Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers for '66 Chevelle w/ GTO LS2/T56

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 12:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers for '66 Chevelle w/ GTO LS2/T56

Has anyone had any experience with headers for this engine and trans combo in an early A-body? I have a set of Edelbrocks but they don't fit. I believe there must be something different with the starter position on this combo as the passenger side hits the starter and bellhousing. I've been trying to work it out with Edelbrock since before Christmas and we've come to the conclusion that I need to try a different manufacturer.

So...anyone had any experience with headers from another manufacturer on this particular setup?

Corey
Old 03-04-2009, 05:25 AM
Staging Lane

Do you have pics on the clearance issues with the edelbrock headers?
I was planning on using them is a 67 A-body with T56...

I guess it really doesn't matter if its hitting the bell housing but...
What engine mounts are you using?
What frame mounts?

Would a mini starter help clear the headers?
MSD mini starter for LS motors...

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 03-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Here's some pics of the issues.

First picture is of the header hitting the starter.

You can see with the stock starter the first thing to hit is the electrode.

Second picture is from the back side. Notice how much space is between the header and bellhousing as opposed to the next picture. This indicates how much interference the starter itself has with the header.

Last picture is of the header hitting the bellhousing without the starter installed.

All of these pictures are taken with the engine and transmission out of the car hanging from a cherry picker so there is nothing else causing interference. As a side note, I now have the MSD starter shown above and while the header no longer hits the electrode, it does hit the starter body and there is still the same amount of intereference as a stock starter.

Corey
Old 03-04-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

That is really odd and I can't really explain it for you. Perhaps you have some headers that are out of spec?
Old 03-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pist0lpete
That is really odd and I can't really explain it for you. Perhaps you have some headers that are out of spec?
That's what I was wondering at first, and apparently the first one was slightly. Edelbrock checked it on their jig and said it was slightly off so they sent me a new one. They checked it before sending it, but it fit the same on my engine. The last pic is the newest header.

So...Does anyone have experience with this motor and trans with a different set of headers?

Corey
Old 03-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JpRngr
... As a side note, I now have the MSD starter shown above and while the header no longer hits the electrode, it does hit the starter body and there is still the same amount of intereference as a stock starter. Corey
Corey, I assume by the statement above that the MSD starter does fit the app? Reason I ask is I discovered early on that the 05-06 GTO T56 is a unique animal (LS1 starters wont fit - and reportedly a Vette starter won't either) and before this I had been told that only the OEM starter would fit. I spoke with Powermaster and they would not gaurantee a fit. So its good to know there is an alternative to the OEM starter now. -Bob
Old 03-04-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Well if it wasn't for you saying it still hits the starter I would say clearance the bellhousing and be done with it. How bad is it hitting the smaller starter?
Old 03-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Teching In

With the MSD starter installed, and the header hitting the main section of the starter, it makes the gap at the bellhousing the same as the stock starter. I wouldn't necessarily call the MSD starter smaller, either. The only benefit to the MSD is the fact you can clock the solenoid away from the header.

Bob, I was told by the seller of the MSD(bought off e-bay) that it would fit the GTO engines. It bolts up, but how well it engages the flywheel, I don't know. Gotta wait a while until I get the car together.

Corey
Old 03-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Teching In

BBPanel, do you have any more info on the differences on the '05-06 GTO LS2/T56 combo? Something I can send Edelbrock to show them it's not just me, but in fact the combination?

Corey
Old 03-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Teching In

thats odd, the edelbrock headers on my 70 work great with my trans am ls1/t56
Attached Thumbnails Headers for '66 Chevelle w/ GTO LS2/T56-100_0840.jpg  
Old 03-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Corey,
I didint see where you stated that you were running a GTO T56. Maybe I missed it...
What is the engine out of?
What is the T56 out of?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JpRngr
BBPanel, do you have any more info on the differences on the '05-06 GTO LS2/T56 combo? Something I can send Edelbrock to show them it's not just me, but in fact the combination?
Corey
Sorry, not much. I don't have both bellhousings to compare but something is obviously different because the nose of the LS1 starter won't fit into the GTO bellhousing. I could bolt the LS1 starter to the block but then I couldn't get the bell mounted - The LS1/T56 combo on the 04's will accept the LS1 starter but when they went to the LS2 in 05-06 is when the problem began. And I don't think the block changed because like I said the LS1 starter would bolt up but the bell wouldn't slide on - so the bell is a different shape.

I often wondered if I could have used a LS1 bell on the GTO trans to get around the starter issue (cause the starter is expensive unless you find one used). I'm a little surprised they don't recognize there can be differences like this. Wish I could be more help - if they ever make headers for the early X-Body I may still be hesitant to try them because of this issue. -Bob
Old 03-04-2009, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MCMLXIX
Corey,
I didint see where you stated that you were running a GTO T56. Maybe I missed it...
What is the engine out of?
What is the T56 out of?
It's in the thread title. So that everyone's perfectly clear, I have a LS2 and T56 out of an '05 GTO. Both are basically stock and have never been seperated from each other.

Originally Posted by BBPanel
Sorry, not much. I don't have both bellhousings to compare but something is obviously different because the nose of the LS1 starter won't fit into the GTO bellhousing. I could bolt the LS1 starter to the block but then I couldn't get the bell mounted - The LS1/T56 combo on the 04's will accept the LS1 starter but when they went to the LS2 in 05-06 is when the problem began. And I don't think the block changed because like I said the LS1 starter would bolt up but the bell wouldn't slide on - so the bell is a different shape.

I often wondered if I could have used a LS1 bell on the GTO trans to get around the starter issue (cause the starter is expensive unless you find one used). I'm a little surprised they don't recognize there can be differences like this. Wish I could be more help - if they ever make headers for the early X-Body I may still be hesitant to try them because of this issue. -Bob
Bob,
I would also be curious on if a LS1 T56 would make any difference. Only thing that makes me wonder about the block being different is the fact that the header hits the aftermarket starter. Has anyone used one of these starters on a LS1 with these headers and had it fit? Just curious.

Corey

Quick Reply: Headers for '66 Chevelle w/ GTO LS2/T56