Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Staggered Tires + HR Springs + MM Spacers = Rubbing issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Staggered Tires + HR Springs + MM Spacers = Rubbing issues?

So I want to lower my ride as to eliminate a good bit of the fender gap. My car presently is wearing the following tire sizes on OEM wheels:
  • Front - 245/45R18
  • Rear - 275/40R18

What I'd like to do is install a set of H&R Sport Springs and a set of MightyMousespacers. What I specifically want to know is, will the widened rear stance have enough clearance without rubbing the fender? Do I need to worry about any fender rubbing on the front?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

tough one, good luck though

the front shouldn't rub, the rear you kinda between a rock and a hard place since putting wider tires on. there is tons of room to the inside, not so much to the outside.

heres a pic of mine when it was still on stock height tires.. yours would be balooning about 1/2" past these give or take.

http://fastrides.com/photos/mm/image.../original.aspx
http://fastrides.com/photos/mm/image.../original.aspx

fyi this is lower than what hr will put you at, not sure how much different tho

my vote is get rid of the wider tires, they aren't doing you a bit of good
Old 06-17-2011, 02:14 AM
11 Second Club

Mine rubbed bad. Went back to 245s in the rear.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slight rubbing here, but no MM mod....... fender roller= your friend
Old 06-17-2011, 05:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm running 245/40's up front and 275/35's out back with the H&R's and MM spacers, don't rub to bad, only big bumps.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fender rolling will do wonders for wider tires. I bought mine with rolled fenders and 295's on the rear. No rubbing whatsoever.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
tough one, good luck though

the front shouldn't rub, the rear you kinda between a rock and a hard place since putting wider tires on. there is tons of room to the inside, not so much to the outside.

my vote is get rid of the wider tires, they aren't doing you a bit of good
From a performance perspective I'm sure they're doing either very little or nothing, but it does look cool. I'd hate to toss a perfectly good set of tires (well, two anyway) if I don't have to. If this turns out to be the best option, then I'll wait to lower the car until I need a new set of rubber.

Originally Posted by jj_z28
Mine rubbed bad. Went back to 245s in the rear.
Assuming you had 275's out back, H&R springs, and MM spacers?

Originally Posted by wcryan
slight rubbing here, but no MM mod....... fender roller= your friend
I'm totally down with having the fenders rolled, altho don't really wanna do it myself. I haven't had the best of luck finding a shop in the Denver metro area to do it.

Originally Posted by GhettoTy
I'm running 245/40's up front and 275/35's out back with the H&R's and MM spacers, don't rub to bad, only big bumps.
You make it sound almost tolerable. However, my OCD wouldn't be able to stand any rubbing.

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Fender rolling will do wonders for wider tires. I bought mine with rolled fenders and 295's on the rear. No rubbing whatsoever.
Seems like rolling the fender is the best option here. If you're running 295's, my 275's should tuck nicely. You have any pics of your setup?
Old 06-19-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

I have 2 recent threads that you'd probably like to read (and see pictures). One is 'h&r's lowered rear too much' and the other is titled something to the effect of 'H&R's + Linea corse wheels = rubbing'. Have a look.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My car is in the body shop til the end of the week, but I should have some pictures this weekend. I'll show you the clearances.

I don't think MM spacers have been installed though. It has a slight rake to it, but it looks pretty good.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

