Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Anyone have a problem with DSS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a problem with DSS?

I'll give you guys a little background on my story. I had Speed Inc order me axles and an aluminum drive shaft from DSS at the end of April. The parts didn't arrive until mid June. I get my car back and there was a nasty vibration. Their reps story is their balancing machine is down. HUH?! Why would you send it out then? They must have it nice there because they were out for the week of the fourth and I had to wait for their vacation to be over so the shaft could be sent back. Now I get a call from Speed and they aren't answering their calls so I decide to call the rep that answered told me to call Speed and I told him that I told Speed I was going to call myself and if he couldn't help me to let me speak to someone that could. His response...that guys out to lunch......it's 4 pm their time. Doesn't sound like you'd be too busy if your equipment is not operating. So why the late lunch??? Anyways I know they post up on here and I am almost certain someone will read this. SEND ME MY MONEY BACK! Thanks...for wasting everybody's time.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

leaving user names out.. a friend of mine has his DSS aluminum shaft sitting against the wall in his garage because of the vibration... good luck!
Old 07-24-2014, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Did u PM them? They posted in that other DS thread here just this afternoon.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

No I called and emailed them directly.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to make excuses for anybody, but I read a bunch of no-response stories about another vendor here and experienced the same, but found a pm to get a response within the hour for some reason. The notification may float to the top since most companies know that pissing off a forum is not good business.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by isis
Not to make excuses for anybody, but I read a bunch of no-response stories about another vendor here and experienced the same, but found a pm to get a response within the hour for some reason. The notification may float to the top since most companies know that pissing off a forum is not good business.

The key to a good business is having a good team. I know this because I owned several businesses. The absolute worst thing you can do to ruin a business is when you aren't there to guide your team. I'm guessing, but I think the boss is probably not around as much as he should be. I just don't see a place that has a good product and a good reputation sending garbage out. No biggie I'm sure the boss is going to be "restructuring" very soon. Being stupid is the quickest way to the unemployment line. I wouldn't want to be that guy if one of those shafts snaps and an insurance company determines their product caused a fatality that they ended up paying for. Whoever dropped the ball should be disciplined accordingly.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just curious, have you called them today?
Old 07-28-2014, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1247
Just curious, have you called them today?
We spoke through email. They had an issue and resolved it. I can't complain too much because I had similar issues in the past so I understand. I spoke to someone I let them know my concerns and they gave me a satisfactory response. Time to move on now.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

What was the problem with your driveshaft?
Old 07-28-2014, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

What was the problem with your driveshaft?
It vibrated at 79+ MPH that's the only thing that I know. Whoever I spoke to said they never had an issue and they were surprised I did. They stand behind their product and I am sure they will take care of you if you have an issue. I wouldn't be too worried if I was you. Plus the place I went to use their products everyday. I'm the lucky one that got the one that had an issue. They responded in the proper way as far as I'm concerned. All the vendors I delt with on this site do. Reputation is everything.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:14 PM
Launching!

My carbon fiber driveshaft is vibrating at 80mph+. Will call them tomorrow and see if they will take care of it. They also installed the wrong outer shaft on one of my axles. They did take care of that by overnighting the correct part.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2007V
My carbon fiber driveshaft is vibrating at 80mph+. Will call them tomorrow and see if they will take care of it. They also installed the wrong outer shaft on one of my axles. They did take care of that by overnighting the correct part.
Really interested in what they have to say....my guess is all DSS is going to tell you is to take the shaft out and send it back for a rebalance. What else can they do???

Before taking it out, it makes sense to check the runouts on the shaft front and rear. These guys found .002" of runout on the pinion shaft coupler of their Mustang...that isn't much at all. It took 10 grams of weight to balance the driveline out....If this worked it would be a lot easier than taking the shaft out, sending it off for a rebalance and then reinstalling it. Might get lucky.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/parts...reduction-kit/

Please keep us posted.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i ordered an aluminum drive shaft about two weeks ago and i have a query out about how they are constructing it. apparently they can either use a single CV on front, or have it on both ends, but it's not specified whether they do it all the time one way or randomly decide to do it on some versus others.

i'm hoping i can get them to use a dual CV setup and not having to pay more for it.

edit: i'm being told that it's a dual CV unit. here's to hoping it's all that i paid for!

