Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 brake conversion Threads

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default LS1 brake conversion Threads

Guys, I am doing the LS1 Brake on my rear of my 71' Nova (same as 1st Gen F-Body).

I know I will need the rear spacer.. so no issue there.

I want to make sure the e-brake works. I know I have seen it done two ways, but I can not find them threads now. (dang, I must be getting old !)

One was to flip the inside for the cable and arm setup and the other was to use two right side backing plate and setup..

Anyone got them threads handy ? Oh, which way have you done them (for those who have) ?

thanks, still searching...

BC
Old 06-20-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting...

If you have any questions about how the factory brakes look on an F-Body with a 9 inch I can snap a few pictures for you. I'm about to do some house cleaning in the rear axle department and will have it all apart in the next day or so anyway. Let me know what you want pictures of and what angles and I'll take them.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello here are a couple swaps with the LS brake conversion that I followed, the first one is for A-body and if you go to around post #180 he starts the brake conversion there. The second is for a X-body and the brakes start around post #175. On the first thread for the A-body I chimed in on how I got my emergency brakes to work on my 1966 GTO A-body. I installed front and rear LS brakes on my car and it is a nice improvement over my original drum/drum single reservoir set up that my car originally had, plus the fact all parts are available at your local auto parts store. Wait I second that I am doing another similar swap for a friend and no one in town (Oreillys, Autozone, Pep Boys) had the rear calipers in stock but everyboy said they could still get them with a 2-3 day wait. I am forgetting even the 1998-2002 LS brakes are going on 13-14 years being out of production, Damn time flies! I also posted my post on how I did my emergency brake cable below, If you have any questions let me know. And yes we are getting old!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ld-thread.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ap-thread.html

Well maybe I can help I just did the LS1 brakes on my 66 GTO and hers is how I did it, I installed the LH backing plate and caliper to the RH side of my car and vice versa the RH backing plate and caliper to the LH side of the car so the caliper is towards the rear of the car if you are looking at it from the side of the car, that way the little hook arms that activate the emergency brake shoes inside the rotor will need to be pulled towards the front of the car like the original set up. I then cut the inner cable out of the original GTO ebrake cables and then I cut the inner cable out of the 1998-2002 ebrake cable because it has the correct eyelet at the end of the cable that will be attached to the hook on the backing plate and then I fed the cable through the original GTO ebrake cable housing and cut it to the same length as the original GTO ebrake cable length, both the GTO and 1998-2002 cables are 1/8 in size, and then I got some aluminum barrel stops from Lowes hardware store and crimped them on to to the end of the cable, I had to fabricate some mounts to hold the other end of the cable, I used some 1" angle iron to make them and mounted it to (2) of the backing plate bolts, I got the cable mounting bracket idea from another member on here under the name of c6matt in his thread page #9 you can see the brackets design that he came up with, I made them in about a hour with just a drill and angle grinder, the whole set up works very well

Last edited by lizeec; 06-20-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check this out

http://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?61780-C5-Disc-Brake-Swap-for-67-69-Camaro
Old 06-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Launching!

HI: Related question. Do 15 inch Pontiac rally wheels fit over the 12 inch LS1 brakes on a 72 Lemans, GTO? I heard they do with a little grinding off the top of the calipers? If you are using 12 inch front brakes and 11 inch rear drums will it work properly with the stock master cylinder and metering and proportioning valve? Don't really like rear disk brakes beacuse you have to change over to a disk brake master cylinder and use an adjustable propotioning valve, which I hear is not DOT street legal? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

I installed 4th gen f-body brakes(i don't like the term ls1 brakes) on my chevelle. I set the lever to be pulled to the front of the car. I then used the ebrake cable bracket from the donor car and modified it to bolt to the lower control arm bolt. I then used the cables from a explorer which I got from a local pick n pull. The f-body, blazers and explorer have similar cable end hook/eyelet. Then you can cut the cable out of your original housing and install the new cable with hook. I then used cable ties to fasten the new cables to the original chevelle cables.

You can install a barrel end for a more professional install but it is not as adjustable. This setup has worked perfectly and is really simple. If you did not get the ebrake/control arm bracket from the donor car someone posted a nice bracket made out of angle iron.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

^^^Haha that looks famaliar..

Notice the Turnbuckle..works great for fine adjustment.

I used LT1 Camaro Brakes on mine, clear 15" Draglites really well..
Old 06-24-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the ideas friends.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know my 15" Camaro Rally wheels (3rd gen) will not fit over the Caliper.. it will just fit with the rotors, right now I have it sitting on the ground without brake caliper...just so I can roll it around.

What are the 72 Pontiac rally rims. are they steel or alum..?. they also has non-disk brake rim and disk brake rim back in the day. That can also be an issue for your 72 Pontiac rims.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Launching!

HI BCZEE: The car I was looking to purchase haven't got it yet is very unique. It is a 72 Lemans made into a 70 GTO Clone. It has 14 inch Rally wheels at present so I know they are no good. I am not sure that any 69-72 Lemans or GTO's came from the factory with 15 inch wheels. If I get the car I will have to investigate further, I know 76-77 Grand Prix Rally wheels where 15 inch but I am not sure if they used the same bolt pattern? If I get the car I may just go with the 4 wheel disk setup I read that Inline Tube sells the correct lines and proportioning valve. Also I think a 4th gen corvette master cylinder will work in the brake swap. Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679

Quick Reply: LS1 brake conversion Threads