Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

PCM-VATS relearn

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default PCM-VATS relearn

As I'm going back stock from a maggie/cam/headers combo, I figured it would be easier to find a stock V1 PCM, install it and do the VATS relearn procedure outlined in the link below instead of going to the trouble of sending the tuned PCM out for a reflash.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...procedure.html

When I first started on the procedure, it would take 8 to 10 minutes for the security light to go off but after the 3rd leg of the procedure the light goes off within a few seconds of turning the key on when all the other dinging and donging stops...this is how it works on my stock 05 so I figure the PCM has relearned but the car still won't start with that PCM in it. I installerd the tuned PCM from the maggie build that I know the car recognizes and it fired right up...

I checked all the grounds blah blah blah and all that was good. Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner, hand held or any other device to see what the car is thinking.

What am I missing here.

Thanks in advance!

PS..the car has a Kennwood 890 in it instead of the stock NAV unit so I don't have the DIC functions....
Old 10-17-2015, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

From what I can tell the V1 has the passlock system using a BCM. Not super sure about this so if anyone has any opinions on this, please chime in!
Old 10-18-2015, 12:47 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

*sigh*

Is the vin number on the new pcm the same as the one of your car?
Old 10-18-2015, 06:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Naf
*sigh*

Is the vin number on the new pcm the same as the one of your car?
*sigh* VIN is an acronym for vehicle identification number. So when you say VIN number you're saying Vehicle identification number number.

And yeah, minus that, what he said. The other question would be the injectors, are they stock?
Old 10-18-2015, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

I'll check it today but I'll assume that since the PCM came from another vehicle, the VINs won't match.

Stock manifolds, fuel rail, injectors, cam, exhaust...all of it stock.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:34 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Go to a tuner and let them dump a stock tune into it with the original pcm, cheaper and faster
Old 10-18-2015, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The dealer can vin match it. Or anywhere that does pcm flashing like a bigger mechanics shop. I thought I had said that when I sold you that computer? If not, im sorry.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Naf
Go to a tuner and let them dump a stock tune into it with the original pcm, cheaper and faster
not really...sounds like a day off work and a 50 mile drive each way.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by voodoochikin04
The dealer can vin match it. Or anywhere that does pcm flashing like a bigger mechanics shop. I thought I had said that when I sold you that computer? If not, im sorry.
Not your fault, I don't remember you saying it but I didn't ask either. Researching this kinda gives you the impression that you can swap PCMs from car to car with a VATS relearn but I guess I'm learning different. From what I can tell, if I had a hand held I could just turn the VATS off but then the security light stays on and I don't want that. They also make a VATS bypass module I believe...

There's a dealer close by, I'll see what they can do for me
Old 10-18-2015, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

When I bought the mail order tune which came on a different computer..the tuner needed my vin to program it to my car. Otherwise you get the same issue youre having.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

When I bought the mail order tune which came on a different computer..the tuner needed my vin to program it to my car. Otherwise you get the same issue youre having.
Live an learn....The only seemingly definite info I found on this (after searching the forums) was on ebay....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CTS-V-2004-E...FWG-UA&vxp=mtr

That's what I get for trying to save a few bucks!!!
Old 10-21-2015, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Searching all the easily accessed and known people/shops around me yielded nobody that gave me a warm fuzzy feeling about easily pulling the VIN swap off. One guy wanted the car with the computer in it which meant towing, the service writer at the dealer seemed totally clueless and everyone just flat out said they couldn't do it. I wound up buying one from the ebay supplier above and will have it delivered to my door for $99. Seems reasonable for the amount of effort it required out of me...
Old 10-21-2015, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1247
Searching all the easily accessed and known people/shops around me yielded nobody that gave me a warm fuzzy feeling about easily pulling the VIN swap off. One guy wanted the car with the computer in it which meant towing, the service writer at the dealer seemed totally clueless and everyone just flat out said they couldn't do it. I wound up buying one from the ebay supplier above and will have it delivered to my door for $99. Seems reasonable for the amount of effort it required out of me...
It should have been as easy as having the dealer flash your computer... With the matching vin of course.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

It should have been as easy as having the dealer flash your computer... With the matching vin of course.
Dealing with a clueless service writer and waiting around while he figures it out and the being charged maybe an hours labor for it wasn't worth the few bucks I might have saved.

Quick Reply: PCM-VATS relearn