Sponsored by:

PCM Under the hood... How hot is too hot

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PCM Under the hood... How hot is too hot

Hey gang,
I just started driving my FC/LS2 swap around. The car has a D1SC and long tube headers (among other things). I popped the hood at the gas station on the maiden voyage, and the under hood temps were pretty high. The PCM is located in the passenger side of the engine compartment between the shock tower and the firewall. How hot is too hot for the PCM? I would have like to have placed the PCM inside the car but the harness length made that impractical. I am thinking about making a heatshield for it, but don't know if that will be enough.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

i get ridiculously high under hood temps in my syclone and I haven't had any problems with the ecm being there.

and
Old 04-18-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

BuildThread And this more recent shot:

Last edited by 96 Comp T/A; 04-18-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The truck PCM's are mounted under hood but do get airflow from the rad. alittle.

Any pictures of the actual PCM mount? If it gets some airflow and air can move around it it should be fine.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not worry too much about it.. If GM was concern, It would have been relocated a long time ago..

On the other hand.. .. It is a computer and they do operate better at a lower temp.

But you can just try and locate it somewhere that does have some air flow to it... but I wouldn't worry about it either way...
Old 04-19-2010, 05:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96 Comp T/A
Hey gang,
I just started driving my FC/LS2 swap around. The car has a D1SC and long tube headers (among other things). I popped the hood at the gas station on the maiden voyage, and the under hood temps were pretty high. The PCM is located in the passenger side of the engine compartment between the shock tower and the firewall. How hot is too hot for the PCM? I would have like to have placed the PCM inside the car but the harness length made that impractical. I am thinking about making a heatshield for it, but don't know if that will be enough.
If you put water on it and it boils then it is getting too hot. The chips inside it are good to above boiling these days.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You should see were it is on an 04 GTO...

This is from a High Performance Pontiac article about installing a ProCharger in an LS1 GTO. The computer is in the stock location. You can see the tops of the connectors hiding down there behind the blower. There is a heat shield between the header and the computer, but nothing to protect it from the hot coolant above, or the heat from the blower. You can see that the manifold is about an inch from the heat shield.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow. That's crazy, my PCM is temporarly located on my floorboard and must be frigid compared to the stock location.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I feel a lot better now. I have my GTO pcm on the drivers fender pretty well way from the header and had the same concern even though I know they're designed to be in the bay. Just didn't realize how close it was in the stock GTO.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

THIS HOT

Old 04-19-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

So thanks to everyone for the answers, I have included a pic I took tonight while I was buttoning it up, As you can see, it's basically between the firewall and the shock tower, not much air getting around it. It is about 9 inches from the coated headers that I have. I think that driving it is probably OK, but heatsinks like a **** when stopped. I will probably try to rig up some sort of a heatshield. The pic above of the GTO PCM is confidence inspiring.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris442
You should see were it is on an 04 GTO...
You gotta be kiddin' me! In that location, if the exhaust doesn't burn it, or the Dexcool doesn't short it out, dripping brake fluid should definietly finish it off.

A PCM can be placed anywhere, and that's where the designers put it?

Sheesh.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by eseibel67
You gotta be kiddin' me! In that location, if the exhaust doesn't burn it, or the Dexcool doesn't short it out, dripping brake fluid should definietly finish it off.

A PCM can be placed anywhere, and that's where the designers put it?

Sheesh.
That's the only place left after they put in the wet bar and pez dispenser on the other side of the engine bay. It's all about give and take.

I'm guessing it's going to be fairly tight for me too. I hadn't even thought about heat problems until I read this thread.

Quick Reply: PCM Under the hood... How hot is too hot