Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another LSx S-10 headr option

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another LSx S-10 headr option

Hey all. Sent off a message to a mod here to make sure this was OK. If for any reason something is posted that is concerning to a mod, please let me know.

To all S-10 LSx swap guys. I am working with American Racin Headers to build my long tubes for my 98' 2 wheel drive S-10. I am trying to drum up some interest to see if they are worth putting into production.

What I have is a 1998 2 wheel drive S-10. It will be recieving an LQ-4 this summer with a T-56. This truck will be lowered with a ZQ-8 suspension and will be running at least a 255 tire up front.

The goal is to make a tue long tube with a minimum 1 3/4 primary tube and a 3" collector. The biggest stipulation is that the headers have to be made to exit inside the frame (not in the wheel wells), be high enough not to hit the ground on a lowered truck (unless you are on air bags, then it's your issue if it hits), clear the A/C box, and have room to change spark plugs. They will have a ture 1 3/4 primary. Not just bumped up at the flange and then be really a 1 5/8 again.

These headers will be made using my truck as a test truck. It will be late summer before these are even ready to view. But, if I can get interest and even buyers lined up (at least 10-15), they will make them a production header for any to buy. The projected cost could be in the range of $1200. That being said, buy a set of quality headers for a Vette, F-Body, GTO or other high performance car. You will pay similar pricing. I am paying much more than that for the one off set. And will be pushing to get them into production if there is enough interest.

Please keep in mind. My truck will have the engine in the foward posistion using the typical 2.8 mounts with engine plates like the ebay ones. I will also be using the LH-8 oil pan. I will not say these will fit a 4 wheel drive. I am certain they will not.

At this moment, ARH and I are still in the planning phase. And They are not tied into building me anything. I did this this permission from them and a moderator here. If all works out, we will have a great header for people looking for quality, fitment (if using the same parts and placing the engine in the same place), and performance over the other options we have.

PM me if there is more info needed.

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have gotten aa few PM's in regards to some of the things I posted up. I can see the confusion as I babbled on a bit. So below is the info needed.

These headers WILL be a 304 stainless steel.

They will be made to work with they typical EBAY type engine mounting brakets and stadard 2.8 rubber engine mounts.

The headers WILL NOT exit outside the frame and be in the wheel wells at all. So running a large tire with say a 9.5 rim will not be an issue as far as the headers are concered.

The production units are slated to be a 1 3/4. Options to have a 1 3/4 steped to a 1 7/8 is possible but not set in stone.

Again, these are for trucks that are 2 wheel drive and are using an LH-8 pan. Or something similar in width to that pan. I cannot promise they will fit any other pan.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:34 PM
Launching!

why not try to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and make them fit both 2 wheel drive and 4x4 applications. If your going to invest time/money, I would try get the most return possible. It might open up to alot more sales. Just my .02 cents on it.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd be interested. I've been looking around for a project S-10 truck or blazer.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stormed_Norm
why not try to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and make them fit both 2 wheel drive and 4x4 applications. If your going to invest time/money, I would try get the most return possible. It might open up to alot more sales. Just my .02 cents on it.
The trucks are so differant, and there is no good swap pan or mounting kit avalible that works for the 4x4's yet. I could try some things. But even if I do, I will bet that no matter what you did, the 4x4 will need a much more complicated exhaust.

I also am not building a 4x4 truck. And I cannot invest the extra cash into a 4x4 and a 2wd (I want the 2wd and have a 2wd truck in the works now). I would believe that the trucks would need a much differant system no mater what you could do.

