Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

LQ4 Information Pleaes

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 07:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LQ4 Information Pleaes

My dad is an old school racer/hot rodder and is in the process of turning his 67 Nova from a strip only car, to a street/strip car. He has decided to ditch the old SBC and move to a LQ4 setup with a carb.

Right now I am helping him do some research since there is so much info out there on the internet.

He already has the long block motor that has upgraded rod bolts and was re-ringed for boost. He will be going NA with a mild build in mind for good street use.

Here are some of the issues and questions he has, any help would put a smile on his face:

What would be a good cam for a street and some strip application (nothing radical needed)?

What kind of lifters should he look for? Will the stock ones be sufficient for his application?

The motor has 317 heads on it, can these be milled down for more compression and street use? He does not want to fly cut pistons or anything crazy.

If the 317 heads are not going to be the best, what would be good LS1 heads to use? He has done some research and read that the 243 heads will work.

Can he run his old power glide with this type of setup on the street. He is not sure how well the LSX and power glide will play with each other on the street.

After he gets the project a little closer to done I will post some pics. The car has been painted sunset metallic, upgraded to full disc brakes, church boys front end, and tons of other stuff.

Thank you all in advance for your help, he will really appreciate it.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:20 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Cam wise, there are a ton of options. I run the Trex, it is big and runs great, power starts at 3000 and then explodes to 7200, it is on a 110 LSA. You sound like you want something smaller, so I need to know what converter size. The main focus is the LSA, the carbs love the tighter LSA and that is something to look for and you also need to let me know if the radical street strip idle is a want, sounds like it but the mention of "nothing radical needed" is opposite of street strip unless radical to you is race, HUGE duration, then we are on the same page.

I run my stock lifters in every motor, 7200 all day. The rockers on the other hand, there is a trunion upgrade for about 100$ that will ensure the rockers do not puke the needle bearings. I have not used them but will on my next build.

I have stock 317 heads and they are milled .030. Nothing else. My car has gone 7.0 in the 1/8 at 97, all motor with a manual Trans lifting the front tires all motor. The 243 heads are the same. It a smaller combustion chamber. I can run 87 octane actually. With 243 I could not but would gain TQ.

The old team can be run, no problem. Just need a extension so the converter snout still has support. I have not run one but have a slight vibration in my 5.3 that is suspect from not doing so.

It will be a blast for sure. Let me know about the converter size.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:48 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Cam wise, there are a ton of options. I run the Trex, it is big and runs great, power starts at 3000 and then explodes to 7200, it is on a 110 LSA. You sound like you want something smaller, so I need to know what converter size. The main focus is the LSA, the carbs love the tighter LSA and that is something to look for and you also need to let me know if the radical street strip idle is a want, sounds like it but the mention of "nothing radical needed" is opposite of street strip unless radical to you is race, HUGE duration, then we are on the same page.

I run my stock lifters in every motor, 7200 all day. The rockers on the other hand, there is a trunion upgrade for about 100$ that will ensure the rockers do not puke the needle bearings. I have not used them but will on my next build.

I have stock 317 heads and they are milled .030. Nothing else. My car has gone 7.0 in the 1/8 at 97, all motor with a manual Trans lifting the front tires all motor. The 243 heads are the same. It a smaller combustion chamber. I can run 87 octane actually. With 243 I could not but would gain TQ.

The old team can be run, no problem. Just need a extension so the converter snout still has support. I have not run one but have a slight vibration in my 5.3 that is suspect from not doing so.

97mph..
Old 07-04-2012, 03:10 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Yep, don't know how good a pic I got from the video a while back

Old 07-05-2012, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

Great info! I will have to check on the converter size, not sure what he is going with yet.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:43 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Well keep up informed!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:14 AM
12 Second Club

I talked with dad and he is looking to run anything from a 2800 all the way up to a 3500 stall. He wanted to keep that open based on what cam he went with.

I tried to talk with some reps at the Goodguys show in columbus, but they acted like they had never heard of this motor. I was told that he should just go with a custom grind cam and they really did not have a sugestion where to start. Very frustrating to say the least...
Old 07-09-2012, 10:29 AM
In-Zane Moderator

The edelbrock cam in the 220s on duration sounds like a good choice with a 3500 converter.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

The edelbrock cam in the 220s on duration sounds like a good choice with a 3500 converter.
Thanks! I don't know if he will be going that big with the stall, maybe closer to 3.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:46 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Should still be ok, will just lie a 3500 a bit more.