Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

8.8 Diff Build WTF

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy 8.8 Diff Build WTF

Having some issues if you guys wouldn't mind chiming in. First rear end build but I think I have all the parts in there and in the right places. See more detial posted in the general rear end forum:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...nt-pinion.html

Thanks guys!
Old 07-02-2016, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Who gets the dumbass of the week award? This guy in the mirror. Should have clicked when I said I had multiple new crush sleeves. And I know I am too lazy to clean the old sleeve that well.

Adjustable came right off and slips on with no resistance the other way around. First pic adj crush sleeve eliminator(Yukon brand). Second pic, crushed sleeve on left, new sleeve on right. So just need to adjust the crush eliminator to that (shorter) height and should be good. At least now I know I can get the thing built when I get back from vacation.

Thanks for the help!

Old 07-02-2016, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Not to throw another wrench in your mix but don't run that crush sleeve. Go buy the solid version with the spacer kits.

Also, if you have never setup a rear before......id advise to not start with this one. Jason at TDP sets mine up for like $250. And they are perfect. Wipe my hands done.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Got the solid version. First pic. After all this, I think your advice would have been the ticket before I got this deep. At this point it's a matter of personal pride to finish what I started. Might eat a set of gears my first try but now that I've assembled/disassembled several times, I think I can do the job pretty quickly in the future. Nice thing is, Ford Racing 8.8 stuff is quality and cheap. I've also got the unique advantage of several IRS setups hanging around the shop in various states..so if it is real bad, I'll borrow a factory Ford unit and tackle this thing later. Don't really want the 3.55s but it would get it rolling.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Set the backlash on the loose end of the range. .010-.014 gives you a little insurance for high heat on hard driven days. I've done a million 8.8 for swapping into jeeps. The other thing to do is make a shim for clutch packs if it's a OE Ford diff. Cut a shim that matches the round clutch packs in center and use to preload the diff even more for a "tighter diff."
Old 07-13-2016, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the advice! I am trying a TrueTrac for the first time in this build so hopefully that will just "work" for me but there are quite a few stock 8.8 Cobra center sections around the shop I'll probably be playing with if/when I get this one right.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercier
Thanks for the advice! I am trying a TrueTrac for the first time in this build so hopefully that will just "work" for me but there are quite a few stock 8.8 Cobra center sections around the shop I'll probably be playing with if/when I get this one right.
True Trac is a great diff. for the street.
Have used a True Track on the front of some off road trucks because it has lots of "slip" off throttle. The Detroit locker is a defiantly a little beefier but will be a handful on damp/dirty streets.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TaylorMadeMetalWork
True Trac is a great diff. for the street.
Have used a True Track on the front of some off road trucks because it has lots of "slip" off throttle. The Detroit locker is a defiantly a little beefier but will be a handful on damp/dirty streets.
Good to hear. I am hoping it is equally at home on a road race course. This is where I'm telling myself the V is headed. The Jeep has a narrowed Dana 60 waiting for it...when I get the V finished..when I get the truck running right. Hi, my name is Chris and I have an eBay problem.

Quick Reply: 8.8 Diff Build WTF