Maybe in the future when I can afford to build a 4x4, I might try and make a kit that works. But for now, I have to leave that up to someone else.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post this at s10forum.com. A sponsor over there did somewhere between 15 and 20 sets of 1 3/4 LTs in two runs and I think they were over $1000 each...IN MILD STEEL! I would buy a set when I get done with my swap. I'm in the middle of swapping my LS1(LS6 heads/intake mild cam) and fully built 4l60 into a 1996 RCSB. I already bought the sanderson POS coated headers but would have loved to drop the coin on a set of ARHs as I have a set in my SSS and love them.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Teching In

I'd buy a set if they would fit an 02 with a 5.3 and a T56
Old 03-23-2011, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I beleive CPW made a couple batches of the headers and either didn't have the space or time or whatever. Now the design has been sold to RetroLSX and the price was reportedly like $2k for a set of stainless LT's

Shame there isn't alot of companies making these for S10s, it's a pretty popular swap and after I'm done with my car, I may do my daily driver
Old 03-24-2011, 06:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss454327
Post this at s10forum.com. A sponsor over there did somewhere between 15 and 20 sets of 1 3/4 LTs in two runs and I think they were over $1000 each...IN MILD STEEL! I would buy a set when I get done with my swap. I'm in the middle of swapping my LS1(LS6 heads/intake mild cam) and fully built 4l60 into a 1996 RCSB. I already bought the sanderson POS coated headers but would have loved to drop the coin on a set of ARHs as I have a set in my SSS and love them.
How are they with sponcerships? As I am not a sponcer, nor is ARH I believe. So posting something trying to sell a non sponcer item might be a big problem. I definatly want to make my way over there and drum up more interest. But I do not want to **** off any current sponcers and or moderators.

Originally Posted by Arad68
I'd buy a set if they would fit an 02 with a 5.3 and a T56
These will fit any LS engine. All but the LSx raised engine block types. But the 4.8, 5.3 (aluminum and iron blocks), 6.0 (LQ-4 and LQ-9), LS-1, 2, 3, 6 and other production GM LS engines.

Originally Posted by 01cherryreds10
I beleive CPW made a couple batches of the headers and either didn't have the space or time or whatever. Now the design has been sold to RetroLSX and the price was reportedly like $2k for a set of stainless LT's

Shame there isn't alot of companies making these for S10s, it's a pretty popular swap and after I'm done with my car, I may do my daily driver
I did see something on there web sight. But nothing could be purchased.

I am hoping to keep pricing down. It was estimated that a set of uncoated long tubes in 304 stainless will go for $1200. I would like to see it lower, but the low numbers being produced is keeping the cost over $1k.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you make a thread exactly like this one over there, you will be alright. As long as you yourself are not making them and say here call me at xxxx to buy them.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:05 AM
8 Second Club

I'll keep my eye on this one as well. American Racing headers are beautiful.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

I would buy a set but I just bought some CPW LT headers.

I hope this works out. There are Alot of guys looking for LT, just got to get his info out to everyone! Also it is nice there going to be made out of stainless!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

CPWire posted this over there for you...they seem really relaxed about posting non sponsor products. Like someone said this thread would fly fine.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Please keep this thread updated, I would like to hear if this happens, may be interested in a set myself, as long as they fit in all the tight spots.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

i will be looking for some headers soon for my s-10 that im swapping a 5.3l in, but my s-10 is bagged and lays frame so i will have to see if they make them fit above the frame rail.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would buy a set if they where not lower then the frame at any point. I am static dropped but only have 2" from the ground to frame.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looking to try and keep them above the frame rails. It all depends on how the primaries fit when merged with the collector. I would like my whole exhaust including the headers to tuck above the lowest point in the frame for both looks and safty of the exhaust. We will see when the system is built.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss454327
CPWire posted this over there for you...they seem really relaxed about posting non sponsor products. Like someone said this thread would fly fine.
Did they take my thread here and copy it and post it there? Or did they post a link to this thread?

I will have to check it out. I need to get over there anyways.

Do you have a link?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by oct03gto
Did they take my thread here and copy it and post it there? Or did they post a link to this thread?

I will have to check it out. I need to get over there anyways.

Do you have a link?
all he did is post a link here, thats how i found this thread.
heres the link to his post over there http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/f...-tubes-465942/
Old 03-25-2011, 06:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks. I found it last night and posted something up. Hopefully it helps and we can get more interest.

Quick Reply: Another LSx S-10 headr option