Last edited by Bio248; 07-31-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

I called DSS last week and was told that they changed all the 1 piece shafts to dual CVs because of shifter clearance issues. When I ordered my cf 1 piece, I specifically asked if it were going to be a dual CV shaft and whoever took my order had to look it up but said it would be.

The driveline problems we're having with these cars is insane. It's hard to believe that all of this revolves just around the driveshaft. I bought a dial indicator the other day and as soon as i get my new shaft installed, I'll be checking the runouts on it fo sho...
Old 07-31-2014, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm hoping it's as easy as install and go. if it ends up vibrating i'm not going to be happy.

being forced into a stock modified drive shaft is not what i wanted to do in the end.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:06 PM
Launching!

So I'm on my second carbon driveshaft from DSS and I'm still fighting the vibration. It's actually worse with the new shaft. I'm playing around with adding weights according to the runout but haven't had any luck yet.

Anybody had success getting rid of the vibrations?
Old 11-18-2014, 06:52 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My one piece carbon fiber DSS driveshaft in my 8.8 kit vibrates like crazy also. I hate that thing and want to throw it through their front window. I gave up and got a driveshaft from voodoochikin04 with a poly center bearing. I LOVE IT! No vibrations up to 165 mph.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:58 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I called DSS last week and was told that they changed all the 1 piece shafts to dual CVs because of shifter clearance issues. When I ordered my cf 1 piece, I specifically asked if it were going to be a dual CV shaft and whoever took my order had to look it up but said it would be.

The driveline problems we're having with these cars is insane. It's hard to believe that all of this revolves just around the driveshaft. I bought a dial indicator the other day and as soon as i get my new shaft installed, I'll be checking the runouts on it fo sho...

There weren't any clearance issues with the shifter.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
My one piece carbon fiber DSS driveshaft in my 8.8 kit vibrates like crazy also. I hate that thing and want to throw it through their front window. I gave up and got a driveshaft from voodoochikin04 with a poly center bearing. I LOVE IT! No vibrations up to 165 mph.
Great I just sold my 2 stock driveshafts. Did you try balancing the CF shaft at all?
Old 11-18-2014, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

The problem isn't the driveshaft its a lack of a flex disc from what I can tell. My car hums, it doesn't vibrate from something that isn't balanced IMHO. I'd feel comfortable in saying you can take anything that is coming out of DSS's shop, take it to another qualified driveshaft vendor and it would be acceptably balanced...could be wrong but after seeing their facility, I doubt it.

DSS doesn't redesign drivetrains, they sell driveshafts and mine is very nice. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean it's going to play nice with everything else in the car but I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet. The drivetrain in my car lives in a polyurethane concrete hell and therefore, it has no way to dissipate harmonics caused by rotating assemblies that don't like each other harmonically. The fact I have yet to hear of any credible reports of any successful polyurethane flex disc installs on the V1 reinforces this in my mind. Also, I drive a lot and I swear my car is the happiest when it rains....

I saw this doing alignment work. You just couldn't put a Uniroyal Tiger Paw A/S on certain GM intermediates because it would just beat them into submission with the most bizarre, unexplainable wear patterns you have ever seen. Re-balance tires, readjust wheel bearings, realign, replace shocks or struts...no matter what you did, these tires were not harmonically compatible with the car. Put a different brand or tread design of tire on the car, you'd never see it again.

That's what I feel is going on with the DSS shafts but again I'm not ready to write off for 2 reasons.

1, I'm stuck with it. Voodoo wasn't set up to do business and my shaft was bad...what do you do...

2, parasitic driveline losses in this car are horrific as seen on the dyno and a 2 piece driveshaft with a rubber flex disc isn't helping. A 1 piece is, from a common sense standpoint, a simpler, more efficient way to go. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean it's going to work perfectly.

I'm in the process of softening up the mounts on the car and we'll see where this take us because mine isn't that bad, just annoying. However, if softening the motor and trans mounts doesn't work, I'll send Voodoo my stocker and put it back in the car flex disc and all.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a problem with DSS?