Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Best and worst used cars : YAHOO

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best and worst used cars : YAHOO

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...rst-used-cars/

Savvy car buyers know that the best way to get the most vehicle for their money is to buy a used car. With the average new car losing 47 percent of its value in the first three years, buying used is an affordable way to get the safety and comfort features you want at a far better price.

2009 Honda Fit
The Best of the best list guides you to the 2001 to 2010 models that scored well in our road tests when new and have been consistently reliable over time. Each has achieved multiple years of above-average used-car verdicts (available to subscribers), indicating that owners have had relatively few problems.

Models built by Toyota and Honda dominate the list once again, and many of the best used vehicles are from Asian manufacturers. But high-quality vehicles are available from domestic and European automakers as well.

The Worst of the worst list shows models that have had multiple years of below-average reliability in our survey. It is dominated by vehicles from domestic and European manufacturers, primarily General Motors, which had 16 of the 29 models listed.

Our reliability data are derived from our Annual Auto Survey, which generated responses from subscribers on 1.3 million vehicles.

We also list reliable cars by price range (available to subscribers), so that you can easily see what's available for your budget.

Our Used cars to avoid list (available to subscribers) highlights specific models and the years that they had below-average reliability.
Best of the best
Here we highlight the most reliable and well-rounded vehicle in each category. We also list other contenders in order of their overall reliability scores for model years 2001 to 2010. Each model has at least three years of reliability data.

Small cars
Honda Fit
The Fit has been an economical, reliable, and versatile hatchback ever since it went on sale in the U.S. in 2007. It packs a huge amount of usable space into a small package and has standard antilock braking and curtain air bags. But before 2011 electronic stability control (ESC) was available only on models with the optional navigation system.
Family cars
Toyota Prius

2004 Toyota Prius
The Prius has had outstanding reliability and has delivered standout fuel economy. But the redesigned 2010 model has only average reliability. Look for one with optional ESC, starting with 2004 models.

Upscale cars
Lexus ES
The ES has long been a strong contender in this category. It has had outstanding reliability over the past 10 model years and is quiet and comfortable. ESC became standard with the redesigned 2007 model, which included a bigger engine and a six-speed automatic transmission.

Luxury cars
2005 Acura RL

2005 Acura RL
While the RL isn't the sportiest car, it has had excellent reliability wrapped in a comfortable and refined package. The 2005 redesign brought standard all-wheel drive but complicated controls. The Infiniti M35 is sportier and the much-larger Lexus LS is more luxurious.

Sports & sporty cars
Mazda MX-5 Miata

2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata
The Miata is affordable and fun to drive. Look for models after 2006, when ABS became standard. The Lexus SC is a top-down cruiser with the added comfort of a folding hard-top roof. For a sportier alternative, consider the Acura RSX coupe and the Honda S2000 roadster.

Small SUVs
Honda CR-V
The CR-V is comfortable and drives like a car, with a fuel-efficient four-cylinder engine. In 2005 ESC and curtain air bags were made standard, and the 2007 redesign brought more power and improved fuel efficiency. The Acura RDX is quick and agile but has a stiff ride. The Toyota RAV4 and Mitsubishi Outlander offer third-row seats.

Midsized & large SUVs
Toyota Highlander
The Highlander is quiet and refined, with a comfortable ride. It delivers good fuel economy, especially the Hybrid model. The Toyota Land Cruiser combines luxury with serious off-road ability.

Minivans
Toyota Sienna (FWD)

2008 Toyota Sienna
A Lexus-like ride and comfort are hallmarks of the Sienna. The well-mannered suspension and refined V6 engine, along with very good reliability, are among its strong suits. Look for post-2004 models, which are roomier and more powerful. AWD is optional, but the run-flat tires may wear somewhat quickly. The Honda Odyssey has better handling, but its reliability has not been as good.

Pickup trucks
Honda Ridgeline

2007 Honda Ridgeline
The Ridgeline combines car-like handling with the utility of a pickup truck. It is easy to get in and out of the cabin, the tailgate can open horizontally or drop down, and the composite bed has a lockable, all-weather trunk. The Toyota Tundra offers greater towing and cargo-hauling capacities.

