Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What A/C compressor on LSX376 in new PHR page 29?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What A/C compressor on LSX376 in new PHR page 29?

I noticed in the new (May '09) issue of PHR, there's an article on page 29 about the new LSX 376 crate engine. That's interesting enough, but I'm specifically interested in the A/C compressor they show mounted on it. Can anyone identify it (is it from a certain GM application?)? Most importantly, is there any chance that this compressor with side inlets/exits could be used with F-body front accessories?

I'm just wondering if this compressor could be of use to folks like me who have limited clearance behind the A/C compressor. If this compressor would work with F-body accessories, I might be able to avoid notching the crossmember on my Chevelle for the A/C lines.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey just went over your whole thread , coming nice ! I'm not sure if you have seen the compressor brackets i fabbed up , but i think it may be an option for you , f body spacing is different than "y" body or vette but if you want i can send you a set of templates and you can change the spacing to work for your application . JOHN
Old 03-23-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try looking at the truck applications. They have a side port instead of a rear port. I saw this on another thread pic and was interested myself. I ended up with an adapter that puts it out the side.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by john 67
Hey just went over your whole thread , coming nice ! I'm not sure if you have seen the compressor brackets i fabbed up , but i think it may be an option for you , f body spacing is different than "y" body or vette but if you want i can send you a set of templates and you can change the spacing to work for your application . JOHN
John, thanks -- I've been watching your thread as well, and I've studied your brackets a bit. What are the templates -- something you could email or physical templates? I'll send you a PM with my email address.

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
Try looking at the truck applications. They have a side port instead of a rear port. I saw this on another thread pic and was interested myself. I ended up with an adapter that puts it out the side.
69 Ghost -- I haven't studied the truck compressors, but that's a good thought. I've wondered if there's any possibility of swapping brackets or compressor housings around between different compressors to make one compressor work in a different application.

It seems like I remember hearing at one time that S&P offered a "hybrid" compressor that used an F-body front half with a Vette rear-half, to get the outlets on the side rather than the rear. Are you guys familiar with that setup?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did not see the article but here is a link to an adapter to put it on the side of the compressor which is what I used for my vintage air/variable compressor combo:

http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/ac/...dapters-79.php
Old 03-24-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't see the article but it sounds like that motor has the GM Performance parts front accessory drive kit on it which is basically the CTS-V front drive. I am not sure if the spacing is the same as the F-Body but the components seem to be in the same position. You can get the whole front accessory drive for about $800 with all new components. You might also try a GTO compressor, that should be the same position, not sure on where the outlets are though.

Here is what I was referrig to GM part# 19155066

It has the side exit compressor.

Last edited by sierrac3_s2000; 03-24-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sierrac3_s2000
I didn't see the article but it sounds like that motor has the GM Performance parts front accessory drive kit on it which is basically the CTS-V front drive. I am not sure if the spacing is the same as the F-Body but the components seem to be in the same position. You can get the whole front accessory drive for about $800 with all new components. You might also try a GTO compressor, that should be the same position, not sure on where the outlets are though.

Here is what I was referrig to GM part# 19155066

It has the side exit compressor.

Good info, thanks! Now the question is, would the compressor pulley from GM p/n 19155066 line up with other F-body accessories? You mentioned the GTO compressor -- I think they may be side exit also, but I have the same question -- would the pulley line up with F-body accessories?
Old 03-24-2009, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

I just ran across this on Kwik Performance's website regarding their brackets to mount Sanden compressors on LSx engines -- they have three different bracket designs: "Corvette, Camaro/Firebird/GTO, and truck/SUV". I'm thinking that if they're mounting the same compressor with the same brackets on a Camaro/Firebird/GTO, then the pulley position must be the same for these vehicles. Hmmm. Anybody have a scrap GTO compressor laying around??? I'd love to do some trial fitting.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I have read on the forum and elsewhere the GTO accessory drive is the same brackets and same offset. I think they may have changed the power steering pump reservoir and put a larger amperage alternator but the brackets should all be the same. I think the GTO compressor is the way to go for your application.

BTW I found the above part number for under $800. That isn't a bad way to go if you are starting with nothing.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my costs .. 180$ for the compressor. 70$ each for the idlers, 40$ for the dom tubing and steel , and i think around 40$ for the belt. JOHN

Quick Reply: What A/C compressor on LSX376 in new PHR page 29?