Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New tires and now the Stability Control is acting up

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New tires and now the Stability Control is acting up

Since I got a new set of toyo proxxes (cheap I know) I have noticed that the SC has been coming on banking right turns (off ramps). It started on right turns only and is now happening more frequently on left hand turns. Can the system start acting a little haywire sometimes or require adjustments?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Launching!

what size tires did you get? Did you get staggard?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

If you went with different sizes than stock, I've heard that'll send the SC into crazy land.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wes8398
If you went with different sizes than stock, I've heard that'll send the SC into crazy land.
not if the overall diameter of the front is very close to the overall diameter of the back. If the diamater is different than stock it will just mess with the speedo. The SC measures the difference in wheel rotation between front and back. If the diameters are too far different it will read that one wheel is spinning faster than the other. This will be emphasized on turns since the back wheel will spin slightly slower than the front depending on how hard/sharp the turn is.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

if the rears are slightly shorter (as mine are), the traction control kicks in at high speeds and while accellerating hard even though you might not be spinning. Easy fix for me is to just turn off the t/c.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

Stock sizes all around, could a bad alignment cause this. I have a whole other problem with the steering and alignment. THe alignment keeps going out and I can change the steering wheel position by making a hard quick turn. I left a parking lot one night and the wheel was 45 degrees from true, a short hard jerky turn repositioned the steering wheel to about 25 degrees off true. There is also some knocking going on when turning at slow speeds and a bad power steering whine. The whine and knocking get worse the hotter the car gets. The whole front end of the car is Fed up. I am just waiting until I can give it up for what will more than likely be a long time at the shop. I have heard of people waiting 6 months for a new rack.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TriGuy
not if the overall diameter of the front is very close to the overall diameter of the back. If the diamater is different than stock it will just mess with the speedo. The SC measures the difference in wheel rotation between front and back. If the diameters are too far different it will read that one wheel is spinning faster than the other. This will be emphasized on turns since the back wheel will spin slightly slower than the front depending on how hard/sharp the turn is.
That's what I meant to say ... just rushed it. haha
Old 05-13-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Goats
Stock sizes all around, could a bad alignment cause this. I have a whole other problem with the steering and alignment. THe alignment keeps going out and I can change the steering wheel position by making a hard quick turn. I left a parking lot one night and the wheel was 45 degrees from true, a short hard jerky turn repositioned the steering wheel to about 25 degrees off true. There is also some knocking going on when turning at slow speeds and a bad power steering whine. The whine and knocking get worse the hotter the car gets. The whole front end of the car is Fed up. I am just waiting until I can give it up for what will more than likely be a long time at the shop. I have heard of people waiting 6 months for a new rack.
Sounds like you need to get it fixed ASAP. I wouldnt be driving anything where the position of the steering wheel could be changed by agressive turning.

Although i dont know what that would have to do with the stability control?
Old 05-13-2010, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

The alignment done today fixed the inadvertent stability interference. I am not sure how the car got so out of alignment in 3,000 miles driven since the last alignment but it felt much better today, it was really out the tech had hell of a time getting realigned. What could be causing the allignment to get so bad so quick.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

i just did a header and clutch install and now my Stability is kicking in at random times, going straight. tire size is 255/40 but been running that for a long time...

think it's that steering position sensor problemo or what?

Quick Reply: New tires and now the Stability Control is acting up