Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1973 vs. 1974+ 2nd Gen Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 02:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1973 vs. 1974+ 2nd Gen Camaro

I've been searching with no luck so, if this topic has already been covered I apologize.

I've been looking at possibly doing a LSX swap into a 1970-1973 camaro. 70-73 look the best IMHO, followed closely by 69. But finding a 70-73 camaro in half way decent shape and running is almost like looking for a 69 now-a-days. I personally don't care for the 74-81 camaro's, front end and rear end are fuggly, but you can get them in really good condition, and running for under 3K easily.

I know that the 70-73 and the 74-81 share a lot of parts, even their hoods. So whats the main differences between the two body wise? Has anyone ever put the 70-73 front and rear end on a 74+ 3rd gen? Does anyone know what would take to do so? I haven't seen many 3rd gen's in person so I really don't know. Anyone that does know feel free to chime in. Thanks

Last edited by TFord; 04-09-2011 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Main appearance difference are the rear window and front and rear bumpers. Yes you can put the front of the 70-73 on the 74-81 but you would have to change fenders on the 78-81 as well. And the rear would be possible, but with a lot of fabbing since the body is different. And 70-81 are "2nd gens" not third. Btw 74-81s aren't too bad, just depends what you do to them.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mice13
Main appearance difference are the rear window and front and rear bumpers. Yes you can put the front of the 70-73 on the 74-81 but you would have to change fenders on the 78-81 as well. And the rear would be possible, but with a lot of fabbing since the body is different. And 70-81 are "2nd gens" not third. Btw 74-81s aren't too bad, just depends what you do to them.
Yeah, I figured the front end would be the easy part. I've been told that the rear window is the same on the 74 as well. 75-81 is when the window dimensions changed. If thats true you'd need to do some fab work for the quarters and bumper swap. I don't know what I was thinking with the 3rd Gen...its been fixed. I've got nothing agains the 74-81 2nd gen's. The later year models aren't bad at all. Its just looking at a 73 and then the 74, in particular, is like WTF. For example the 2nd gen in your sig is very nice. I love the split bumper RS. It'll be my first build and It's not for an investment. Its to enjoy so I don't mind having a split bumper 74. Can't get exactly what I want I'll make it. just gotta make sure I don't bite off more than I can chew. I'm decent with a welder, but body fab work of this kind is an unfamiliar territory. Thanks mice!
Old 04-09-2011, 06:46 AM
Staging Lane

Just verified it, the rear windows are the same from 70-74.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Hold out for the one you want and keep looking. There is nothing worse than having a bunch of time and money in a car when you really want something else.

You might consider getting a really rough 70 to 73 that has the parts you need and then pick up a nicer 74-81 to use as a parts car or vice-versa.

The only hard part would be cutting out and welding in the rear body panel from a 70-73 into a 74-81.

The rear window difference you may not even care about unless you are trying to make it look identical.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Thanks 4 the compliment, it's a 78, we restored it back in '07, and I'm about to finish with the ls1 swap. Good luck with finding what you may like though.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

its getting hard to find camaros and novas in any condition i have a 80 camaro it was pure dumb luck to find it in the condition it was in we are going to have to embrace the g body more just because of their number i think i might start looking for a pontiac grand prix for my next build...
Old 04-14-2011, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by boogiewonderland
its getting hard to find camaros and novas in any condition i have a 80 camaro it was pure dumb luck to find it in the condition it was in we are going to have to embrace the g body more just because of their number i think i might start looking for a pontiac grand prix for my next build...
Yeah I hear ya. Out here in my neck of the woods getting a half decent running 70-73 camaro is about 7-8K and up. If you find one thats a roller its usually rusted to hell and they still want 3K for it. If I did do the clone it would have to be a 74 because it still has the same rear window, so you'd just need to swap out the front. If your feeling froggy cut and weld the rear quarters from the 73 and swap the tail panel. I'm finding 74's that run, some with built and documented engines for no more than 6K. All the one's I've seen just need paint, which was apart of the plan anyway. And clean interiors which is just a big plus.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a way-rusty '71, and found a '77 parts car. I found it easy to make the '77 look like a '71, and it shaved a good bit of weight, also. After sitting in both cars several times in 5 minutes, I decided I preferred the larger back window in the '77. Better lane-change / passing visibility and not as dark-feeling.
Everything needed for the retrofit is available from all the big resto companies.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Isolde
I had a way-rusty '71, and found a '77 parts car. I found it easy to make the '77 look like a '71, and it shaved a good bit of weight, also. After sitting in both cars several times in 5 minutes, I decided I preferred the larger back window in the '77. Better lane-change / passing visibility and not as dark-feeling.
Everything needed for the retrofit is available from all the big resto companies.
Dusting off a slightly old thread here, but I just picked up a 72 Camaro (pretty rough shape body and interior, but no rust - Arizona car).

Was wondering what will transfer over from a parts car (77-80 ish) to a 72?
Can I use (from a 1980):
Doors?
Windshield?
Interior?
Front Fenders?
Brakes?
Rear end?
Power Steering / Steering Column ?

Hope someone can help me with this... I may have bitten off more than I can chew! LOL

I'm not looking for authenticity at this point, but just functionality...

Thanks for any help!

Quick Reply: 1973 vs. 1974+ 2nd Gen Camaro