Worst of the worst
These models, listed alphabetically, have multiple years of reliability that's much worse than average among 2001 to 2010 models.
Audi A6 (2.7T, 3.0T)----------------------GMC Acadia (AWD)
BMW 535i (AWD)--------------------------GMC Canyon (4WD)
BMW X5------------------------------------GMC S-15 Sonoma (4WD)
Cadillac SRX (AWD)-----------------------GMC Safari
Chevrolet Astro----------------------------Hummer H3
Chevrolet Aveo----------------------------Jaguar S-Type, XF
Chevrolet Blazer--------------------------Kia Sedona
Chevrolet Colorado (4WD)----------------Mercedes-Benz R-Class
Chevrolet Impala (V8)--------------------Mini Cooper Convertible
Chevrolet S-10 Pickup (4WD)------------Pontiac G6 Coupe & Convertible
Chevrolet Uplander-----------------------Saturn Outlook (FWD)
Chrysler PT Cruiser (turbo)--------------Saturn Relay
Chrysler Town & Country-----------------Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible
Dodge Caravan----------------------------Volkswagen Passat (V6, FWD)
Dodge Grand Caravan

Now time for people to get their panties in a knot.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

im not surprised except by a ridgeline.

but while its hard for some to face domestic vehicles arent YET as good as its asian competitors.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont really agree with the g6 as a worst. my mom has a 2008 gxp and i love it
Old 03-10-2011, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolmanvette75
dont really agree with the g6 as a worst. my mom has a 2008 gxp and i love it
give it time, you'll see....I worked in a GM dealer for 5 years, the G6's have tons of electrical, transmission, and steering issues, not to mention if you got the panoramic sunroof or folding hardtop option....I hope you have an extended warranty.

what amazes me is that Toyota can have all of these recalls, not fix half of them correctly, but everyone still thinks they are the best cars on the planet. I don't get it....they are boring, plain, rental cars that you pay nearly sticker for every time. I'm not saying that GM and Ford don't build some junk too...but at least their junk looks kinda cool and you get a $4500 rebate
Old 03-10-2011, 10:55 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by turbowhistle86
what amazes me is that Toyota can have all of these recalls, not fix half of them correctly, but everyone still thinks they are the best cars on the planet. I don't get it....they are boring, plain, rental cars that you pay nearly sticker for every time.
I agree.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
im not surprised except by a ridgeline.

but while its hard for some to face domestic vehicles arent YET as good as its asian competitors.
+1. Ridgeline is hardly a truck at all - but great for the urban cowboy who never needs to tow or haul anything other than a T.V.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by turbowhistle86
give it time, you'll see....I worked in a GM dealer for 5 years, the G6's have tons of electrical, transmission, and steering issues, not to mention if you got the panoramic sunroof or folding hardtop option....I hope you have an extended warranty.

what amazes me is that Toyota can have all of these recalls, not fix half of them correctly, but everyone still thinks they are the best cars on the planet. I don't get it....they are boring, plain, rental cars that you pay nearly sticker for every time. I'm not saying that GM and Ford don't build some junk too...but at least their junk looks kinda cool and you get a $4500 rebate
I already had to work on those items on my sisters g6.

The thing about it on the second part is because they aren't really disposable cars like what domestics make. After 3-5 yrs the aren't worth a **** on value compared to their asian counterparts.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:00 PM
10 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by 5w20
The thing about it on the second part is because they aren't really disposable cars like what domestics make.
Disposable?
What is this, 1979? LOL
Nothing that GM or Ford (and even Chrysler) currently makes/sells is what I would ever call disposable or total pieces of sh*t.
I'm driving an 11+ year old Camaro, a car that wasn't even considered among the 'better' domestic nameplate offerings back then, that's been raced and beaten on and lately hasn't even been all that well maintained and it's still an impeccably reliable and dependable car (that also runs high 11s and gets 26mpg as a bonus).

Can we please leave the dark era of the '70s and '80s behind and not let bias and bad history cloud our judgement.
Because if we're going to do that then I can bring up Asian vehicles from the '50s and '60s as well...talk about disposable cars that had bad resale LOL.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Ridgeline can tow 5,000lbs and has a payload of 1500lbs. Good enough for most truck owners. I wouldn't own one though. It will always be F150 for my family.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like how the "worst list" is actually only about 5-6 cars, all with different names.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:26 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by justin455
I like how the "worst list" is actually only about 5-6 cars, all with different names.
Not really...
Old 03-10-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

Yahoo is always coming up with stupid things like this. A couple weeks ago they had some story about how you shouldn't let your car idle to warm up. The story said to "trust my mechanic" who said you should just drop it in gear and go. The story was from some anti-idling group from philly or somewhere.

