Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Why does my car feel like it's floating up top??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Why does my car feel like it's floating up top??

yea want to stop my 2002 camaro ss..from floating.....the rear end...gets pretty bad at high speeds. what can i do...i dont want a wing on it to make it look gay...so idk...help me

Example..The other night I was at a party and this loser pulls up on a gsxr600 talking all kinds of noise. He swears that the bike will pull the ss up top. I was insanely drunk so I asked my friend josh to drive the ss for me. josh is an experienced viper driver so I was threw him the keys and was like GO!

We went to an empty road thats like 4 miles straight. The race was from a dig. josh launched the ***** out of the car and pulled the bike until around 80-85. after that he said the bike passed him but at around 110-115 the camaro started pullin on the bike and passed the bike between 135-145. good race, but josh said the car was like a fish at really high speeds, especially at 145.

Help me stop this so I can womp on more bikes!

p.s. Camaro is a 2002 SS, stock, auto, with really cool center exhaust!
Old 08-20-2008, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Check your lower control arms.

my $.02
Old 08-20-2008, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Dude, seriously . . . your askin for a closed casket. I'd be more concerned with bottom end to mid, where you have more potential against bikes.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Uh at 145 I wouldn't expect great handling. I know the floating feeling and its scary.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Your car is on stock shocks, that would be the problem.
The following users liked this post:
ZFRacing818 (09-09-2022)
Old 08-20-2008, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

beating a gsxr in a stock camaro. you sure you wernt racing a ninja 250?
Old 08-21-2008, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

First of all you are an idiot for racing a GSxR at all whether rolling or from a dig. Secondly you and your driver are idiots for driving that fast. Thirdly I highy doubt your car was pulling this bike unless he wasn't really getting into it.

you-----> <-------me

The only remotely positive thing is you didn't drive and were smart enough to give him the keys.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

My car still feels stable at those speeds. I had it to around 160 once and I didn't really feel anything to worry about. The only mods back there are LCAs and Bilsteins.

BTW, I only go to those speeds(above 140) on nice straight roads with zero traffic ahead.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

my intake + tune C5 Z06 got pulled by a 600 at about 90-100. So yeah...... a stock SS(especially an auto) will NEVER pull a bike at 110. Unless the biker doesnt know how to drive and if so racing him is a bad idea. (BTW I've raced my bros. bolt on 01 M6 SS and pulled him from 35-100+)
Old 08-21-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Back on topic....Lowering springs, good shocks, LCA's and a panhard rod should make it more stable.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Teching In

beleive me I was just as surprised as you all are. I really didn't expect to beat the bike. The bike was a 2000 and the driver was like 6 foot 9 if that really makes any difference. But I swear that the race was legit. I would pay 100 bucks to go back and catch the race on tape.

The road we race on is actually 6 miles long and zero traffic. only one way in and out.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by waldershrek
First of all you are an idiot for racing a GSxR at all whether rolling or from a dig. Secondly you and your driver are idiots for driving that fast. Thirdly I highy doubt your car was pulling this bike unless he wasn't really getting into it.

you-----> <-------me

The only remotely positive thing is you didn't drive and were smart enough to give him the keys.
I guess we're all stupid for driving fast cars then, huh?

good deal on not driving drunk man! A buddy of mine has a salvaged Z which is still an awesome car. His suspension wasn't up to par though. He told me he found out his panhard bar had been cut in half and welded back together. At even 70 his car had that fishy feeling you were talking about and yes it is scary. I say buy an adjustable panhard bar and that may make it all better. I bet it will at least help a lot of the swaying in a straight line.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Default yea

Originally Posted by 99NMB
beating a gsxr in a stock camaro. you sure you wernt racing a ninja 250?
dude if u dont believe me...dont worry im going to make a video
Old 08-21-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 7camaro7
I guess we're all stupid for driving fast cars then, huh?

good deal on not driving drunk man! A buddy of mine has a salvaged Z which is still an awesome car. His suspension wasn't up to par though. He told me he found out his panhard bar had been cut in half and welded back together. At even 70 his car had that fishy feeling you were talking about and yes it is scary. I say buy an adjustable panhard bar and that may make it all better. I bet it will at least help a lot of the swaying in a straight line.
Assuming his panhard bar is not cut and welded, and in fine working condition he will notice little to no difference, and absolutely no difference in "floaty-ness".
I have an adjustable panhard bar and the only difference it made was centering my rear end, I cannot tell a difference while driving.
Shocks on the other hand are the problem here.
When a car feels floaty, disconnected, twitchy, etc. it most likely is shocks that cannot damper your springs, which is a absolute fact when it comes to the stock decarbon shocks on our cars. After installing Konis on an otherwise stock suspension it was a whole new car, glued to the road like you wouldn't believe.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The floaty feeling comes from a combination of the shocks and sway bars. The sway bars have more of an impact on curves while the shocks will do the I'm floating on a cloud at high speeds. This winter I switched over to Bilstein shocks (still stock height, 315 rear tires). To say I "feel" the car is an understatement. The floaty feeling is gone. It's on rails up to 160 then aero scares the **** out of you after those speeds.

Mind you I've done the major stuff now, LCA, Torque arm, panhard, sway, LCA relocation, torque arm relocation, and sway bars. Only torque arm and torque arm relocation were done after shocks, but the shocks gave it that solid feel.

DeCarbons are JUNK.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

O wow i definately know that feeling and it is definately scary. I start to feel it at about 130. Of course its not like i get my car up that fast every day, (I've only done it twice, and have had the car for a couple of months), but I would like to start to upgrade the handling just for those select moments when i do.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are really two main possibilities. One is the air
under the car, a stock "4x4" F-body will have a lot
more of that. Lower is better aside from traction and
scraping. The other is alignment, the tendency to
follow road features and so on. Little twitchy at low
speeds can turn to big twitchy at high speed. Stiff
sidewalls (high tire pressure) is good to cut squirm,
too.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:32 PM

My car does not float @ 155+, I would replace the rear shocks first.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Regular

Me and my buddy both ran 10.7's on slightly geared down 600's. My R6 and his Gixxer 600. If your stock car runs 10's stock then props to you. The guy obviously did not know how to ride a bike at all. But as for your question, upgrade your shocks and you will definately see a huge improvement up top. I personally would be more concerned about making it better in the 1/4 than up top because up top is completely homosexual. I cannot stand it when EVERY SINGLE PERSON in my town that asks me about my car asks, "Damn, how fast can this thing go???" I just want to be like who gives a flying $hit!!!!!!!!! Yeah it will do 170 but that does not matter at ALL. The only important thing is what it does at the track. That's how you measure what a fast car is, not top speed. So I always reply that it does not matter one bit and then proceed to explain 1/4 mile times to them!!

Quick Reply: Why does my car feel like it's floating up top??