Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 C3 Vette guys!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 C3 Vette guys!

I'm finally paying off my 2000 SS Camaro and want to start saving up for a 68-72 Corvette. I love my LS1 and would like to put in a LS1 with a T56 in when I get one. I'm just curious about how hard it was to do it and what had to be done to get everything to work. Did you have to cut the trans tunnel up to get the shifter in the right spot or anything? any info/stories would be great. thanks.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

im am currently in progress of doing one. only thing is mines a 4l60e trans. but yes you'd have to do some cutting and stuff. Your best bet is to look at
Corvetteforum.com and go in the the c3 section theres a buncha treads on them.
good luck when you get yours going
Old 05-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Ya I've been searching the forums alot. I think when I do it I'm going to go with the Edelbrock performer RPM carb set up. I researched it and it would make the whole swap alot simpler.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:13 AM
Teching In

I put an LS1 / T56 combo in my 79 C3 a few years back. My C3 was original TH350 auto, so I also removed pedal assy and got clutch pedal assy). I pounded the tunnel a bit and did cut for the shifter. It is a 'bit' of work (include replacing many parts in the 30 to 40 year old C3 unless it had been recently gone through) but worth the effort IMHO. I kept mine electronic fuel injected and got HP Tuners to tweak it, a few folks on CF have gone with carb setups. I live in Calif and had to get it smogged as a 1999 vette by the ref station.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Teching In

Do you have any pics of where you had to cut for the shifter? and does the shifter fit in the original position nicely?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Couldn't find any pics of just the hole I cut in the tunnel - it was pretty big, I riveted/bonded in an alum plate to recover a lot of the hole before covering it up while still allowing dropping tranny.

Here are a few pics though - a couple with the aluminum plate console I put in (expect to redo it in the future) and a couple while putting in reflectix over homemade lizardskin for heat/insulation. I didn't put an offset on the shifter (stock f-body cut down) - which one would want if they retained the stock console for the shifter to come up in the right place. I don't have any problems with shifter location as is.

The shifter is in first, needed the hole pretty wide to accomodate 5th/6th and reverse.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Default 79 Corvette

I've got a '79 that currently has an old school small block and a Tremec TKO 5 speed. I'm also considering an LS1 swap with the Edelbrock intake and a Demon 650 that I just bought new a few months back.
I think I have the trans figured out... GMPP makes a spacer for the flywheel/flexplate and a stepped bushing to move the flywheel mounting surface back 0.400" (the LS1 crank is shorter by this amount) and I believe I should be able to use my existing flywheel and clutch, I also run a hydraulic throw out brg that should work. According to all I've read I should be able to use the old bellhousing as well.
My biggest question is accessory drives for the front of the motor... the upper a-arms are close to the motor and it seems power steering pump and ac compressor mounting may be a problem??
Old 05-05-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I've got an LQ9 with a GM Richmond 6 speed in my 68 vette.
I mated the GM 168 tooth bell housing "621 style" with no problems. The 153 wont work.
You dont ned to move the flywheel back. How would the starter engage if you did that? You just need The adapter pilot bushing. Either the stepped or the LS7 pilot bushing. I used the LS7.
Your SBC flywheel wont work. Just get a complete LS1,2,6, or 7 setup.
You can get your manual clutch to work or go hydraulic. I used the manual Z bar linkage.
Originally Posted by DaveC3R
I've got a '79 that currently has an old school small block and a Tremec TKO 5 speed. I'm also considering an LS1 swap with the Edelbrock intake and a Demon 650 that I just bought new a few months back.
I think I have the trans figured out... GMPP makes a spacer for the flywheel/flexplate and a stepped bushing to move the flywheel mounting surface back 0.400" (the LS1 crank is shorter by this amount) and I believe I should be able to use my existing flywheel and clutch, I also run a hydraulic throw out brg that should work. According to all I've read I should be able to use the old bellhousing as well.
My biggest question is accessory drives for the front of the motor... the upper a-arms are close to the motor and it seems power steering pump and ac compressor mounting may be a problem??
Old 05-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Teching In

anyone able to get the shifter in the stock position so you can use the old console? I know Keisler makes a whole kit to do it, but that probably costs something ridiculous and they don't sell the adapter unless you buy the whole kit, at least I think.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Teching In

I'm stockpiling parts for the swap in my 71. I'm also going to be running the edelbrock carb setup, but am running a 200-4r. I spend alot of time on corvetteforum.com and you'll get a lot of help there. speedhound.com has the parts you'll need for the swap, mounts, waterneck, and headers. I'm using a stock F-body pan and front accessories which seems to be the easiest and popular setup for the c3 swap.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Teching In

if you are going to do a conversion read corvette forum. it's long but has a lot of information for you. as far as the motor mounts go, use these mounts for using a t-56 http://carshop.carshopinc.com/produc...458/C/S%202372 and you don't have to move your shifter location. supposely. hope this helps.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1slowta
if you are going to do a conversion read corvette forum. it's long but has a lot of information for you. as far as the motor mounts go, use these mounts for using a t-56 http://carshop.carshopinc.com/produc...458/C/S%202372 and you don't have to move your shifter location. supposely. hope this helps.
How can those plates make up for the offset of the shifter? isn't the shifter to the left of the tranny? and on T56's they're in the middle?
Old 05-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Teching In

