Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Msd ignition box

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Msd ignition box

Hello all new to the site I've got a ? about the diff in the msd box 6010 and the Edelbrock's version.I've read on here that the 6010 you can use a lap top to tune and the other you can't.But in a mag I just got it reads that you can use a lap top on the Edelbrock version if you remove the pills and you can download the software form the msd website.Does anyone know if this is correct?Thanks
Old 12-06-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by slowc4
Hello all new to the site I've got a ? about the diff in the msd box 6010 and the Edelbrock's version.I've read on here that the 6010 you can use a lap top to tune and the other you can't.But in a mag I just got it reads that you can use a lap top on the Edelbrock version if you remove the pills and you can download the software form the msd website.Does anyone know if this is correct?Thanks
Not unless they've made recent changes...

Russ
Old 12-06-2008, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

It's on page 61-65 in Feb 09 Car Craft.

Quoted from the pages.

"There is another approach if you wish to create your own timing curve. If you remove the chip, the box will default to a custom programmable version that uses MSD's pro-data+ software, which is available as a free download from msdignition.com. Than all you need is a laptop and a 9 pin cable to connect your laptop to the MSD box. This allows you to create your own ignition timing curve based on what your engine wants."

Sounds doable...........
Old 12-06-2008, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

Found this on MSD's site. Seems you can control the box either with the pills, or with MSD's programmer or your PC with their software.

I'm probably stating the already known, but here it is.

6010 PDF
Old 12-06-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure the software only works on the MSD 6010(non Edelbrock version). The Edelbrock doesn't even have the data port on it does it? I don't know I've never seen one in person.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:55 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by team39763
I'm pretty sure the software only works on the MSD 6010(non Edelbrock version). The Edelbrock doesn't even have the data port on it does it? I don't know I've never seen one in person.
the edelbrock does have a port on the side.
i have an old edeljunk box lying around. i might hook it up to power and see if anything comes of it.
i doubt it.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah the edelbrock box does have a serial port but is untuneable. I've never heard of anyone being able to tune it. Why take the chance? The 6010 definately works.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I remember some talk of a guy making different pills for custom timing curves. I can't remember what came of it though. Maybe you should see what MSD says about it. If I can find my pills for my MSD box, you can have them if you want to try them. I think the MSD curves are supposed to be better than the ones that came from Edelbrock. I don't know if they'll work in your box or not though.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys for the comments.I will call Edelbrock tomorrow and get a definite answer And post back for all those who are interested.The mag is carcraft that said it is possible. We will see Thanks again
Old 12-08-2008, 09:20 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

i read that in carcraft. maybe on the NEW edelbrock boxes, or maybe it was a typo.
id call MSD and edelbrock both.
when i had my edel box, they didnt know jack about it. told me to call msd.
then msd tells me they sell it under a licencing agreement with edelbrock and they cant tell me anything?
circle jerk.....
Old 12-08-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ
i read that in carcraft. maybe on the NEW edelbrock boxes, or maybe it was a typo.
id call MSD and edelbrock both.
when i had my edel box, they didnt know jack about it. told me to call msd.
then msd tells me they sell it under a licencing agreement with edelbrock and they cant tell me anything?
circle jerk.....
I remember calling Edelbrock maybe 8 times about this, finally got someone there who actually admitted their box was NOT programmable. As far as reading stuff in mags... they can be as wrong as any other media. Their info is only as good as their source.

Russ
Old 12-09-2008, 04:18 AM
TECH Regular

as above, i had the edelbrock box and the serial port altho connected up internally does not work with the software (tried it myself) . msd tech forum guy also confirmed the same. dont waste your money go straight to the 6010 box and software. the edelbrock timing pills are all too much advanced as they tend to all run between 32-36deg advance even pill no1 hits that. mine had detonation using those pills on UK fuel (95 octane) and when i used my own map on the 6010 the maximum timing it would take is 30deg safely.

Quick Reply: Msd ignition box