Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0l VVT LY6 conversion to carb

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 6.0l VVT LY6 conversion to carb

does anyone have any experience with changing to a non-VVT cam with carb and intake set-up.
we have a 2008 LY6 with no miles on it that we want to install in a 1969 Camaro.
would like to keep the "old school" look with a modern engine.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:34 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by oldschool 69
does anyone have any experience with changing to a non-VVT cam with carb and intake set-up.
we have a 2008 LY6 with no miles on it that we want to install in a 1969 Camaro.
You will have to swap the camshaft and front cover if you choose to go that route. Then you will need a front distributor kit (which puts it in the front like a Small Block Ford) or an MSD LS Series ignition controller to run it as well.

Alot of guys want that look while still having the driveability of drive-by-wire, VVT, and EFI. That is why we are releasing the kit below...it allows you to run a traditional round air cleaner type setup without sacrificing driveability. We are releasing these in January of 2009.

Hope this helps!!!
Old 12-08-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

He couldnt run an MSD 6012 with a 58x reluctor wheel? I really have no idea i just want to know for my own knowdlege.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MastMotorsports
You will have to swap the camshaft and front cover if you choose to go that route. Then you will need a front distributor kit (which puts it in the front like a Small Block Ford) or an MSD LS Series ignition controller to run it as well.

Alot of guys want that look while still having the driveability of drive-by-wire, VVT, and EFI. That is why we are releasing the kit below...it allows you to run a traditional round air cleaner type setup without sacrificing driveability. We are releasing these in January of 2009.

Hope this helps!!!
That is NICE!
Old 12-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Shaun, I have been waiting for a setup like that. It really looks sweet. How much cfm is the throttle body designed to flow? Jim.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why does he have to go to a distributor?

The carb with the 6012 box is definitely the old school look.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my carb setup
Attached Thumbnails 6.0l VVT LY6 conversion to carb-newestegine.jpg  
Old 12-09-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

Wow Mast that setup looks nice. Any idea on how it will be priced?
Old 01-09-2009, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

ohh man that looks very nice how much for that set up. pm me
Old 02-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MastMotorsports

Hope this helps!!!
Any idea on pricing or when this kit will be avalible? Also what size tb is that?
Old 02-18-2009, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you should be able to RUN the MSD box for a 58x wheel ... and get out cheap and easy with a CARB.

The MAST SYSTEM is nice... but I am sure it will be North of $2GRAND
Old 02-18-2009, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

what intake is that on the set up vic jr or super some like that and the cost.. to keep the drive by wire set on the intake ,What kind of horse power sorry about the I like to know too thanks
Old 02-18-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We've seen this setup in a couple of different threads over the last few weeks, but as yet, haven't seen much solid information. Several have asked for pricing info, and I myself asked about the ignition system, and I'll ask again here. Shaun, since you mentioned the front mount distributor set up, and it's NOT shown in the picture,.....what exactly does your setup use???
Old 02-23-2009, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by oldschool 69
I just got off the phone with Livernois Motorsports to talk about carbing my 6.2 and you have to change just about everything.Cam,lifters,put timing chain on it ,change timing cover.he didn't say anything about the oil pump but i think you have to change that to,along with a few other things but i forgot already and it's only been 10 minutesso i would say maybe buying all this parts off a used 6.0 or buy there complete kit with comes with everything you need...........i've been looking for this info for a few day's now kind of bumbed out that i have to spend more money but i did get a good deal on the motor 07 escalade 6.2 with 9,000 miles for 900.00 bucks and i want to run carb so it is what it is i guess
Old 02-24-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Junkie

why not just get a LS3 and use L92 heads along with the MSD box? Seems alot simpler then having to change all that other stuff.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:00 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by rojs234
We've seen this setup in a couple of different threads over the last few weeks, but as yet, haven't seen much solid information. Several have asked for pricing info, and I myself asked about the ignition system, and I'll ask again here. Shaun, since you mentioned the front mount distributor set up, and it's NOT shown in the picture,.....what exactly does your setup use???
This setup uses our M-90 EFI system, therefore uses stock GM smart coils. This way you get the improved driveability if drive by wire with the look of a carb. style intake. Since you are still using EFI, you can even keep the VVT function in place.

