Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

What fuel pump should i switch to, with video

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 04:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What fuel pump should i switch to, with video

So when I plumbed the fuel system in my car I skimped on my fuel pump. Im running a 90gph summit brand pump, it works great and its all I currently need but its horrendously loud, it almost drowns out my exhaust. Between getting the car ready for more motor in the future and trying to make it less obnoxious I need a new pump.

What are you guys running, does anyone have experience with the new holleys?

CLick the picture for video.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Say NO to Carter

I can tell you to NOT EVER use the Carter fuel pumps. I was looking to save a few bucks and it has been the biggest mistake of my project and is the embarrassing bane of my swap. It sounds like a mini-Bridgeport mill running in my trunk! ….NNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...... ..6000 miles and its never "broken in" and quieted down. Also it is supposed to have a built in regulator, but my little gauge is always bouncing 5-12 settling at 7 for a moment then bouncing again. Almost like the pump regulates pressure in little “spurts” instead of constant flow.

My advice would be spend a few bucks on a high quality pump, preferably in-tank so it is quieter and lasts longer. And also invest in a quality bypass in-line regulator.

Good Luck!
Old 10-01-2014, 12:38 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I have yet to find a pump that's quiet that is a external pump. Insulation between the mounting points and skin deadener are the main solution. A in tank TBI pump with a bypass is quiet as hell and makes about 15 PSI. That's what's in my s10 and is factory quiet.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cruisin'73
I can tell you to NOT EVER use the Carter fuel pumps. I was looking to save a few bucks and it has been the biggest mistake of my project and is the embarrassing bane of my swap. It sounds like a mini-Bridgeport mill running in my trunk! ….NNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...... ..6000 miles and its never "broken in" and quieted down. Also it is supposed to have a built in regulator, but my little gauge is always bouncing 5-12 settling at 7 for a moment then bouncing again. Almost like the pump regulates pressure in little “spurts” instead of constant flow.

My advice would be spend a few bucks on a high quality pump, preferably in-tank so it is quieter and lasts longer. And also invest in a quality bypass in-line regulator.

Good Luck!
oh believe me, im in the same boat. It doesn't bother me THAT much because I have always had race cars that it didn't matter so im sort of used to it. But in a street car you get some funny looks from people.

I have read good things about the edelbrock quiet flo pumps but I havn't spoken to anyone with one.

The holley hp series are really nice but again, havn't talked to anyone. I did just find this video though.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Holley hp150. It's very quiet. You must have the car off to tell if it's running. I like it. I did have one leak, but they covered it under warranty.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:44 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow. That HP150 "sounds" like a winner.

I can tell you that my Aeromotive SS pump is not quiet.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:07 AM
10 Second Club

My magnafuel QuickStar 300 is a noisy, rattling son of a gun as well. Eric L
Old 10-04-2014, 01:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Aeromotive SS

Not too bad, maybe due to how mounted....but when I get low on fuel (cell-no gauge) and it starts getting air....I know I'm low

Quick Reply: What fuel pump should i switch to, with video