Sponsored by:

Water/coolant in the header/exhaust LS1

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 04:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water/coolant in the header/exhaust LS1

Hi. I have a 2000 camaro SS ls1 engine.

Last night I had my engine running for the first time and I noticed loads of water coming out of the exhaust. I thought I would keep running it to see if it would clear. On idle the engine runs well.

When I bought the engine the oil was dirty but had no water in it and it still hasn't now. There is also no throth or bubbles in the coolant. It is as if the water is going straight out of the exhaust.

It is a fast rate as you can see it dripping out and the water goes down in the radiator fast.

Few other possible related problems. When I got the engine I put the Ls6 intake manifold on and when I took the old manifold off I noticed engine oil in the manifold. I guess this might be from the engine falling over in transit? Any ideas?

Also when I rev the engine at about 2000rpm occasionally there is a loud bang like something in the engine is broken. It will then run fine again.

Any help would be amazing.

Cheers.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

Depending on the temperature and humidity, getting some water out of the exhaust could be normal, especially if the car has been sitting for awhile. I used to always get this in my Chevelle.
The radiator level going down on a first start could also be normal as it fills the block and all passageways in the motor.

How long did you let the car run?
Did you refill the radiator, and the level continued to drop?
Is the water that comes out of the exhaust pure water, or is there antifreeze in it?

My initial guess is that these are normal startup things. The 2k rpm bang is unusual though.

Troy
Old 11-01-2011, 07:14 AM
On The Tree

Pictures of the amount of water on the floor would be good for trouble shooting and or a short video so we can see. Sounds like the normal moisture in the pipes coming out along with the motor filling up all the water passages like stated above and the bang could be a back fire from something because if something was broke it would run like crap at idle most likely or you would hear the banging all the time.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 71Fakes
Depending on the temperature and humidity, getting some water out of the exhaust could be normal, especially if the car has been sitting for awhile. I used to always get this in my Chevelle.
The radiator level going down on a first start could also be normal as it fills the block and all passageways in the motor.

How long did you let the car run?
Did you refill the radiator, and the level continued to drop?
Is the water that comes out of the exhaust pure water, or is there antifreeze in it?

My initial guess is that these are normal startup things. The 2k rpm bang is unusual though.

Troy
There is a lot of water and it is the colour of the antifreeze. We had it running for maybe 10minutes in total and the water level in the rad would just keep going down as it poured out of the exhaust.

Also when we ran it with no water in a all it didn't want to idle as well and you could hear the radiator sucking.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:34 AM
Teching In

check my you tube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/Lukesedz?feature=mhee

There are 3 videos on there, 1 of a noise in the engine but this comes and goes. Sometimes it isn't there.

There is 1 video of all the stem, this is after 10 minutes of running so it isn't water in the exhaust etc. It is coolant as on the floor you could see the colour of it and there were 2 puddles maybe 8" in diameter.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What is the deal with 5 second videos? Kind of like 5 minute sex, from an effort standpoint that isn't even worth posting.

I know you don't want to hear this but if you do have water coming through the engine, you probably have cooked head gaskets. At least you now have an excuse to get them milled and raise the compression or upgrade to a better set.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
you probably have cooked head gaskets. At least you now have an excuse to get them milled and raise the compression or upgrade to a better set.
If it was my head gaskets wouldn't I get the usual symptoms or do LS1's not do that?
Old 11-01-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

probly got crack in an exhaust port if its not going into the oil pull your headers off and all your plugs if its in a port and not on a plug then its crack for sure in exhaust port if plug shitty then could be a head gasket or crack in combustion chamber.

ive seen lots of engines with both these problems could be something else but start here before complete teardown
Beaudacious
Old 11-01-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

if you have coolant entering the exhaust through the head gasket then you should also have compression bleeding through the head gasket, do a compression test, but if your seeing coolant come out the exhaust i would also think the oil pan should be full water too if its a head gasket problem. you put a ls6 intake what did you do about the coolant crossover tubes?

Quick Reply: Water/coolant in the header/exhaust LS1