Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Rich codes 172 and 175 and a couple other questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rich codes 172 and 175 and a couple other questions.

Since my car arrived at the dealership, it has been getting codes for system rich on both banks. They are working to correct the problem, but I figured some others might be able to chime in.

When it got off the truck from California, they replaced a vacumme line.

The codes came back in a few days and they replaced the vacumme line that goes to the TB.

I went to the track next and ran the 13.66@105. A couple days later the codes come back and they found a TSB on this issue and cleaned the fuel system to get rid of carbon deposits that were making the O2s read lean and the computer to dump more fuel.

That was this past wednesday. Friday (yesterday) the codes are back AGAIN. I am taking it in this week for them to work on some more.

They also asked me if the car always ran at 195 degrees. I said yes and that even in extreme heat and traffic it only goes up to 196 or 197 degrees. They seem to think that it should be running at 210 degrees. When I bring it back they are going to throw in a new thermostat in case the one I have isnt stock..lol. Somehow they think that might be related.

Any ideas? The car feels really strong, but I wouldn't know if its 100% because I've never driven one before this. I think the mph on my track run was 2 or 3mph slower than it should have been, but the weather really sucked and figured that was the cause. I'll go back to the track in good weather and see if I pick up that mph.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

I know there are some possible simple solutions for this like cleaning the maf, replacing the airfilter, etc...I'd like to think that the dealer has tried this already, but I'll double check just to make sure.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

u cant clean a MAF that will damage the sensor,did they try a new MAF,test the MAP sensor or ck the evap purge valve for sealing,ck the heating circuit on the HO2 sensors,intake air temp sensor and ck the fuel injector system and fuel psi and volume,
Jeremiah, if the can not fix ur car give me call i can help
Old 08-09-2009, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cts-vls6
u cant clean a MAF that will damage the sensor,did they try a new MAF,test the MAP sensor or ck the evap purge valve for sealing,ck the heating circuit on the HO2 sensors,intake air temp sensor and ck the fuel injector system and fuel psi and volume,
You can clean the MAF with MAF cleaner or electronic parts cleaner. I am actually planning on doing this tomorrow.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cts-vls6
Thank man.

The light went away today so I guess this is an intermittent issue...which should be fun because the car is supposed to go back to the dealer tomorrow..haha. It tends to go away after my wife drives it for a while (she had it all day yesterday). It tends to come on the morning after I am driving kind of "spirited".
Old 08-10-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cleaned my MAF yesterday with no ill effects. I'm not sure that it did anything either but I always make sure to clean it after I clean/recharge my K&N Filter. Wouldn't want any of that oil on the maf wires!
Old 08-12-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

They are replacing the thermostat right now. What does everyone's car run at in the heat? Mine never budges above 195. They think that the computer is thinking the car is running too cold and making it run rich. I've seen this happen before, but has anyone experienced this on an LSX motor?
Old 08-12-2009, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
They are replacing the thermostat right now. What does everyone's car run at in the heat? Mine never budges above 195. They think that the computer is thinking the car is running too cold and making it run rich. I've seen this happen before, but has anyone experienced this on an LSX motor?
that can happen but ur temp is showing 195f,i dont think by replacing the thermostat will fix ur trouble,tell them to give u some data,like maf g/s,intake air temp,fuel injector m/s,fuel psi and fuel volum,and do the fuel trim going to rich at full throttle or at idle
Old 08-12-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

I'll ask them and see if they can get me that data.

BTW, I haven't forgotten about the dyno. For me the next 3 weekends are out. I might have to go during the middle of the day at lunch or in the evening.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

On the phone with them now. The new thermostat did raise the operating temperature to 205 but the fuel trims are still off. They are checking out the evap cannister and the purge valve right now.

EDIT: I asked if they could print out some data for me but they don't have the paper that goes in the scan tool..doh! I think I need to order HP Tuners here soon.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

they can do a snapshot on the tech2 and down load to the pc on tis2web,there they can print out the data
Old 08-13-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Resident

The evap system checked out, but while I was there to pick up the car, it set a maf code (i dont remember which one) so we all talked about the possibilities and they also mentioned the car is running about 5psi higher than normal fuel pressure. They said the maf might be dirty but said they wouldnt clean it. They are going to order a new fuel pressure regulator...well the whole in-tank setup because you cant just buy an FPR. I'd think the problem would lean more toward the maf since it started setting codes, but they want to do the FPR.

Another buddy thinks its probably an after-maf leak of some sort...whether it be vacuum or intake gasket or something like that.

Either way, its not costing me anything to keep bringing it to them

Quick Reply: Rich codes 172 and 175 and a couple other questions.