My mentioning of the front distributor setup was simply pointing out another option...sorry for the confusion.

Hope this helps!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:08 PM
Launching!

You dont have to change the lifters or oil pump if you have a LY6.....this motor has VVT , but dosn't have DOD (displacement on demand) like the 6.2 mentioned above. DOD motors are easy to identify, they have a different lifter valley pan cover. LY6 motors just have VVT, no DOD. The easy way out to run a carb is a simple camshaft, timing gear and front cover swap (LS2 style front cover with corrosponding Cam sensor). Then, just run the MSD ignition module, or the Edelbrock (also a MSD box) ignition and intake kit. If the ignition modules aren't available for 58x cranks and 4x cam sensors yet (which I dont think they are)....you can just run the Lingenfelter 24x-58x conversion box, which sells for around $250. Not much trouble....you'd probably be dropping a performance cam in there anyways, so the only added expense over a GenIII 6.0 is the cam gear, LS2 front cover, and the Lingenfelter conversion box.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by LQ9CHEVELLE
You dont have to change the lifters or oil pump if you have a LY6.....this motor has VVT , but dosn't have DOD (displacement on demand) like the 6.2 mentioned above. DOD motors are easy to identify, they have a different lifter valley pan cover. LY6 motors just have VVT, no DOD. The easy way out to run a carb is a simple camshaft, timing gear and front cover swap (LS2 style front cover with corrosponding Cam sensor). Then, just run the MSD ignition module, or the Edelbrock (also a MSD box) ignition and intake kit. If the ignition modules aren't available for 58x cranks and 4x cam sensors yet (which I dont think they are)....you can just run the Lingenfelter 24x-58x conversion box, which sells for around $250. Not much trouble....you'd probably be dropping a performance cam in there anyways, so the only added expense over a GenIII 6.0 is the cam gear, LS2 front cover, and the Lingenfelter conversion box.
my 6.2 came out of a 07 escalde i dont think they started dod the the escalde until 08 .....this motor has been a roller coaster ride tryinh to figure out what i have to do to run a carb......your 100 percent sure you dont have to change the lifters it would be great if i didn't
Old 02-27-2009, 12:02 AM
Launching!

Yes, if it is not a DOD motor, you can leave the lifters alone. Easiest way to tell...is look at the lifter valley cover (under the intake manifold). If it is competely flat like a LS2....you don't have DOD. If it is "webbed" or stepped looking with indentations, you have a DOD motor. I have a LY6 (6.0 with L92 heads) that came out of a 2007 2500HD (new body style). It is a gen IV 6.0, has the VVT, but no DOD. Just swapped the cam yesterday, ditched the VVT and converted to a LS2 front cover and timing gear. I know a couple people that have done this conversion, no problems. Lifters are identical to Gen III motors (4.8-6.0)
Old 02-27-2009, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by LQ9CHEVELLE
Yes, if it is not a DOD motor, you can leave the lifters alone. Easiest way to tell...is look at the lifter valley cover (under the intake manifold). If it is competely flat like a LS2....you don't have DOD. If it is "webbed" or stepped looking with indentations, you have a DOD motor. I have a LY6 (6.0 with L92 heads) that came out of a 2007 2500HD (new body style). It is a gen IV 6.0, has the VVT, but no DOD. Just swapped the cam yesterday, ditched the VVT and converted to a LS2 front cover and timing gear. I know a couple people that have done this conversion, no problems. Lifters are identical to Gen III motors (4.8-6.0)
Cool man thanks for the info now i dont have to pull the heads

Quick Reply: 6.0l VVT LY6 conversion to carb