Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Deformed prop shaft, what happend?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deformed prop shaft, what happend?

Hey Guys,

look at this prop shaft Joint on diff side, someone can told me, what they have done before, the boot there is also broken:

Best regards,
Ronald
Old 11-13-2014, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone's been in there before. You can see tool marks on the bolts. Possibly lowered the diff to change a bushing with the DS still attached.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Could you fix that Voodoochikn?
Old 11-13-2014, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, i´ve seen the marks on the bolts, maybe they changed whole diff into a newer one, will look at the # next time when i´m under the car.

But which tool you need on this place here to do something for swapping the diff and that causes such a damage?

And what about vibrations at high Speed, it will be out of balance now?

Best regards,
Ronald
Old 11-13-2014, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jmargo
Possibly lowered the diff to change a bushing with the DS still attached.
yahtzee! Exactly what I was thinking too.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:01 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure why someone would need to be inside there. It comes apart from the other side of the CV. It was probably on a shelf or disconnected at the front and center dangling from that end and someone rotated the tires. Or they pried it the retrying to get it apart.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
to get it apart.
That it is, what i was thinking!

There will be a centering on input flange from diff, so i have to use a jemmy or something else that it will come loose, bec it´s be baked together on this place ?

Best regards,
Ronald
Old 11-15-2014, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't been able to source those rear caps/boots.... Yet.. But as long at there isn't any grease leaking out...its ok. Or water getting in. I'd clean it and silicone over the tear. The deformation won't be a problem if it isn't hitting anything.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I did my rear subframe bushings, I noticed a very similar deformation in the shaft in that location as well. Mine didn't have a torn boot though. I'm wondering if my diff was replaced. I wrote the number of the diff down but promptly lost it. I wanted the number so I could verify the generation of it. Also, on mine the witness marks, the paint that the original assembly person put there to show proper shaft alignment was one bolt off. I put it back to original. I dunno just weird, someone has been in there before.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:34 AM
TECH Regular

@ Matt: Yes, i share your opinion about leaking grease and getting water into the boot, want to clean the tear and put some electrical tape on it which is like a rubber band with welding function and hope it will hold up in its position, Silicone maybe also an Option!

The reason why i´m worried about the unbalance is, if next year when i got the summer tires in W or Z spec, i wanna lead the top Speed of this car and when i reach this around 160mph, the prop shaft will turn (6500/0,84 or 4500/0,56) 8000rpm, there will be a small unbalance become a big onces and i´m worried about a exploding diff or something like that, i´ve seen and read a lot from bad diffs here, didn´t been happy to get this experience at top Speed, all noises and vibrations are unknown from this car for me, bec i´m a newbie in GM cars!

Best regrads,
Ronald
Old 11-17-2014, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That deformation won't cause any balance issues. Also when they balance driveshafts to determine where to put the weights they use Velcro straps to hold the weights in place (most do)... So tiny bits of weight like a ziptie...dab of silicone... Won't cause an unbalance even at 8,000+ rpms.. Electrical tape will not hold on unless secured with a zip tie. Water can still penetrape that.

I'll try to source that part and you can send your shaft in for poly upgrade and a new rear boot cap!

Quick Reply: Deformed prop shaft, what happend?