i am on H&Rs with MM Spacers, sitting on GM Accessory with 245/45 in front and 275/40 in rear.i had a minor rubbing issues when i frist did th springs and spacer. but this was totally my fault. i over tighten the spacer giving me an extra 1/8" drop on the right rear. fixed that issue, and rolled the fenders, and havent had an issue with it since.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
... and rolled the fenders ...
Do you have the tool, or'd you roll 'em via baseball bat?
Old 06-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
i am on H&Rs with MM Spacers, sitting on GM Accessory with 245/45 in front and 275/40 in rear.i had a minor rubbing issues when i frist did th springs and spacer. but this was totally my fault. i over tighten the spacer giving me an extra 1/8" drop on the right rear. fixed that issue, and rolled the fenders, and havent had an issue with it since.
Do you have any pics of the rolled fenders? How did the paint hold up? Did you pay to have it done or do it yourself?
Old 06-24-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wes8398
Do you have the tool, or'd you roll 'em via baseball bat?
Originally Posted by PrelateBishop
Do you have any pics of the rolled fenders? How did the paint hold up? Did you pay to have it done or do it yourself?
I went redneck with it...since I need the car back up fast since is was my DD at the time...i used at rubber mallet and a terry cloth towel. <- Dead serious too...just hit the fender lip with a the mallet and the cloth was wrapped to the mallet head. took about 20 to 25 minutes for each side.

paint it held up fine, only area that got damaged was the part where the wheel was catching on the lip.

i will take some picture of the lip when i get home.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

WOW, that takes ***** man!! lol Interested to see the pics!
Old 06-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wes8398
WOW, that takes ***** man!! lol Interested to see the pics!

Assuming you got the end result you wanted, kudos!!
Old 07-08-2011, 05:53 AM
TECH Resident

An update incase anyone's watching this for an outcome, or incase anyone comes across it in a search....

After trailing arms and the soon-to-be-known 'edmod' (3/8 rubber homemade 'washer' under rear spring perches to boost up the 'too low' H&R's), everything is awesome! No more 'reverse rake', no more fender rubbing on tires, no more wheels rubbing on trailing arms, and no more crappy feeling cut OEM springs.

I'm still going to roll the fenders, but I'm no longer in any hurry to do so.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since no one has ever seen my car (lol).... i has a staggered, but slammed on coilovers, not HRs

360 forged
F 20x9 245/30/20 Nitto Invo
R 20x10.5 285/25/20 Nitto Invo

yes fenders are aggressively rolled as you can see how flush the rear sits up against the fender.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

That looks amazing Tony. Isn't it you that spent like 6 grand on your setup to make that work though? Not really apples to apples there.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PrelateBishop
I'm totally down with having the fenders rolled, altho don't really wanna do it myself. I haven't had the best of luck finding a shop in the Denver metro area to do it.
Prelate, I had my V's fenders rolled at Jim's Exotic Bodies in Lafayette, CO back when I lived in the Metro Area in 2005-2007. I don't know if they are still open, but you could give them a try. They only charged like $20 per corner.

Also, I would strongly recommend going with the GC Coilover Kit. The H&R springs are what, $250 for the set, for an additional $250 you can have a huge range of adjustability and then you will never have to worry about rubbing. Yeah, the GC makes some noise (you will have to add at least a 1/4" of washers to the top of the rear shocks so that they can be tightened down enough to snug up the rear shock and not allow a thunking sound, but that is a really cheap and minor fix), but any downsides are well worth the adjustability. If you can afford $250 for just springs, you ought to be able to afford $500 total for the entire kit, and you even get to choose your spring rates. (I would go with 600 lb/in front and 650 lb/in rear).

The huge problem with lowering springs only is that if they are too stiff, you are stuck with that spring rate. If they are as soft as stock, you will get almost zero performance increase out of them. If the ride is not right, you are stuck with that too. I would never take that chance, I like to be able to adjust until I'm happy.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

Hell, if we're doubling expenses so easily, then we should all just be spending twice what the GC's are worth and getting 'proper' coilovers like KW's etc. Haha JK
I see where you're coming from, but double the price isn't within everyone's idea of a reasonable price for a given mod. H&R and Eibach have been making lowering springs for a long time, and I think they're pretty decent at giving the best compromise between drivability and performance at a relatively low cost. Since I've compared both, proper lowering springs are leaps and bounds better than cut OEM springs at least.

Quick Reply: Staggered Tires + HR Springs + MM Spacers = Rubbing issues?