should it overheat.

Hope that helps.

g
So could the temps inside the tranny be hotter than what's coming out of the converter? I assumed the hottest temps would be seen coming out of the converter. My observations while tuning seemed to support that idea since the computer never read as hot as my aftermarket gauge did. If that's the case, then that's what I was after. But if the tranny is getting hotter than what my gauge is telling me, then it's time to move the sender.

For instance, my average temps are between 100-150 cruising and 150-180 in stop and go traffic. That's depending on outside temp. So if my internal temps are lower than that as I assume they are, then I've accomplished my goal of knowing the hottest temps my tranny will ever see. If the temp of the fluid coming out of the tranny is 180, then it should be cooler inside. Am I wrong?

Last edited by 99Hawk262; 02-21-2008 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:26 AM
FormerVendor

I can't see anything wrong with that reasoning. But, I think the reason you are seeing the fluctuations in the the temp like you are is because of reading the converter fluid and not necessarily the fluid temps inside the pan.

I can't say as I would change anything if I were you... it sounds to me like you have a very good grip on the operation of your car. The key is to watch for spikes or higher than normal temps, if you see that then just let it stay in Lock Up for a little whil and it should cool right back down.

So could the temps inside the tranny be hotter than what's coming out of the converter?
Could the temps be higher, yes... but only if there was a significant problem. And I do not forsee that in your particular unit. Go back and read what I wrote... the hottest fluid in the transmission system is the converter outflow. It is a given that it is hot and detrimental to the transmission itself... that is why the cooler is placed in between the converter and the tranny sump. Rather than arbitrarily sending fluid off of say a port on the valve body. And that is why the factories read the fluid inside the pan... as opposed to the cooler lines themselves.

Your on the right track by monitoring the temp of your unit. That is the important thing here. Knowing what it does and when is very key to helping one live long term!

Hope that helps.

g
Old 02-21-2008, 12:37 AM
11 Second Club

Very helpful!! Mucho thanks for the help. It's great to know we've got sponsors like you looking out for us.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Yes very usefull information. Its hard not to learn things on this forum with all the great sponsors that visit here and answer our questions.

Has anyone had any experience with this setup using aeroforce gauges?

Quick Reply: Factory trans temp sensor