Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette LS2 Pan with 6L90

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette LS2 Pan with 6L90

I mated an LS2 with the Corvette pan to a 6L90E tranny but the tranny drops below the pan. It fits but it bothers me to have the tranny open to mud since it is a 4WD. Is there any solution, perhaps some kind of backing plate for the tranny or do I just need to find a deeper pan?

Thanks,
Whit
Attached Thumbnails Corvette LS2 Pan with 6L90-truck-pan-005-2.jpg  
Old 06-09-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it too much, but looks like it hangs below the frame, you might add a removable skid plate though. If your going on rocks I would for sure add a plate.

If you swapped to a deeper pan it would just get hit as well.

Got a side shot?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

5.3 oil pan would be deeper so it might fit a little better.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try swapping trans pans. The 6l80 G8 pan is shorter. It has to be modded to fit the longer 6l90. Check this out post #64. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...does-go-4.html

Might see if the 09 Caddy CTS-V 6l90 pan is shorter as well. Its about the only other pan that is a direct bolt on.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Whickman
I mated an LS2 with the Corvette pan to a 6L90E tranny but the tranny drops below the pan. It fits but it bothers me to have the tranny open to mud since it is a 4WD. Is there any solution, perhaps some kind of backing plate for the tranny or do I just need to find a deeper pan?

Thanks,
Whit
Are you talking about the gap at the bottom of the Transmission bell housing? I'm gonna make a plate out of sheet metal to cover it, to keep rocks and mud out..
Old 06-09-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 55ChevDelray
Are you talking about the gap at the bottom of the Transmission bell housing? I'm gonna make a plate out of sheet metal to cover it, to keep rocks and mud out..
Brian look at the link I posted.

I don't think you'll have a problem in a tri-five though. If using an LH8 pan

EDIT: I am retarded I just seen it in the pictures!!! Lol.
The gap at the bottom? That just need a flat piece of sheetmetal to fill the gap.

Last edited by Bo185; 06-09-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Teching In

I may have caused some confusion, I'm talking about the oil pan on the engine. The corvette pan is about 5" deep and leaves a gap because the tranny housing sits lower. I could make something to cover it but I'm affraid it would come out cheesy unless I make a plate to cover the entire back of the tranny, too much work. The easiest solution would be to use a truck oil pan but that extra 3-1/2 inches starts coming close to the front axle. The CTS-V oil pan may be the compromise. Anyone got a Caddy pan they want to swap for a Corvette pan?

Last edited by Whickman; 06-10-2009 at 02:28 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Whickman
I may have caused some confusion, I'm talking about the oil pan on the engine. The corvette pan is about 5" deep and leaves a gap because the tranny housing sits lower. I could make something to cover it but I'm affraid it would come out cheesy unless I make a plate to cover the entire back of the tranny, too much work. The easiest solution would be to use a truck oil pan but that extra 3-1/2 inches starts coming close to the front axle. The CTS-V oil pan may be the compromise. Anyone got a Caddy pan they want to swap for a Corvette pan?
Yeah I was aliitle confused.

But just make a thin piece of metal and slide it in between the bottom to trans to pan bolts to cover the gap.

If you swap pans you have to change the pan, pickup and maybe windage tray and dipstick. That's expensive! The truck pan would add an extra qt. of oil though.

Quick Reply: Corvette LS2 Pan with 6L90