Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Wheel question - backspacing

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel question - backspacing

I'm shopping for winter wheels and tires right now, and of course I got side tracked and started looking at my options for some nice summer wheels. I've read lots about the lack of options we have for wheels, and I've read the FAQ's info about our bolt pattern and offset. I haven't read much about backspacing though. Can our cars fit wheels with any backspace (to create a deep dish or 'lip')? Also, is there any room for movement with the offset of 42mm? Could we go 40mm?
Old 08-23-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Resident

Can anyone chime in here?? I've searched around but haven't found any answers...
Old 08-24-2010, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i assume by backspacing you mean offset. due to the brakes we have, it's almost impossible to have a lip without going custom.

consider this, my rears have a 3" and fronts have a 2", but that's with a custom setup.

i for one don't know the exact offset numbers because i basically requested as aggressive as possible.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by wes8398
I'm shopping for winter wheels and tires right now, and of course I got side tracked and started looking at my options for some nice summer wheels. I've read lots about the lack of options we have for wheels, and I've read the FAQ's info about our bolt pattern and offset. I haven't read much about backspacing though. Can our cars fit wheels with any backspace (to create a deep dish or 'lip')?
Our wheels have about 6.4" of backspacing, so they fit with plenty of backspace. Based on your question I'm not sure you understand what backspacing is; it has nothing to do with a lip. Offset and backspacing are basically just two different ways of defining the same dimension, specifically how deep the back of the wheel is. So I guess in an indirect manner that will determine how much of a lip you have.

There are plenty of pages that show how all the wheel fitment terms are related. Here's a pretty good one that came up when I searched.

Originally Posted by wes8398
Also, is there any room for movement with the offset of 42mm? Could we go 40mm?
Visualize how big 2mm is. Can you move your wheel out by 2mm? That's all you would accomplish going from the stock +42mm offset to a +40mm offset - you probably wouldn't even notice a difference. In other words, yes, you could easily go to a +40mm offset.

Originally Posted by tony tone
i assume by backspacing you mean offset.
Based on how his question was phrased I don't think he meant either.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys. I have studied a number of those diagrams that explain each wheel measurement, but I didn't realize that offset and backspacing were basically one in the same. Guess I should have studied a bit more.

The only reason why I asked about whether we can do a +/- 2mm offest is because I've seen some wheels that looked like they might fit, but offset was a few mm's off.

Ideally I don't mind zero lip on the front wheels, but I would love to have a 2 or 3 inch dish on the rear wheels. Sounds basically impossible unless I want my wheels and tires to stick out that same amount thought. lol No thanks on that one.

It's really too bad GM had to go and give us these 6x115 hubs ... did they just have a surplus sitting around and needed somewhere to use 'em or what?
Old 08-24-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my rears don't stick out at all with a 3" lip, but they're as flush as can be up against the fender since it tucks.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

my rears don't stick out at all with a 3" lip, but they're as flush as can be up against the fender since it tucks.
You also just said you have a "custom" set up. I'm talking about changing nothing but the wheels and tires.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

other than the full coil-overs, all i changed was the wheels and tires.

you're not going to find many options that can create a "deep dish" look that are universal to our cars considering the 6-lug pattern, and if you're not changing your suspension, well, you may as well put a "Rancho Package" decal under the V emblem because that's exactly what it's going to look like.

good luck.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I thought you've also said in the past that your fenders were rolled and pulled to allow for the low ride height?
Old 08-25-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

in my case, considering how low i wanted it, i had to roll the fenders. not too many people like to tuck down to the rim so i really didn't mention it.

although that's hardly custom, quite minimal and mostly comes with the territory with an aggressive setup, and that sounds like what he's looking for considering the BIG LIP requirements.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

My only suspension plans are eibach or h&r springs (if I can ever get my hands on a pair) for a little bit less fender gap. Then I'd like 19" wheels with a 2 or 3 inch dish in the rear, and a small or no dish in the front. Ideally I'd also like 295 tires out back with 245's up front, but I know that might be an issue without rolling fenders and possibly other work, so I'll settle for 275's out back. I also don't know if I want the added weight of a wider rim, so 295 is pushin' it on an 8.5" wide rim ... will probably stick to a 275.

So tony tone - I'm starting to see where the misunderstanding began. When you said you had a "custom set up", I was inclined to think you meant custom suspension in order to make the wheels work. I'm realizing now that you must have meant your rims themselvse were custom made. Right? Unfortunately, that's far too expensive for me.
Anyway, what are all the measurements on your wheels? What had to be done to achieve the 2 and 3 inch dish that yours have? I read your suspension mods, I mean what was done with the rim itself to give it that dish and still clear your brakes, etc? Any idea what your offset and backspace measurements are?

Last edited by wes8398; 08-25-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i personally don't know much other than the standard sizing (20x9 front, 20x10.5 rear). all the offset measurements and such were done by 360 forged. i basically asked to fit as aggressive as possible and they did the rest.

fwiw, i run a 285 in the rear and it sits very flush. some here have ran 295 and succeeded, but i don't think i can do it because of my ride height.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

i personally don't know much other than the standard sizing (20x9 front, 20x10.5 rear). all the offset measurements and such were done by 360 forged...
If you happen to come across the other numbers, would ya post 'em up please?
Old 08-26-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the only thing missing would be the offset. is that what you're looking for? i can try the owner at 360 to see if he has my measurements off hand... but like i said, it's unlikely you'll find a random universal 1 piece wheel with the same dimensions.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

the only thing missing would be the offset. is that what you're looking for? i can try the owner at 360 to see if he has my measurements off hand... but like i said, it's unlikely you'll find a random universal 1 piece wheel with the same dimensions.
Yes, the backspace/offset is all I'm really interesetd in. If I know those, then I'll know that your numbers work, so I'll know that there's a range from what our OEM measurements are, to what yours are, that will work. That's why I'm asking. Sounds like a pain in the neck for you though, so no worries if you'd rather not do the leg work.

Quick Reply: Wheel question - backspacing