Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Cost to port and polish LS1 Heads???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cost to port and polish LS1 Heads???

How much will it cost to port and polish a pair of LS1 heads?
Old 04-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Depends where you go to.

Are you looking to keep local?

I know Texas-Speed/PRC charges $600 to fully CNC port heads.

Ill vouch and say that the stg. 1 LS6 heads i got on my 6.0L are truely impressive for the costs.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 91ZLS6
Depends where you go to.

Are you looking to keep local?

I know Texas-Speed/PRC charges $600 to fully CNC port heads.

Ill vouch and say that the stg. 1 LS6 heads i got on my 6.0L are truely impressive for the costs.
Yes, I'm looking to have it done locally.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Be aware that the LS1 heads are not easy to improve on, and are far more easier to hinder than help when porting, even for a fellow who can make good gains on most other heads. They are a bit of a different beast. You may want to search the forums under "home porting" to give you an idea.

Those who are successful doing port work on their LS1-style heads (and not all are) don't make nearly the numbers the specialty shops do (think about the R&D and dyno time that goes into a CNC porting program). I also like the idea of a CNC port being repeatable and proven (you know what you're going to get).

To make sure you are making significant gains with someone with unproven LS1 experience, you should dyno before/after or at least have them flowed before and after. With the costs of the dyno or flowing the heads, I'd think it's much more cost effective to just go with a proven head, IMHO. Especially if you do all the labour of removing your current heads, new bolts or studs, new gaskets, etc. You don't want to paying for a porter (even a good one) to learn LS1 stuff.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pm sent...
Old 04-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LETZRIDE
Pm sent...
PM sent.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by EdmontonSS
Be aware that the LS1 heads are not easy to improve on, and are far more easier to hinder than help when porting, even for a fellow who can make good gains on most other heads. They are a bit of a different beast. You may want to search the forums under "home porting" to give you an idea.

Those who are successful doing port work on their LS1-style heads (and not all are) don't make nearly the numbers the specialty shops do (think about the R&D and dyno time that goes into a CNC porting program). I also like the idea of a CNC port being repeatable and proven (you know what you're going to get).

To make sure you are making significant gains with someone with unproven LS1 experience, you should dyno before/after or at least have them flowed before and after. With the costs of the dyno or flowing the heads, I'd think it's much more cost effective to just go with a proven head, IMHO. Especially if you do all the labour of removing your current heads, new bolts or studs, new gaskets, etc. You don't want to paying for a porter (even a good one) to learn LS1 stuff.
This guy knows ^^

I was looking into the "port heads myself" deal. Not a good idea, like EdmontonSS stated, its VERY easy to hinder flow. LS1 heads are far from "Hogging" the ports out like with gen 1 heads.

I bought a used set of 5.3L heads a while back with a minor bowl blend performed on them, however the ports werent touched. Simply smoothed the transition from the bowl to the valve seat.

May i ask why your trying to stick to a local deal? Turn around time?

Im all for supporting canadian buying (i work in the canadian performance industry) but im not aware of any local porters who have any proven gains with porting LS1 heads. Tis the reason i went for the TSP's.

Just my $.02
Old 04-05-2009, 05:37 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Just buy a new set man. I like the Patriot LS6 style. Cant beat the performance vs buck on their heads plus they make the best spring on the market IMO. Patriot Golds ROCK

Quick Reply: Cost to port and polish LS1 Heads???