Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700R4 issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 700R4 issues

Ok- I have a 700R4 i just put in my 94z28 which was a 6 speed car..

Now, If i'm driving around normaly it shifts ok and acts fine..

But if i get into it, it shifts through 1 & 2, then it shifts to third and just slips like crazy. The transmission is supposed to have a few upgraded parts in it and a shimmed accumulator and better servo and band, I've had it rebuilt twice now and the problem is still there.. Is my car just overpowering the transmission that bad? Fluid also smells bad - transmission has about 200 miles on it..
Old 07-09-2008, 10:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

No your not overpowering the trans based on your mods, Are you sure you had the TV cable properly adjusted failure there will burn up the 3-4 set very quickly. Also there is the possibility that the trans is just not being built properly , Like the 4L60E Hydraulics and the know how to work with them is everything its not as simple as putting in up graded parts

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-09-2008, 10:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

700's and 60E's are not very forgiving at all. Unfortunately if you have taken it to WOT more than a time or two it has definitely compromised the 3/4 clutches.

You will know your TV cable is adjusted properly if you can make a 2-1 WOT downshift immediately after a part throttle 1-2 upshift. There is a wealth of knowledge on the internet when it comes to adjusting the TV cable on a 700.

I'm afraid that if you do get it adjusted properly and it seems to be ok that you'll be postponing the inevitable. Sorry man, but I think your new unit is hurt.

Call me tomorrow, we can discuss it in detail.

g
Old 07-10-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I am 98% sure i had the TV cable adjusted properly. I bought the throttle cable/tv cable bracket for a 93 car and the same TV cable for a 93 car since i worked for a GM dealership. but it really doesnt seem to matter how i adjust it, the car always shifts through 1 & 2, but as soon as it goes into 3 if im WOT, i get instant RPM rev's like I hit nitrous or something, but i dont go anywhere.. another thing- the Torque converter lock up only works in 2nd gear too.. no 3rd or 4th when just cruising normaly..

I hopefully will have a J&W built TH350 and 34-3800 stall lined up next week...
Old 07-15-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

one of the tranny guys i work with says its possible for the input shaft to be turning inside the input drum? but wouldnt it do it more in 1st or 2nd gear rather than 3rd or 4th?

I've seen some 700r4's take some serious abuse, but dont know why i can kill one within 2 days.. hell 4 in the last 3 months and thats about 45 miles on each, and wait and work on it for 3 weeks.. then kill another tranny!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:53 PM
FormerVendor

one of the tranny guys i work with says its possible for the input shaft to be turning inside the input drum? but wouldnt it do it more in 1st or 2nd gear rather than 3rd or 4th?
Unfortunately he is not correct. If the Input shaft was rotating in the drum you'd know it. Seriously... you would not be asking the same questions.
I've seen some 700r4's take some serious abuse, but dont know why i can kill one within 2 days.. hell 4 in the last 3 months and thats about 45 miles on each, and wait and work on it for 3 weeks.. then kill another tranny!
The biggest reason 700's fail early in life is heavy throttle input with incorrectly adjusted Throttle Valve cables.

The TH700R4 is a very formidable transmission in the right hands. We have them living behind more than our share of BBC / N2O combinations. They are tougher than you know.

Call me. Let's see what we can figure out.

g
Old 07-16-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok- went and messed with the car again today.. -Tv cable adjustment is spot on, however... I have NO TCC lock up, and 1st and 2nd feel firm and good, but once it shifts to 3rd there is nothing, even at like 15/20% throttle.. trans is done for.. I had a guy come look at it that used to work a chevy dealership for like 20 some years doing thier trannys, and he works part time at the shop i work at now, and he does tranny's for a top fuel dragster and some pro stock cars... He told me to take it out of the car and we will tear it down and find out whats goin on.. he said it seems like the clutches in the 3/4 drum are not holding so he doesnt think the hydraulic piston is applying pressure. He said that sometimes though you might be able to get the band to hold and get 4th gear and overdrive? but mine doesnt have that either...

Gil- sorry I havent been able to call, i am just so busy at work, and i dont have hardly any $ to spend on buying a nice tranny from you guys.. Now if i still lived in TX, maybe.. ;p
Old 07-16-2008, 11:00 PM
FormerVendor

Man I hate to hear about your luck!

Lemme know if you need a hand.. I'll do what I can from here.

g
Old 07-16-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, how about a price on a 700R4 rebuild kit, and a shift kit to go along with it? I think i've got a 3500 stall lined up....
Old 07-16-2008, 11:04 PM
FormerVendor

Well, I don't sell parts. Sorry.

g
Old 07-16-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Well, I don't sell parts. Sorry.

g
haha.. well that sucks..