Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Advise for my 38k miles z28 6spd car

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise for my 38k miles z28 6spd car

Hello, I'm looking for some advise on which direction to do in with my . I have a 98 black z28 6sp with leather and 38k original miles. Its my dream car and its in almost perfect condition. Im having trouble deciding whether or not to keep it 100% stock like it is, play with it, or sell it and get a higher mileage car to play with. If I do keep it, Id like to put on a magnaflow exhaust, maybe machined c5 replicas, and maybe tints too. Also is it possible to lower just the front a little without screwing anything up? It seems like the front sits to high.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

If all you want to do are bolt-ons (exhaust, wheels and basic suspension stuff are classic examples), then why not just go ahead and do it? All of those things can be easily reversed if you ever wanted a 100% stock car again.

FWIW, my '98 is a 17k mile show car and I still went ahead and did some basic bolt-ons (catback, air lid, bolt-on SFCs, SS wheels, etc.) The car could be put back to assembly line stock in short order, but I'm not sure why I would ever want to as these changes have no downside and have made the car much more fun to drive. It still qualifies for "stock" class at just about any show, if that's your concern. If you aren't competing with it, then really there is no downside at all to basic modifications.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you got a good one. Make it the way you want and enjoy it. Nothing wrong with some basic bolt-ons to enhance the appearance and performance. A good sounding exhaust and a 6 speed makes for a very fun ride! And post some pics!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Z28 6spd
Sounds like you got a good one. Make it the way you want and enjoy it. Nothing wrong with some basic bolt-ons to enhance the appearance and performance. A good sounding exhaust and a 6 speed makes for a very fun ride! And post some pics!
This^^ plus id probably beef up the trans a little as good measure. Nothing drastic but just a little.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

I wouldn't sell it that's just me. That sounds like a great car. I would Kill to have such low miles. Ever think of getting another car for cheap ? Just to abuse a little like a 6 speed z28 for 5000?
Old 09-03-2014, 03:07 PM
Teching In

keep it, leave it stock, and buy another one to play with. then you have 2!

I have a 2002 Camaro SS with 19k. Bone stock, except the DEI modules for opening windows with factory remote, and auto-up/down. I enjoy it for what it is, and have no desire to change anything on it.

I recently picked up a 2002 Camaro Convertible V6 (79k miles) to drive every day to work, after several tries at other daily drivers over the past several years (sold my 96 V6 camaro, got a Grand prix, then 2010 Camaro, then G8 GT) -- i just got bored with them, ended up back in a 4th Gen.

or, hey, its your car, if you want to mess with mods, and aren't worried about resale value or the "collectibility" issue, then no worries. And, bolt-ons can always be undone!
Old 09-03-2014, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its yours, do what you want and enjoy it!
My car has just over 3000 miles on it, I added a lid, WS6 store short stick, magnaflow catback, Strano and BMR lowering springs, Bilstein SLP struts, UMI bolt on subframe connectors and a great looking set of Forgestar wheels. Like RPM W6 said, all these mods are 100% reversible (I have all my original parts) and actually make the car perform better than stock. Its a lot more fun to throw into a curve now, that is for sure!
Old 09-03-2014, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

thanks guys, I think I will leave it stock for the rest of this season. I have thought about another car and there is a ws6 6 spd local here for sale with 150k miles and i could get it cheap. the problem is my wife is pregnant with our first child and I also have a big block c10 project in the garage i have been working on for years so If I even bring up a 3rd car Im pretty sure I wouldnt even be able to make this reply lol. I have thought about selling it for max price and buying another and having money to play with. but its hard to let this one go
Old 09-03-2014, 08:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Your ability to have time to mess with a project is fixing to be few and far between from my personal experience in your shoes. If it was mine I would keep it to simple bolt ons and just enjoy the car as is. Your time and finances are going to be at a max and a minimum for a while.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I wish I could find a low mileage 6speed. I'd do a lid, catback, and put good shocks/tires on it and leave it alone and enjoy the hell out of it.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

Whats your reasoning for leaving it stock? Bolt-ons are easy and wont hurt your car. If you can afford to have two then that would probably be your best option since you have a lower mileage, unmolested car.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

just because its untouched and its kinda cool to see one as they came. but thats boring at the same time. two cars is out of the question
Old 09-07-2014, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

I did the same thing a few years ago, I bought an 02 z28 hardtop, it was perfect!
I gout a hell if a deal on the car, it had 45k on it. I daily drive it for a few months but then sold the car before modding it.

A few weeks ago I picked up an 01 Z28, A4, b4c.

I plan on doing a lot to this one, it's a very clean car but has a little over 100k miles.

The miles don't bother me, I just feel more comfortable build this one because it has a few more miles on it. Lol

Quick Reply: Advise for my 38k miles z28 6spd car