Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a NON spring loaded LS1 belt tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Default Anyone have a NON spring loaded LS1 belt tensioner?

I'm looking for a non spring loaded belt tensioner for my 2001 LS1. I'm using F body brackets with a home made A/C bracket all run on the same belt, but the compressor slips. If you manually put more tension on the tensioner, it works fine. I have almost 3/4 belt wrap around the compressor, so that's not the problem, and I've tried shorter belts, but they are nearly impossible to get on they're so tight. Anybody have any idea where I could find such a thing???
Old 06-26-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

http://store.katechengines.com/bille...sioner-p2.aspx
Old 06-26-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

They had a 15% special going on thru facebook too, its in the sponsor sales section. https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...week-only.html
Old 06-26-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Word of caution about fixed/adjustable tensioners. You do not have a V-belt setup, serp belts stretch and a static tensioner will allow the belt to loosen as it stretches and your slipping problem will get worse. When you shut the engine off and load on the belt returns to zero it will appear tight once again. Watch a dyno video and the tensioner will dance quite a bit regardless of engine type

If the tensioner movement is not fluid it needs to be replaced. If the belt is slack, get a shorter one

http://www.goodyearep.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=3128

If you cant find the proper size belt in there, you're doing it wrong
Old 06-27-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a used Katech solid tensioner i was going to post up for sale if your interested.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
I have a used Katech solid tensioner i was going to post up for sale if your interested.
How much? And was there something you didn't like about it?
Old 06-27-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you do have to watch them and check/ retighten more than an old v-belt setup, but not to the point of being crazy. There are a lot of fixed tension point serpentine belt setups out there. My dealings so far have just been that they need a little attention upon first setup as they usually stretch pretty quickly. After that its a matter of checking up on it once in a while.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the responses. I got the Katech tensioner using the Facebook discount. Works great, and the A/C doesn't sound like a witch being boiled in oil when it's first turned on anymore!
Old 07-08-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Thanks for the responses. I got the Katech tensioner using the Facebook discount. Works great, and the A/C doesn't sound like a witch being boiled in oil when it's first turned on anymore!
excellent way to put it!
Old 07-11-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vintage air setup is also screaming like a witch, and i have a good wrap on the compressor as well. I tried lowering the pressure in the system but now it does not blow too cool and occasionally screams , so i guess i will try what you did to see if that is the problem. never would have thought that was the problem. JOHN
Old 07-11-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by john 67
My vintage air setup is also screaming like a witch, and i have a good wrap on the compressor as well. I tried lowering the pressure in the system but now it does not blow too cool and occasionally screams , so i guess i will try what you did to see if that is the problem. never would have thought that was the problem. JOHN
I had alot of belt wrap too, and tried putting shorter belts on it with no luck either. It was extremelly hard to get the belt on too, holding the tensioner all the way up, with the Katech tensioner, the same belt goes on easily because you're not fighting the spring in the factory tensioner.

An easy was to test if it will work for you is to put a 15mm wrench on the tensioner when it's screeching and pull down on it there for putting a little more tension on the belt, if that stops it, then the adjustable tensioner should aleviate the problem. When I first put it on it screeched, but with the engine running I loosened the bolt that holds it tight, then with a ratchet (there's a square hole for it) put just enough tension on it to stop the squeal, then tightened it back up. Haven't heard a peep out of it since.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a NON spring loaded LS1 belt tensioner?