Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

MAP timing table with MSD 6010

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 02:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAP timing table with MSD 6010

I've been experimenting with my car with just the rev table. A friend just bought a car with a stock 5.3 with a GM hot cam in it. He didn't get the programming software with it, so I told him I'd do it for him.

Problem is his car has a MAP sensor on it and I don't have a clue what to do.

Help lol
Old 07-10-2012, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

I asked same thing and
Originally Posted by Doug G
Sooo.... the numbers on the left in the vertical line are degrees added and the numbers across the top on the horizonal are vacuum inches ?
Posted by S10xGN
NO! You are correct on the vertical axis. The horz is not vacuum as we call it, but pressure (Pounds per Square Inch, Absolute). PSIA starts at 0# PSIA = 29.8" vacuum and goes to 14.7# PSIA = 0" vacuum. There are numerous conversion charts on the 'net...
Old 07-10-2012, 05:15 PM
9 Second Club

Well that's confusing lol
Old 07-10-2012, 05:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

O = atmospheric pressure

As vacuum goes up....PSIA goes down.
So your max vacuum advance will be on the left and at WOT vacuum is at or near O....your advance will be lowest going towards the right (as it was explained to me).

Last edited by Doug G; 07-10-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:36 PM
9 Second Club

Ok, I'll check it out, thanks
Old 07-10-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by streetknight2
Well that's confusing lol
Agreed! Really, how hard would have been to change the units to show vacuum? Or at least give users the option to pick between PSIA, KPA, and vacuum by toggling a button in the software...
Old 07-10-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Agreed! Really, how hard would have been to change the units to show vacuum? Or at least give users the option to pick between PSIA, KPA, and vacuum by toggling a button in the software...
It would take 2 MAP sensors to do that accurately, one to measure manifold pressure and a second to measure atmospheric pressure.

Vacuum is the pressure difference between two areas. The lower the pressure in the manifold, the stronger the vacuum. Not that hard.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
It would take 2 MAP sensors to do that accurately, one to measure manifold pressure and a second to measure atmospheric pressure.

Vacuum is the pressure difference between two areas. The lower the pressure in the manifold, the stronger the vacuum. Not that hard.
Errr, I don't think so. The MAP signal is just a 0-5v signal that's being interpreted by the software. That's any MAP from a 1 BAR on up, they're all 0-5v output. The software only tells the user what "units" correspond to the voltage it sees...
Old 07-11-2012, 07:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Errr, I don't think so. The MAP signal is just a 0-5v signal that's being interpreted by the software. That's any MAP from a 1 BAR on up, they're all 0-5v output. The software only tells the user what "units" correspond to the voltage it sees...
Unfortunately it is more than just a units thing. A vacuum gauge has manifold pressure on one side and atmospheric pressure on the other. It measures the pressure difference between the two.

MAP measures manifold absolute pressure, hence the acronym. Put a constant pressure inside the manifold and the MAP sensor will output a constant voltage. Change the outside barometric pressure and the MAP signal will not change, however the vacuum gauge reading will. So if you use 2 MAP sensors and take the difference you can accurately measure vacuum.

And yes, absolute barometric pressure can vary quite a bit with changes in temperature and altitude.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Unfortunately it is more than just a units thing. A vacuum gauge has manifold pressure on one side and atmospheric pressure on the other. It measures the pressure difference between the two.

MAP measures manifold absolute pressure, hence the acronym. Put a constant pressure inside the manifold and the MAP sensor will output a constant voltage. Change the outside barometric pressure and the MAP signal will not change, however the vacuum gauge reading will. So if you use 2 MAP sensors and take the difference you can accurately measure vacuum.

And yes, absolute barometric pressure can vary quite a bit with changes in temperature and altitude.
All I can do here is "agree to disagree"...

Quick Reply: MAP timing table with MSD 6010