Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this sound like my tranny is the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does this sound like my tranny is the problem?

I bought my car bone stock... Soon after I did SLP Lid and 3.73 gears. The car went 12.9@108.5 with just those mods.

After I did those, I did the Long tubes and OR/Y and a tune. Ever since then the car seems like it just gets slower and slower... It wouldnt trap higher than 107.5 and I couldnt get back to the 12's...

Also, The car made 314rwhp/326rwtq with just the lid, then with the LT's and tune it made 317rwhp/321rwtq...

Now, I just rebuild the top end and added a TSP Torquer V2 cam. I brought it to the shop to be tuned and was very disappointed... It made 356rwhp/339rwtq. I as expecting/I was told I would make at least 370... Also, after the dyno runs there was a puddle of tranny fluid under the car.

Now for the worst part... My friend has a 1993 Formula with shorties/catback/intake. We raced the other night and from a 40 roll our cars were dead even. This completely blew my mind as to how a cammed LS1 can not even beat a 93 LT1.

Does this sound like my tranny was going and has been consistently getting worse? Could the tranny be the cause of the car loing all this power and slowing down every time I do more to it???

Thanks in advance for the help guys
-Scott
Old 05-12-2008, 09:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Anythngs possible but I think its more likley your combos are just not right. The larger cam may be slower because of a higher power band meaning you may need a stall to take advantage of it. Perhaps your should try posting all this in the engine section first and whats happening, The trans can only do one of two things transfer power or slip and a slip would be very obvious. Again I would ask around the engine section.

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 05-12-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

You need to get into your power band quicker with the comb you got. In order to take full advantage of your setup you need to get a bigger stall.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i still think theres more to it then just a stall because i ran mine for a 2 months without one and had a decent cam/heads and made a lot of power still...does your trans slip or anything
Old 05-12-2008, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Your trans will eventually go if it hasn't yet, but in order to get out of the hole quicker your going to need to get a stall to put you in your power band. Don't worry about dyno numbers most autos aren't dyno queens just try doing a search. I'am pretty sure your car puts down decent power. Racing is like a puzzle you have to have the right combo, just because a certain setup works for one car doesn't mean it will work for your car, all cars are different!
Old 05-12-2008, 10:39 PM
12 Second Club

I know but it just keeps getting slower everything I do to it... Theres no way the combo could have been bad enough to make it get slower going from intake/gears to intake/gears/longtubes/ORY/tune...
Old 05-13-2008, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

The point were trying to make is that your going to need a stall to match your setup, the stock stall is not putting you in your power band quick enough: therefore your car is not making the power were it should be. The power is there you just need to get in the power band quicker! You have a good setup but your not taking full advantage of it.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:58 AM
12 Second Club

but no matter how you cut it, the car made 356 when it whould have made a lot more, and a stall will just lower my dyno numbers...

I need to go to the track tho.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by johnLs1camaro
i still think theres more to it then just a stall because i ran mine for a 2 months without one and had a decent cam/heads and made a lot of power still...does your trans slip or anything
Same here... I've had my heads/cam since March and I still don't have a higher stall. There's got to be something else wrong.

Originally Posted by Sk8runeg
but no matter how you cut it, the car made 356 when it whould have made a lot more, and a stall will just lower my dyno numbers...

I need to go to the track tho.
Your dyno of 356hp is way too low... I dynoed at 352hp with the Volant intake and LTs. I think your problem lies in your engine not your tranny. You should have whomever is doing your work check out your internals something is definitely not right in there.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

It's quite possible that you have some issues, but I would bet that it's just the tune causing you to dyno less than you expected. The reason your car isn't getting any faster is the stall. You can make as much power as you want, but if your converter isn't putting you in the powerband, it'll never be as fast as it could be. Get your tune looked at and get a bigger stall converter.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah i agree but i would look at another tuner also
Old 05-14-2008, 07:50 AM
12 Second Club

I did the work myself. New head gaskets, front main seal, timing cover gasket, valve cover gaskets, coolant temp sensor, and bolts.

I did a compression test after the tune and it checked out fine. Its not like this is the start of this too. Ever since I did the long tubes it seems that the car is just getting slower and slower... which is why I am led to belive it is something tranny related not engine related.

I am going to do the tranny oil and filter tonight so I can check in there. Then I need to get it back to the tuner to see if the seafoam issue and the spark plug issue changed anything.

Then I am gonna get a stall.

Thanks for all the input guys keep it coming.
-Scott