go to this web address http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...directory.html there is a couple of guys that have swap the t-56 and they posted there email address. they would be able to help you out more. i got a killer deal on a auto so i went that route on mine.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Teching In

sorry to bring up an old thread but i had to compliment martinsw on his interior, it looks sweet! my project is still in progress but hey i expect to have it done before summer's over
Old 06-02-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmarchuk
sorry to bring up an old thread but i had to compliment martinsw on his interior, it looks sweet! my project is still in progress but hey i expect to have it done before summer's over
X2 on the compliment, that guys custom console looked like pure sex! I wonder if......
Old 06-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Teching In

mrmarchuk and deuce4935,

Wow - suprised seeing this thread come up again after over a year (and I still have not turned the alum console panels as I have been planning).

Thanks for the kind words on my car - a labor of love, have done nearly all of the work myself - mostly in the driveway. The alum speedo and gauges consoles were easy to make, and deuce - NO I DO NOT HAVE SEX with my car .... ...kissing is another story though (LOL)!

I am definately enjoying driving the C3 LS1/T56 - use it to commute to work about once a week (90 mile rt). Got many good inputs from folks on this forum, and the vette forums when doing the conversion, would have been lots more difficult without the resources.

mrmarchuk - I/ve checked out your web site and have viewed your conversion posts in the other forums - kudos to you,your car is looking real fine, get it back on the road before summers end and enjoy. I notice you have a link to Josh's new vette business, and that you have AC on your C3 - I got the first R4 AC bracket running with him the other year, and having the AC work again makes driving the C3 in san diego alot more enjoyable. And congrats on the upcoming son, I am sure you will enjoy doing things to the vette in the future with him (these projects are never done)!
Old 06-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by martinsw

mrmarchuk - I/ve checked out your web site and have viewed your conversion posts in the other forums - kudos to you,your car is looking real fine, get it back on the road before summers end and enjoy. I notice you have a link to Josh's new vette business, and that you have AC on your C3 - I got the first R4 AC bracket running with him the other year, and having the AC work again makes driving the C3 in san diego alot more enjoyable. And congrats on the upcoming son, I am sure you will enjoy doing things to the vette in the future with him (these projects are never done)!
thanks yeah if you ever decide to get rid of that center console aluminum, let me know (shifter plate and the gauge cluster) i will be redoing mine since i plan on making the 01 fbody gauge cluster work on it, it might be alot of work but it will be different and will save me a ton of money instead of having to buy autometer gauges, plus that will leave the center cluster area empty so i can put in a dvd or navi i pulled all the harnesses and stuff that i'd need off that SS camaro that i pulled the engine off of so i have everything i need to get it done except fuel lines and the harnesses need to be modded (which will require alot of thinking before cutting anything apart lol)

and thanks again the swap started late last winter and thats why i dont have it finished yet but time to step on it im leaving on a 2 week trip on tuesday and when i come back, i plan on putting myself on a schedule to finish the car
Old 06-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Hey martinsw, I remember your swap from when I first joined CF back in july '07. I loved your swap because you were able to keep it legal in CA.

I do have a question: what thickness of aluminum did you use for your console plate? I'm going the same route. Thanks and glad to hear you're still enjoying the vette
Old 06-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by greg75vette
Hey martinsw, I remember your swap from when I first joined CF back in july '07. I loved your swap because you were able to keep it legal in CA.

I do have a question: what thickness of aluminum did you use for your console plate? I'm going the same route. Thanks and glad to hear you're still enjoying the vette
Hi Greg,

I used 0.090 al plate (~ 3/32") for the console plates. I used sandpaper to give it the brushed look, and sprayed on a clear coat to reduce scratching. The clear coat was cheap rattle can and it still scratched some. Someday I plan to use some ~3/4" dowel and give them the jeweled (turned) look.

Smogging the conversion in CA was challanging, now the smog stations just hook me up and test like it is a 2000 corvette. Have retested twice since getting the ref station to approve it, passed with flying colors both times. Kind of a hassle as I put on the air injection pump stuff before testing, then remove it after to ensure I pass the visual (isn't even wired up, just looks like it),
Steve
Old 06-05-2010, 04:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by martinsw
Hi Greg,

I used 0.090 al plate (~ 3/32") for the console plates. I used sandpaper to give it the brushed look, and sprayed on a clear coat to reduce scratching. The clear coat was cheap rattle can and it still scratched some. Someday I plan to use some ~3/4" dowel and give them the jeweled (turned) look.

Smogging the conversion in CA was challanging, now the smog stations just hook me up and test like it is a 2000 corvette. Have retested twice since getting the ref station to approve it, passed with flying colors both times. Kind of a hassle as I put on the air injection pump stuff before testing, then remove it after to ensure I pass the visual (isn't even wired up, just looks like it),
Steve
ah.. Cali.. here in portland, i went to register the vette, (old sb350) i failed. the guy at the meter told me what stuff i could put in the fuel to make it burn cleaner to pass it ^^

i ended up switching to an ls1 instead. alot more power/more efficient

and thanks for the measurements.. i might have to look into that or at least keep it in mind when redoing my center console

Quick Reply: LS1 C3 Vette guys!