I haven't had any problems other than a dead battery out of my g6 yet (fingers crossed) and I wouldn't call it a bad car
Old 03-10-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by X-ray
The Ridgeline can tow 5,000lbs and has a payload of 1500lbs. Good enough for most truck owners. I wouldn't own one though. It will always be F150 for my family.

You're right that its more than most truck owners, since most don't need a truck. However, for those that need a real truck, a FWD biased, transverse mounted engine, 1500lb payload vehicle is just plain laughable. Every domestic half ton made can tow double that rating for the same or less cost.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

When you make cars as gutless and boring as the imports they have no choice to be somewhat reliable. I do my own survey's when I'm on trips to see what cars I see setting along the road broke more.....95% of the time I see more imports....even though more domestics are sold. Try it for yourself.....to me they're **** is junk.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Irunelevens, how do you figure not? Of the 16 GM products you have only about 4 completely different vehicles. (Save the daewoo and legendary wbody with a glass tranny) The pair of beemers share the same basic architecture and the trio of chrysler minivans are the exact same down to everything but body panels. Makes me wonder where the hyundai entourage is considering the kia sedona showing up?!
Old 03-11-2011, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by justin455
Irunelevens, how do you figure not? Of the 16 GM products you have only about 4 completely different vehicles. (Save the daewoo and legendary wbody with a glass tranny) The pair of beemers share the same basic architecture and the trio of chrysler minivans are the exact same down to everything but body panels. Makes me wonder where the hyundai entourage is considering the kia sedona showing up?!
I'm with you....the Colorado, Canyon, and H3 are all pretty much the same powertrain, as with the Outlook and Acadia, the Astro, Safari, Blazer, and S10 all shared powertrain as well...not to mention the Relay and Uplander sisters.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:45 PM
***Repost Police***

Sharing a powertrain or an engine is not the same thing as being the "same car." For example, wasn't the Astro/Safari built on a 1/2 ton frame? So saying that it was the same as the Blazer/S10 would be like saying the Corvette and F-body were the same, because they had the same engine/transmission.

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
When you make cars as gutless and boring as the imports they have no choice to be somewhat reliable. I do my own survey's when I'm on trips to see what cars I see setting along the road broke more.....95% of the time I see more imports....even though more domestics are sold. Try it for yourself.....to me they're **** is junk.
Dude, you act like every American car is a Corvette and every foreign car is a '91 Civic DX.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Sharing a powertrain or an engine is not the same thing as being the "same car." For example, wasn't the Astro/Safari built on a 1/2 ton frame? So saying that it was the same as the Blazer/S10 would be like saying the Corvette and F-body were the same, because they had the same engine/transmission.

Dude, you act like every American car is a Corvette and every foreign car is a '91 Civic DX.
The Astro was a unit body.....Foreign cars are all civics to me, might as well ride in a tin can. American cars could be alot better imo, but their lightyears ahead of that foreign ****. When I open up the localish Valley Trader and start sifting through it I notice how alot of the foreign stuff has had head gaskets, new motors, new trans and other this and thats....and then I think....hmmm.. Their **** usally don't have enough power to pour **** out of a boot and it still breaks, what a load of crap.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:59 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
The Astro was a unit body.....Foreign cars are all civics to me, might as well ride in a tin can. American cars could be alot better imo, but their lightyears ahead of that foreign ****. When I open up the localish Valley Trader and start sifting through it I notice how alot of the foreign stuff has had head gaskets, new motors, new trans and other this and thats....and then I think....hmmm.. Their **** usally don't have enough power to pour **** out of a boot and it still breaks, what a load of crap.
You must be looking at a completely different world than I am. There are TONS of high mileage Hondas/Toyotas around here with 200k+ miles. Some with 500k+. On the original powertrain.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:54 AM
10 Second Club

Like I said...go for ride and count whats sitting along side the rode broke down...You can see for yourself that way.

Quick Reply: Best and worst used cars : YAHOO