Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Winter Driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Driving

Unfortunately I have to drive the V in the harsh Indiana weather. How many of you guys drive yours in the snow and how does the car handle? Obviously RWD with the power is going to be tricky. I'm thinking with some snow tires I'll be able to make it through the snow alright. Any thoughts?
Old 11-09-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

With traction control and snows, it's fine. I'd even say mine goes through the snow well. I live on the IL/IN state line. We don't get as much as you do, but we got plenty last season. I was never close to being stuck.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gus_Mahn
With traction control and snows, it's fine. I'd even say mine goes through the snow well. I live on the IL/IN state line. We don't get as much as you do, but we got plenty last season. I was never close to being stuck.
Good to hear. I go to school in bloomington, IN and it doesn't snow nearly as much down here but it seems that when I'm home for christmas break the south bend area gets pounded. With as much traveling around as I do I feel like the snow tires are a must.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:17 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Off topic... I lived in Martinsville, In for 5 years when I was younger, left in 8th grade. I'm now in Texas and kind of miss the snow.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I lived in Illinios for a couple years, and I can say I don't miss the snow at all, or the cold. haha, I love being in Texas. Sorry for the off topic .
Old 11-09-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

lol im gunna continue the off topicness with now living in CT not a far leap from NJ i HATE THE COLD, i should of went to school down south
Old 11-10-2010, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

I'm up in Appleton, WI and drive almost constantly for work. I picked up a set of Dunlop M3's last year and my V handled the snow just fine.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

With snow tires it's not a concern. It drives very well...I drive mine in the winter and we get a decent amount of snowfall here in SE Michigan. Anything over 3-4 inches I would recommend snow tires. I've driven in 6-8 inches without a problem...bring on the snow!
Old 11-10-2010, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Im glad to read this. I was concerned sellign my LGT for a CTS-V, especially with winter approaching. But MD doesnt tend to get much snow anyway.

But can the CTS-V have fun in the snow or does it just get by?
Old 11-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Launching!

You'll be fine, just skip shift. Snow tires do help but you can survive with the stock run-flats if you really wanted to.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igD7KanzvAE

The end of a fun day last year. Just driving around lookign for unplowed places....

Had done better than that most of the day but as you can see in the video there are objects on all 4 side of the small lot and th ecenter was so cleared by our tires that I was cathcign grip each time I went across the center.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANEbz...eature=related
Old 11-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Launching!

these are what i'm looking at. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....V&autoModClar= i bought a secondary set of V wheels and was gonna throw the snows on them.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

I have the Pilot Sport runflats on a extra set of wheels.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Launching!

Sorry for going Off Topic again here but,,

I'm looking for an extra set of wheels for snow tires as well. They don't have to be perfect, but I don't want junk either. If you've got a set e-mail me at Hammrhead@Comcast.net .

Otherwise a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus Tires for my stock wheels? Anyone have any experience with these in the winter/snow?
Old 11-10-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for posting my video there was around 8 inches of snow on the roads that night... Blizzak LM-25 they are great tires Hope to get one more season out of them!
Old 11-10-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We don't have snow and hardly any rain, but you can start in 2nd with no issues on these cars and it helps a lot (in the rain). I've even mistakenly started in 3rd, but you do have to rev it a bit.

I have driven in snow/ice before though in other cars...Just use your head once you get going and don't make any sudden moves (braking, accelerating, swerving, etc.) and you should be fine...(snow) Tires made a huge difference for me on my rwd when I drove in those conditions...My biggest concern there would be the darn salt they use. Just try to clean it off underneatch and such regularly, I suppose.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
We don't have snow and hardly any rain, but you can start in 2nd with no issues on these cars and it helps a lot (in the rain). I've even mistakenly started in 3rd, but you do have to rev it a bit.

I have driven in snow/ice before though in other cars...Just use your head once you get going and don't make any sudden moves (braking, accelerating, swerving, etc.) and you should be fine...(snow) Tires made a huge difference for me on my rwd when I drove in those conditions...My biggest concern there would be the darn salt they use. Just try to clean it off underneatch and such regularly, I suppose.
yea starting in 2nd will be a regularity. i order the snow tires today and will have them on the car here in a few weeks. It makes me sick driving the car in the salt but I just don't have any other options. I will be trying to clean the underbody all the time.

Quick Reply: Winter Driving