Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

77 Nova with 5.3 (motor in, and running)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 77 Nova with 5.3 (motor in, and running)

Here are some pics of my 77 Nova that we just put my 5.3 into. Just got it running last night, here are some pics. 5.3 is stock short block with ported factory heads, and Lunati cam, Vic Jr., and 750 Quick Fuel. 486 hp, 425 ft lbs on motor, 615 hp, 570 ft lbs on 125 shot of spray.
Attached Thumbnails 77 Nova with 5.3 (motor in, and running)-394.jpg   77 Nova with 5.3 (motor in, and running)-395.jpg   77 Nova with 5.3 (motor in, and running)-401.jpg   77 Nova with 5.3 (motor in, and running)-397.jpg   77 Nova with 5.3 (motor in, and running)-400.jpg  

Old 09-20-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks good so far... My buddy is considering the same swap on a '75... What headers, oil pan and motor mounts are you running?
Old 09-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you did your research. I have the same short block with the single 4 in my 55 Belair. No cam or heads but I've been in the market. I'd love to talk more about it. I'm not a racer but just want a badass sounding, fun to drive car. I appreciate the hard work you guys do and I dont want to impose but my schedule and the time I have to enjoy the car and my kids is limited. I guess I should find another hobbie. If you could help I would be a happier man, in my spare time, for it
Old 09-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man im about to do this same thing in a 76 nova with a 6.0 block and a f1r procharger. thats some seriously impressive numbers you have up there. nice swap. what kind of headers u go with?
Old 09-20-2009, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

First things first, to Louisianagulf, are you insane? Don't give up your car!!! Building cars is what its all about!!! OK, here's some additional info on my swap: For mounts I used the transdapt adapter mounts. They aren't exactly straight forward with installation, but with some slight modification they went together. Let me save you guys some headaches, the GM upper "clamshell" mounts that I used were too shallow, and my manual steering drag link contacted my oil pan. So we had to weld longer ears on the mounts to clear everything. About 1.5 inches did the trick. Headers, this is a funny story, I've been trying to put this engine in my 64 Nova for too damn long now, finally said screw it, and put engine and tranny in the 77 Nova. I want a stock suspension car anyway, and 64 is ladder bar car. So I ordered headers from S&S Headers, in Arizona I think, for the LS motor in the 64 with a Heidt's front sub frame. With a little clearancing on my upper motor mounts they went right in my 77 miraculously!! We did have to clearance my crossmember on the passenger side by heating with a torch, and a little hammer persuation. These headers are very nice headers, a little spendy, but you gotta have them, so it is well worth it!!! I also built my own adapter plate for the transmission crossmember for the 64, and it works in the 77 too. I need to take more pics to better explain some of the details here. I would be more than happy to help anyone else with similar swaps in any way I can!!! I'm also excited to see other disco era Nova LS builds!! Hey Outlawnova, that Procharged 6.0 in a Disco Nova sounds bad ***!!! Keep me posted for sure!! Good to hear from you guys, don't be shy!!!!!

Originally Posted by 350SS
Looks good so far... My buddy is considering the same swap on a '75... What headers, oil pan and motor mounts are you running?

Last edited by ten5nova; 09-20-2009 at 10:23 PM. Reason: poor grammar
Old 09-20-2009, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, that the car has grandma friendly 2.73 gears in it right now, but I think I'm going with a 3.90, or a 4.10. Also plan on a 200-4R overdrive at some time next year, some buddies and I are going to try to make it to Dragweek!!
Old 09-21-2009, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the info, I don't know alot about the disco novas, but I do have a 72 and a 65 I like the color of your 64 btw
Old 09-21-2009, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 350SS
Thanks for the info, I don't know alot about the disco novas, but I do have a 72 and a 65 I like the color of your 64 btw
Do the Nova's have LS engines? Would like to see them anyway!! I also forgot to mention that my 5.3 is out of an 03 Yukon, and that I used the stock truck oil pan, no modification necessary!! Once I got my motor mounts squared away, the pan fit very well, plenty of clearance on on the cross member. It might be a little close to the ground, but the car has the stock 14 inch rims on it right now, so I'm sure some 15 inch rims, and taller tires will help with that. Thanks on my paint, that is an 06' Chrysler color, I don't remember exactly what it's called? Something to do with tangerines and fire or some **** like that? BY THE WAY:

THE 64 NOVA IS FOR SALE!!! IT IS SET UP FOR AN LS ENGINE, MOSER 9" WITH LADDER BARS ON THE STOCK SPRINGS WITH FLAOTERS. CAR NEEDS SOME WORK TO FINISH, IT IS IN PROJECT MODE, BUT IT IS NOT FAR FROM GOING BACK TOGETHER!!! IT WOULD MAKE AND AWESOME BRACKET CAR, OR DRAG RADIAL, GRUDE, 8.5 OUTLAW OR WHATEVER TYPE OF HEADS UP RACE CAR!!! I WOULD LIKE TO GET 6500 OUT OF IT, BUT WILL TAKE OFFERS.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Just got back from the maiden voyage. Went for about a 20 mile drive. The carb is a little fat yet, but it cruised just fine, and didn't try to over heat, and I don't even have my electric fan working yet. My Husrt V-Matic II shifter is a total piece of **** too, so we really didn't get to get on it any, but the drive was more or less to see if everything was going to work OK, and all was well. I'm going to put in a Hurst Quarter Stick anyway. The car is long way from going down the track, but I'm just happy to have the thing running and drivable after all this time, we dyno'd the engine about 3.5 years ago. More to come, Later
Old 04-03-2014, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ten5nova
Here are some pics of my 77 Nova that we just put my 5.3 into. Just got it running last night, here are some pics. 5.3 is stock short block with ported factory heads, and Lunati cam, Vic Jr., and 750 Quick Fuel. 486 hp, 425 ft lbs on motor, 615 hp, 570 ft lbs on 125 shot of spray.
Sweet Nova for sure, and great times! I gotta know WHAT CAM ARE YOU RUNNING!!??! 486LBFT/425HP to the wheels is NUTS! I have a '73 Nova with a carb'd junkyard 01 5.3 and I am researching cams right now and I must know what you got in there that is turning that 5.3 into a junkyard jewel power house! Please reply, PM, email, call, smoke signal me!
Old 04-03-2014, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya ya ya, I know, its a long dead thread, but I gotta know what bumpstick is turning Dr Jekyll into Mr Hyde!

Quick Reply: 77 Nova with 5.3 (motor in, and running)