Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Anyone work for Kia?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone work for Kia?

I've been working for a Toyota dealership for about a year and a half in parts. Our owner recently purchased the Kia dealership in town and I've been offered the Parts Manager position there. I haven't been told a specific $ figure yet, but he says it will be "a lot" more, he's going to let me know an exact number later. Aside from the pay increase, I'm really not sure what to do about this. I really like working for Toyota, they're a great company and make a great product IMO. Kia, on the other hand, well.. you know. I'm really just wondering if anybody here has any experience (positive or negative) working with Kia or a Kia dealership. The only reason I'm hesitant is because of the quality of their product and the stigma that (I guess) goes along with saying "I drive a Kia". Any advice?
Old 09-20-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a friend who used to work as a tech for the local Kia dealership.

He said that the only parts they really "cheaped" out on from the factory--i.e. those that he had to replace most often--were those that were relatively easy for any mechanic to fix/diagnose.

Y'know, things like sensors, shift linkages, heat shields, valve cover gaskets, master cylinders (clutch and brake), etc.

He once told me that on a part where any normal manufacturer would've used metal, he found Kia to have used plastic. I thought he was joking until he brought me in to see a few....."things."

But, he said that the internals were solid as a rock as well as most of the suspension and major gaskets. Apparently he had to replace xxx times more head gaskets when he worked for Volkswagen than when he was at Kia.....

Just food for thought I guess.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned a Kia Sportage for 7 years now and had it since new in 2000. The thing keeps running despite a pretty good oil leak and some other odds and ends. It was my wifes and she beat the crap out of it before I got to have it as a DD. One thing that you should like as a parts guy for Kia is almost NOBODY carries parts for these cars. I just wanted a fan clutch and had to go to the dealer....$90.00!! 2 O-rings that were leaking from the oil filter housing...$24.00. Their parts are expensive and they are hard to get outside of the dealership, so you should do just fine.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Teching In

I accepted the position today. My base pay wasn't as much as I expected, but the commission was more than I expected. The last people who had the place ran it into the ground (the bank had shut the place down when we bought it) so there's nowhere to go but up... I should be able to double the current sales $$$ within a year or two. Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 09-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Teching In

You will not mind it at all and you will be shocked at how good the new product (05 and above) actually is.

I am a Kia Parts Manager myself and have been with Kia for almost 5 years. Every year the profits increase and so do the Sales. It is still a fast growing company and I am sure you will enjoy it.

Only thing is stay on top of you DCS reports for backorders. Kia has a few right now that are fasst moving parts and are a pain to have to explain to customers. However the all and all of it is not bad at all.

Also always check you core returns and anything else that Kia request. I just had to eat $1440.00 do to there is a 2nd screen in your warrenty end of DCS that kia uses to call back random parts. That info will not be found in your parts section but in your warenty claims section.

Good luck.

Also if you get a Demo get a V6 Optima or a Sorento. Both of those are nice and good drivng cars. Very from from being a "piece of ****".
Old 09-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply! As for the warranty and core stuff, we have an awesome warranty administrator that stays on top of everything. At the Toyota dealership there would be anywhere from 100 to 160 open R.O.'s at a time, most of which were warranty claims that needed to be closed. The girl here closes them as soon as the job is completed. Anyway, she gives me core and warranty return paperwork as soon as it's printed. If I missed something, she would definitely let me know.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jgonzales
Thanks for the reply! As for the warranty and core stuff, we have an awesome warranty administrator that stays on top of everything. At the Toyota dealership there would be anywhere from 100 to 160 open R.O.'s at a time, most of which were warranty claims that needed to be closed. The girl here closes them as soon as the job is completed. Anyway, she gives me core and warranty return paperwork as soon as it's printed. If I missed something, she would definitely let me know.

Thats bad ***. The ladies here are horrible at letting me kno anything and toss out my paper work. If I don't find it myself then I would never even know.

The close **** fast and get it in the system good but thats about it.

As I said though, I think in time you will like it.

Only grip I have is the recall a part but only ship X amount. You will more than likely need more but they will be on back order with in a week. Customers hate that you cant get the part since they have the notice and think their car is going to explode.

Other than that everything is very easy.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work for hyundai, and they are very easy to work on. and they only have 2 kinds of oil filters, which is really easy
Old 10-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Banned

HELLO - So you peddled Toyota parts after looking at a PC for 18 mths.

And you were hesitant to become a MANAGER in an off brand dealership because?

Glad you took the job proud of you. Base pay plus commissions and you manage the place. Hopefully you'll become contact every insurance company, every body shop in your area. Learn these folks names history etc. Call it your data base. Something you retain in your PC. Something you develop, a working relationship, first name basis.

Companies, I sell Kia parts let me EARN your business.

A couple years from now a better job comes along because your store became the #1 Kia parts store. You switch brands but you take your data base with you. All your contact information goes with you. You can start over. A base pay job and commission and you're young. WOW! You better plan on working 60 hr weeks. It will pay for itself again and again.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Regular

I have 2 2006 Kia rios for daily drivers for my wife and I. I am really pleased with the little car. Their quality has come up a long way since they were first introduced. I get 40 MPG every tank, they are roomy, don't look to awefull bad and I only paid $9,000 a piece out the door with tax, title, and tag brand new.

My buddy has a 2001 Rio with over 150,000 miles and has had very little problems with it. He drives 140 miles a day to work and back.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jays00ss
I have 2 2006 Kia rios for daily drivers for my wife and I. I am really pleased with the little car. Their quality has come up a long way since they were first introduced. I get 40 MPG every tank, they are roomy, don't look to awefull bad and I only paid $9,000 a piece out the door with tax, title, and tag brand new.

My buddy has a 2001 Rio with over 150,000 miles and has had very little problems with it. He drives 140 miles a day to work and back.
Hyundai and Kia are stepping up.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry I don't work for Kia, I am a Service Advisor for Subaru and we are also a KIA dealer too, but the guy next to me deals with them.

Good luck.