Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

8.8 IRS build WTF - 1/4" movement in pinion!

Old 07-01-2016, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy 8.8 IRS build WTF - 1/4" movement in pinion!

I am building my first rear end. For the V. I purchased the Ford Racing gear install kit "for all 8.8 including IRS(with improved GT500 bearing)" and a set of Ford Racing 4.56 gears. Also a TrueTrac but I don't think that matters yet.

So I stripped/cleaned the housing. Measured the pinion head that came out, luckily EXACTLY the same as the new pinion. Go Ford. I used the same pinion(head) bearing shim and pressed that and the new(big) bearing on the pinion. It is seated all the way down. Pressed in the big and small races for the pinion, inserted the rear(small) bearing, oil slinger, and carefully pressed in the rear seal.

(did some measuring for pinion depth and such but you'll see in a sec why these fine measurements don't matter)

I measured the old crush sleeve and set up my (adjustable) crush sleeve eliminator to the same dimension. Placed it on the pinion, pinion in the housing, drive flange(correct orientation; plastic piece to the housing) on the pinion, tightened the pinion nut to at least 200 ft lbs.

Punchline? I can move the pinion in the housing in and out almost 1/4" and I can't figure out why. I removed it several times and even went back with an impact and beat the hell out of it. Still a TON of slack.

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated. I am learning and lost. And frustrated as hell. Already changed the pinion bearing once, jacking up the other new one on removal. Same issue.

Suspects: somehow I got a housing where someone had half-*** put some gears in there and never crushed the sleeve so my measurement is false? How much does an 8.8 crush sleeve usually "crush?"

Thanks all!
Old 07-01-2016, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Old 07-01-2016, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Are you saying the whole pinion ie the flange and all moves in and out of the housing 1/4 of an inch?
Old 07-01-2016, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

But, long story short, if thats the case, then the bearings are too far apart, no two ways about it.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Yes. And I agree. The bearings are obviously too far apart. but with the right bearings and races, HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE??!! What would cause the gaps not to be closed when i torque the CRAP out of the pinion nut? I'm really scratching my head on this. It occurs to me that if I hadn't properly seated the races, a) the torque would pull them in or b) it would be "tighter" quicker.

Thanks for the attention!
Old 07-01-2016, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd get a crush sleeve from the parts store and properly install it, take it back apart and use that for reference.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Put it back together with the original used crush sleeve and see how it acts. But it sounds like youve got a wrong part in there somewhere honestly.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Damn you and your good(and should have been obvious to me) ideas. I'll do that tomorrow. Currently the adjustable crush eliminator is a little stuck on the pinion but I'll get it off, 20 ton press willing.

I think both the install kit and the gears both came with a new crush sleeve so I'm a bit rich in that department.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

After getting my 8.8 in, my rear cover seal started to leak a few days later. It's a PITA to take back out just to fix a leaky cover. I almost used some RTV along with the gasket initially but talked myself out of it. I really wish I had done it now!!
Old 07-01-2016, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the tip. The kit actually comes with an impressive gasket..not just paper but some reinforcements and sealing material. But I definitely have a can of the wonder-cheese gasket maker stuff in a can I will be slathering on both sides.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

The solid crush sleeve should not be tight on the pinion gear. So something is definitely wrong.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

It could have gone on there two ways. One way it slipped right on all the way. The other there was a slight interference fit where the pinion shaft is slightly enlarged toward the seating area for the crush sleeve. I think I was just trying everything, even if it didn't seem like the best idea. The OD of one side of the crush sleeve eliminator is tapered so thinking was maybe this changed how it interfaces with the bearing. Obviously not so but this was the second to last thing I had on my list to try; last being throw it out in traffic.

"Right side up" gave the same end result...just wasn't stuck on the pinion after.

Going to try to get some work out of the way then head to the shop and at least try one of the new crush sleeves.

Anybody got a pic of a crushed 8.8 sleeve so I know how much distance it normally absorbs?

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2016, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Who gets the dumbass of the week award? This guy in the mirror. Should have clicked when I said I had multiple new crush sleeves. And I know I am too lazy to clean the old sleeve that well.

Adjustable came right off and slips on with no resistance the other way around. First pic adj crush sleeve eliminator(Yukon brand). Second pic, crushed sleeve on left, new sleeve on right. So just need to adjust the crush eliminator to that (shorter) height and should be good. At least now I know I can get the thing built when I get back from vacation.

Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 8.8 IRS build WTF - 1/4" movement in pinion!