Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with a few unanswered questions on an LS swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help with a few unanswered questions on an LS swap

Hey guy let me first start by saying this all started after I blew the T-5 in my GT about 4 months ago (it wasn't even at the track either ). After going back and forth with the idea i'm not highly considering doing a 5.3 swap considering the cost involved with building an AOD for it and fixing all the other crap on it. So the plans for right now are a 5.3 or a 6.0 if funds allow, 4L80E, new Camaro manifolds, PSI harness and LS intake and oil pan (for now so I can just have a car to drive again). But im still confused on a few things and haven't been able to find any answers to them so here it goes

1) I have a triple core mustang radiator can I use that or do I have to get a F-body one?

2) Can someone show me a detailed way/thread to build a cross member?

3) Which accessory brackets do I use? I've read different things so i'd like that cleared up (I would like to keep PS and A/C).

4) Will a shifter from 87+ 4cyl LX bolt up fine with an 85 console or is it offset (I know the console is but I can't remember what the shifter looks like).

5) What TB cable bracket do I use?

6) O and what shifter cable do I use (I've heard of an aftermarket one to use)

Sorry for all the questions guys but I hope you can help
Old 03-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jleews6
Hey guy let me first start by saying this all started after I blew the T-5 in my GT about 4 months ago (it wasn't even at the track either ). After going back and forth with the idea i'm not highly considering doing a 5.3 swap considering the cost involved with building an AOD for it and fixing all the other crap on it. So the plans for right now are a 5.3 or a 6.0 if funds allow, 4L80E, new Camaro manifolds, PSI harness and LS intake and oil pan (for now so I can just have a car to drive again). But im still confused on a few things and haven't been able to find any answers to them so here it goes

1) I have a triple core mustang radiator can I use that or do I have to get a F-body one?

2) Can someone show me a detailed way/thread to build a cross member?

3) Which accessory brackets do I use? I've read different things so i'd like that cleared up (I would like to keep PS and A/C).

4) Will a shifter from 87+ 4cyl LX bolt up fine with an 85 console or is it offset (I know the console is but I can't remember what the shifter looks like).

5) What TB cable bracket do I use?

6) O and what shifter cable do I use (I've heard of an aftermarket one to use)

Sorry for all the questions guys but I hope you can help
got like 3 minutes before i have to leave for class, so lets see what i can answer lol

basically any radiator will work fine, ls engines dont ask for much when it comes to that dept.

crossmember should be fairly straight forward/google search some images or check out some that are specifically made for your car with a 4l80e

just use the factory drive-by-wire throttle cable setup

as for a shifter, why not go with a b&m pro stick or something along those lines?
Old 03-08-2012, 04:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^Yes to all.
Love that 65 Chevelle!
Old 03-08-2012, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good one less thing i gitta buy lol and i'll look again lol. I wanna say we didnt wanna do that with a previous car but maybe that was beefore the wring harness. As for the shifter I want a stock one for the stock look (even though i have the MC Machine gauge plates lol). Hopefully I can get everything soon so I can go to work in something nice lol.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

1. your radiator will work fine
2.can't help with a how-to but I do know AJE sells one if you don't want to build one
3.Use f-body accessories if you want to keep the stock hood, the truck accessories place the alternator too high.
4.you may have to modify the cable end to make it work. numerous people are using stock shifters, the only downside is you can't manually shift to 1st gear.
5.f-body bracket with minor modification to accommodate the mustang cable.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I saw the AJE one but it saisld it was for a TH400 so I wasnt sure if it'd work or not. If it will then im gettin one cause they look cleaner. Good to know thanks! And the 4 cyl have an extra detent for first do i'd be all set .
Old 03-08-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did a search an it seems like a lot of people modify a stock v8 xmember. That's what I am going to do.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jleews6
I saw the AJE one but it saisld it was for a TH400 so I wasnt sure if it'd work or not. If it will then im gettin one cause they look cleaner. Good to know thanks! And the 4 cyl have an extra detent for first do i'd be all set .
Call AJE, you can order directly from them. They have great customer service.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like they have pretty muh answered everything. It's been done so many times now, that it's a pretty straight forward swap
Old 03-13-2012, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I was just a little confused on these things cause I couldn't find much on them but i'm good now . Ordering parts today

Quick Reply: Need help with a few unanswered questions on an LS swap