Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pre-Luber

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Oil Pre-Luber

I was browsing the net and a few magazine.. since I have not heard of anyone talking about this on the forum.. I think I bring it up.. it is a Engine Quest item.

http://www.aaeq.net/files/file/Instr...heets/pl40.pdf

seem like a good product to use ($35.00 ?), wonder how easy it would be to build one !?
Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the looks of those.. I read an article in car mag a couple months ago and saved it.. I'm going to try and get my motor primed without it, but if it gives me any fits, I will order one of these in a heartbeat.. I couldnt begin to build one for $35, or find the time for that matter! Seems like a real bargin..
Old 05-26-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i think theres a gm special tool thats about the same thing. never heard of anyone using it. im going to unplug the coils and the injector fuses and turn mine over until i have oil pressure.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bczee
I was browsing the net and a few magazine.. since I have not heard of anyone talking about this on the forum.. I think I bring it up.. it is a Engine Quest item.

That's 'cuz we pre-oil w/ Accusumps or full time pre-oilers. The unit in your link is only a before you start the engine pre-oiler. An Accusump or permanently installed pre-oiler also protects under high G cornering by adding oil & maintaining oil pressure when oil pressure drops.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1-450, Thanks for bring this to the attention of all on the subject of Accusumps .. I do understand what those are myself.

My intent on this thread was to let people know of this low cost Pre-luber that is on the market.

With all of the countless past threads I have read on the subject of dry startup, its concerns and the many crazy way of getting oil pressure prior to 1st startup.. (ie. pulling the fuse and cranking over till there is oil presure, over filling the oil, tilting the car/engine up to get oil to flow into the pickup and pump). This seem like a good one time low cost alternative or for any shop to have.

I have also read the one artical they did in Car Craft of using a 5 gal bucket, a old SBC oil pump, some hoses and fittings and a electric drill..

I think the percentage of people that would need to use the Moroso or Canton Accusumps oil Accumulators would be a very low percentage.. not that it isn't a great product and useful when needed...but I guest for the 90+ percent of us on this forum, it's Overkill (IMO and my 2 cents).. but then again, that what we car people love to do.. ! LOL
Old 05-27-2010, 05:52 AM
On The Tree

That thing is only $35? Seems like a great deal to me. I was going to do the "Pull fuse" thing, but really didn't want to. I had also read that car craft article, but I don't have an old oil pump laying around, plus filling a good chunk of a 5gal bucket with oil doesn't seem too appealing.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:59 AM
On The Tree

Looking around, the only place I could find a price for it was here, at $199. I thought I had read somewhere about it, and it being much more expensive than I wanted...
Old 05-27-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hmm.. I'll have to go back to the magazine that I read and check..
Old 05-27-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just checked the mag that I saw it in.. it was posted in the April's 10' Car Craft, page 44 where they listed it at $35.00, they must have mis-printed the price as I called the manufacture and the Retail is $206.00.. well there goes the cheap solution. But it is still a great product if you can aford it.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

Guys, I'm in the final stages of assembly on my new LS2 shortblock and this prelubing has me somewhat worried. I picked up an AM2268 Auto Meter 16mm to 1/8" npt adapter which allows me to attach a grease gun to my oil system. I plan on filling up the grease gun with the 5w30 motor oil and priming the system with that. If you have an electric or pneumatic grease gun it will be much faster than a lever operated one. I'll keep everyone posted with how this works, but there is a chance that it'll work pretty slick.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

YES that mag misprinted its $35.00 price. They (the mag) did a correction on the price at a latter date. CarCraft.com did a DIY preluber with a bucket and a SBC oilpump in the June 2009 issue.

IIRC I posted a link on this very subject before. It might be eaiser just to go to CC's site and do the search.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Teching In

I work for Canton Racing. The company who invented the accusump.

An accusump provides pre-oiling to the engine on start up and it also stores oil for surge protection as well.

Say you make a 1/4 mile pass and your engine loses pressure on shut down.

The accusump will discharge the stored oil into the engine so that the engine can maintain oil pressure and keep the bearings and etc lubricated.

If you have any questions about the accusump feel free to ask me man.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Launching!

Can a person not do this same thing with a pump up sprayer? Just need to get one without the pressure relief and should do the same thing for about 1/10th the price. I have seen similar uses of a pump up sprayer well above 45 psi.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Two things. First I’ll bet you could make something like that by going to Homers and getting an expansion tank for a water heater. They have a rubber bladder in them with a Schrader valve. Put the oil in where the water goes, hook up a shut off value and hose barbs to the motor, then pump the bladder full of air and away you go.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...7&ddkey=Search

Second thing, the installation guide GM sends out with their LS crate motors doesn’t require a pre luber. They say to just crank it over without starting it until you see oil pressure.

http://paceperformance.com/ProductIm.../LS376-515.pdf

1. This engine assembly needs to be filled with oil. After installing the engine, ensure the crankcase has been
filled with the appropriate motor oil to the recommended oil fill level on the dipstick. The LS376/515 crate engine
requires a special oil meeting GM Standard GM4718M (this will be specified on the oil label). Mobil 1 is one such
recommended oil. Other oils meeting this standard may be identified as synthetic. However, not all synthetic oils
will meet this GM standard. Look for and use only an oil that meets GM Standard GM4718M. Also check and fill
as required any other necessary fluids such as coolant, power steering fluid, etc.
2. The engine should be primed with oil before starting. Install an oil pressure gauge (the existing oil pressure sensor
location at the upper rear of the engine may be used). Disconnect fuel and the ignition control system (removing
power from the ignition control module is recommended). Note: Be sure that neither fuel or ignition can be provided
to the engine.
3. Once the fuel and ignition control systems have been disconnected, crank the engine using the starter for 10 seconds
and check for oil pressure. If no pressure is indicated, wait 30 seconds and crank again for 10 seconds.
Repeat this process until oil pressure is indicated on the gauge.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

You know, this is not Rocket Sicence here, and neither is the Gen III/IV engine.. it just another engine (a good one at that, but). It is really nothing more that pumping oil from an externeal source through one of the engines ports. This can be done by a hand pump or using some type of pressurized container connected to a port on the engine.

I'm sure anyone can rig up some back wood contraption and it will work just find.. The CC Mag is just one attempt that will show you anything can work. even using a bucket and an old SBC oil pump.

But as Pop posted, GM doesn't even pre-lub...
Old 07-02-2010, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Good points everyone. I still ended up using a grease gun and pumping oil until I saw it at the pushrods. Perfect oil pressure right at start up so I'm good to go!

Quick Reply: Oil Pre-Luber